Ozric's small tort - Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I mentioned that one of my tortoises was small and Terry has observed it is probably not. Maybe Terry has seen lots of 3.5 year old Hermanns that are a lot smaller than 52mm and 35g. Must be a miniature US subspecies of Hermanns as we very rarely get them in Europe!!

Terry comments as well on the uneven appearance of the scutes and this is correct. However its by no means as noticeable as you might think from this photo because the picture that I put up was hugely bigger than the actual tortoise.

Please can I see the reseach data on the required humidity level for Hermanns as this is something I have been looking for? High levels of humidity can be fatal for Hermanns which is partly why we are trying to get them out of tanks. Although a word like 'high' has no real meaning; what is the % humidity we should aim for and how do we achieve it?

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks that's useful but it does not state what humidity level is suitabel for Hermanns. I'm using a sand/soil substrate over half the indoor accomodations. Maybe I need to moisten it with a plant mister?

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi Ozric

I mist the Hermann's I have once a day with a plant mister. Does your little guy have a place to soak? The two I acquired soak themselves first thing in the morning...I need to get them a bigger water dish cause they wait turns getting in and out of the one they have now, lol. My vet told me to keep the humidity in their enclosure around 35-50%, but no higher because it can cause RIs.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
My humidity ranges from 30% in the winter to 80% in the summer and over that sometimes. I've never had a Hermanns tortoise get an RI from the humidity. I'm talking air humidity as mine are always on a dry substrate.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Do they have a humid hide?

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks all!

This is useful. I have a water dish that the torts can walk into (its part buried in substrate) though from observation they mainly walk in there when they are roaming about, rather than to soak.

Also have a separate water dish for drinking.

I bathe them several times a week.

The humidity on the table is around 40%.

I'll see if I can come with a damper microclimate thats an option for them and see if they use it. I weclome any more suggestions.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You still haven't said if they have a humid hide.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi ITort

they have a number of places including a plastic tub over hemp, a wooden hollow half-log (over soil and sand) and a cardboard food tray which is on top of a piece of wood. All get used at different times. Don't know if we would call these humid. (I do throw them out frequently and put in new ones)

They can also dig in the soil/sand or the hemp and if they do so are protected from evaporation.

Do you have a suggestion for a humid hide as I would be intersted in trying this. Most sources say for Hermanns to keep dry but allow access to water for drinking. Some say that these tortoises use burrows dug by other creatures and it can be humid in there. On the whole the mediterranean countries are very dry in summer.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Ozric said:
I mentioned that one of my tortoises was small and Terry has observed it is probably not. Maybe Terry has seen lots of 3.5 year old Hermanns that are a lot smaller than 52mm and 35g. Must be a miniature US subspecies of Hermanns as we very rarely get them in Europe!!

Terry comments as well on the uneven appearance of the scutes and this is correct. However its by no means as noticeable as you might think from this photo because the picture that I put up was hugely bigger than the actual tortoise.

Please can I see the reseach data on the required humidity level for Hermanns as this is something I have been looking for? High levels of humidity can be fatal for Hermanns which is partly why we are trying to get them out of tanks. Although a word like 'high' has no real meaning; what is the % humidity we should aim for and how do we achieve it?

Ozric - Jon Coote is talking about humidity in their "HIDE". My friends at the ZOO have finally included humid hides for their .. "flat-tails".. spiders and main-land Indian star hatchlings-yearlings.

Maybe here?.. http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/microclimates.htm

Terry

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Try sphagram moss under a plastic container large enough for them to enter and turn around. If the height of the hide is 1/2 again as the tort, that is great.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Or as suggested in another post you can glue a sponge to the top of the hide and then keep the sponge damp, thus raising the humidity inside the hide.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Terry, but my point is that different species of tortoise have very different humidity needs, and so far nobody is clear on the humidity needs for Hermanns.

I'm quite keen to prevent any carapace growth problems in my tortoises by providing the right level of humidity when they are indoors, but I do not know what this is.

How can I make a humid hide to offer them as an option to see if they use it?

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sorry I was too stupid to see those last suggestions as they were on another page. I will look into the sponge and moss ideas.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Take Robyn's suggestion for making a humid hide!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
And get the Mosser Lee [ 100% natural.. NO additves ] moss!
Pull it apart until it is real "fluffy".. and lightly mist with hot water. It would be good if this "humid-hide" was located in the warm end of the enclose so it will stay warm [ but not wet ] in the hide itself. "We" have found it in the Garden dept at Lowe's.

http://www.mosserlee.com/products/lfsm.html

Keep in mind - this is not "rocket surgery or brain science" - so keep from making this more difficult than it is.. in other words.. keep it warm and dry in the main enclosure and warm and humid in the "hide"! Your tort will figure it out for themself.

Hope all of this helps...

Terry

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I just had a thought (a rare occasion on my part) any of our members living in southern Cal (a Mediterean climate) would take a humistat reading of humidity in the open and then take same in sheltered area (i.e. under rocks or such shelter), you would get get an idea of what the humidity should be for a med tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.