Paint or wood sealant--health hazards?

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
Greetings, all!

My husband wants to know if we should paint the exterior of Cholla's night box, either that or seal it with Thompson's wood sealant in order to preserve the plywood exterior. Is either of those options advisable?

In the meantime, Mm son-in-law is still wanting to put the insulation on the exterior of the plywood walls and painting it.

This still doesn't make sense to me. I worry Cholla could claw or chew it and be hurt by ingesting bits of the paint or insulation. Are my concerns justified?

As ever and always, thanks in advance for your counsel.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Greetings, all!

My husband wants to know if we should paint the exterior of Cholla's night box, either that or seal it with Thompson's wood sealant in order to preserve the plywood exterior. Is either of those options advisable?

In the meantime, Mm son-in-law is still wanting to put the insulation on the exterior of the plywood walls and painting it.

This still doesn't make sense to me. I worry Cholla could claw or chew it and be hurt by ingesting bits of the paint or insulation. Are my concerns justified?

I used a tintable stain / sealer on the exterior of mine that's worked out really well. It soaks into the wood like any stain, but looks like paint. I used R13 insulation within the walls of mine so that my sully wouldn't rub against it or possibly chomp on it. If your SiL is wanting to put insulation on the exterior of the walls and then paint over it, I don't see that working very well or for very long, personally. This is a pic of mine just prior to putting the insulation in the wall:20190504_085957.jpg

This is a pic of the exterior to show you how I tinted it:
20190815_180731.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Speaking from my experience as a carpenter who did a lot of painting and staining, the exterior finish that you use depends very much on your local environment in terms of how effective it is going to be protecting the exterior wood. In most areas water sealers, transparent stains, semi-transparent & semi-solid stains last about 4-5 years before having to be recoated. Solid stains about every 5-7 years. Solid exterior paints, depending upon quality and application usually last much, much longer between coats.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Speaking from my experience as a carpenter who did a lot of painting and staining, the exterior finish that you use depends very much on your local environment in terms of how effective it is going to be protecting the exterior wood. In most areas water sealers, transparent stains, semi-transparent & semi-solid stains last about 4-5 years before having to be recoated. Solid stains about every 5-7 years. Solid exterior paints, depending upon quality and application usually last much, much longer between coats.

Yep. ✅ All good info.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, all!

Ok, I’m not understanding the putting the insulation on the outside idea. Have your SIL look at your house & see where the insulation is located. Insulation goes on the inside. Also, did you guys build a double walled nightbox like Tom shows? The insulation is sandwiched in between the interior and exterior walls.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Ok, I’m not understanding the putting the insulation on the outside idea. Have your SIL look at your house & see where the insulation is located. Insulation goes on the inside. Also, did you guys build a double walled nightbox like Tom shows? The insulation is sandwiched in between the interior and exterior walls.
Hi, Maro2Bear. I don't get it either. Box hasn't been constructed yet; in a few minutes 'll be going over to SIL's to talk about it.
Thank you as always for your time and valuable responses.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
I used a tintable stain / sealer on the exterior of mine that's worked out really well. It soaks into the wood like any stain, but looks like paint. I used R13 insulation within the walls of mine so that my sully wouldn't rub against it or possibly chomp on it. If your SiL is wanting to put insulation on the exterior of the walls and then paint over it, I don't see that working very well or for very long, personally. This is a pic of mine just prior to putting the insulation in the wall:View attachment 312460

This is a pic of the exterior to show you how I tinted it:
View attachment 312461
A sturdy, handsome box!. Love the "barn door." Thank you for both photos; they're very helpful.