Panacure on Star takes how long to treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Did the third feces test yesterday after treating my Star with Panacure. It still has 1-2 worms. Does it take this long to treat? Each treatments had an interval of two weeks consisting of two doses. At first a lot of worms, second treatment 3-4 worms and yesterdays results showed 1-2 worms. Sure it is better but should I switch to another medicine or stick with Panacure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Usually what you see under the microscope is worm eggs, not the worms themselves.

Ask your vet. Maybe the dosage wasn't high enough. It would probably be ok to dose him again in another 10 days from the last dose.

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Usually what you see under the microscope is worm eggs, not the worms themselves.

Ask your vet. Maybe the dosage wasn't high enough. It would probably be ok to dose him again in another 10 days from the last dose.

It has been about 2 weeks from his last dose so I will dose him again on Monday. I emailed Marcus Langford and he said to give it a month than dose again.

samstar

5 Year Member
I was just afraid that the worms might be getting imuned to the Panacure

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast
Don't get too carried away. You have knocked the parasite burden down to a non substantial level and if you continue to provide a clean, sanitary environment then the numbers will stay low.
In my opinion, too many people are concerned with the presence of a low parasitic load. As long as the animal is healthy, feeding well and gaining weight it is typically of little consequence.
The exception to the above would be the presence of Hexamita. Deal with it quickly and thoroughly.

samstar

5 Year Member
Good news is that the vet only found one worm egg compared to before which had tons. This should be it's last dosage, hope all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.