pancake eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
hi tortoise lovers, just join today and am a computer dummy,just learning. i have 2 pancake torts. had them for over a year. long story short,my female laid an egg on the (jan.23rd) & 2 weeks later(feb.5th)another. the 2nd. egg was broken. will she have a egg every 2 weeks for awhile. i heard they have a total of 4 ? got a zoo med. incubator. thats it for now. thanks

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
hi and welcome.. cant help you there but im sure someone else can

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome momo. I'm not familiar with pancake torts...is it normal for them to have one egg and then another egg two weeks later. I have African torts and they have a clutch of eggs and then lay another about 4-6 weeks laters, so I was just curious. It's so exciting isn't it?

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
TortieLuver said:
Welcome momo. I'm not familiar with pancake torts...is it normal for them to have one egg and then another egg two weeks later. I have African torts and they have a clutch of eggs and then lay another about 4-6 weeks laters, so I was just curious. It's so exciting isn't it?

dont know if its normal to have 2 eggs 2 weeks apart. this is first time i belive for my female, my male is older guy! first time for me too!:)

help my pancake had an egg ,2 week later another one! can i expect one every two weeks? my vet is amazed ,a year ago torts in his office & they couldnt keep their paws off each other! hes not amazed they had eggs hes a mazedat how happy they are! he does not have alot of pancake torts. as customers though.please get back to me ( momo) . thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is from an article written by David Kirkpatrick:

Although most females only lay one egg at a time, each Pancake can produce multiple clutches with a six to eight week gap between layings. The egg is approximately two inches long and one inch wide - surprisingly big relative to the size of the tortoise! Eggs are usually laid in sandy soil, although some tortoises will deposit eggs in out-of-the-way places in the cage if they find the nesting area unsuitable. Females that are producing eggs should have calcium and vitamin supplements added to their diet to allow for proper egg and embryo development and to prevent vitamin and calcium deficiencies in the adult.

Hi Momo:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
emysemys said:

Although most females only lay one egg at a time, each Pancake can produce multiple clutches with a six to eight week gap between layings. The egg is approximately two inches long and one inch wide - surprisingly big relative to the size of the tortoise! Eggs are usually laid in sandy soil, although some tortoises will deposit eggs in out-of-the-way places in the cage if they find the nesting area unsuitable. Females that are producing eggs should have calcium and vitamin supplements added to their diet to allow for proper egg and embryo development and to prevent vitamin and calcium deficiencies in the adult.

Hi Momo:

my name is lindy ,i am from connecticut.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
my name is lindy , from connecticut. have a bulldog, cat, & 2 pancake tortises at the time. oh yeah a husband too! i dont know anyone who keeps pancakes.have had great luck keeping them happy,thou they like being outside in summer!had torts over a year.they werent so healthy when i got them , but that was a long time ago!they are strange little rigs. female follows me around, the male follows her! read everything on internet about pancakes, still alot unkown. hit or miss i guess. well let you know if i get another egg in 2 weeks> lindy

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
emysemys said:

Hi Momo:

name is lindy from connecticut. hi!

tortoises101 said:
Hey Lindy.

Like what Yvonne (emysemys) said, the number of eggs a female pancake tort lays is a bit unpredictable.

Here's an article on pancake tortoises if you're interested; http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/pancake.htm

thank you. i reilly would like to meet some one else that keeps them. well see thank you again, lindy from ct.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
TortieLuver said:

hi there, thats some tortoise you have there! wow' pancake torts. mst of the time have and egg every 6 weeks or so, till there is 3-5? not to sure. first time for me. i thoug zoey was gona have an egg todat, only a week later, who knows.. wanted you to kinow i did like your torts pic. lindy from ct.(momo)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Torty Mom said:
:D Welcome to TFO :D and congratulations on the eggs!! :D
hi there & thank you. name is lindy from ct. only have one egg, other broken before i could get to it . oh well, didnt think this was gona happen anyway, its like x-mas! thanks again lindy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.