Pangshura species

michiganice91

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone on the boards has much experience with this species? Particularly with regards to P. tecta. I really love how beautiful they are and would love to acquire some one day. I've been doing a little research and found this turtle to be listed under CITES appendix 1. Does anyone know why it's so heavily restricted given that it's not even listed as a threatened species? Does the Indian government have something to do with this? Thanks for any help.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
CITES just restricts them coming in to the country. People in the US have them, but the big problem for anyone trying to acquire them is that they are listed under the federal Endangered Species Act, which forbids trade across state lines. What's worse is the fact that permits are never issued for species who aren't already being bred by permit holders.

The only way it would ever worked, is if someone who already has them, proves they were aquired legally, Bo of which won't happen. Then, in theory, they could get their permit and others could get their permits and buy from them. I don't know if all of that will happen.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
CITES just restricts them coming in to the country. People in the US have them, but the big problem for anyone trying to acquire them is that they are listed under the federal Endangered Species Act, which forbids trade across state lines. What's worse is the fact that permits are never issued for species who aren't already being bred by permit holders.

The only way it would ever worked, is if someone who already has them, proves they were aquired legally, Bo of which won't happen. Then, in theory, they could get their permit and others could get their permits and buy from them. I don't know if all of that will happen.

Very interesting. The listing status of "endangered" by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife department is from a 1976 assessment. This seems to be counter to the current listing of "least concern" by the IUCN which was published in the year 2000. Did this species suffer from the pet trade in the past but make a comeback after trade restrictions? What other logical explanation is there for the conflicting information? This is a very interesting case in my opinion.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423416041.742467.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423416079.444481.jpg
These are my p.tecta.
They are gorgeous but unfortunately a very shy species if you compare it with RES.

They do well in my outdoor pond.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Very interesting. The listing status of "endangered" by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife department is from a 1976 assessment. This seems to be counter to the current listing of "least concern" by the IUCN which was published in the year 2000. Did this species suffer from the pet trade in the past but make a comeback after trade restrictions? What other logical explanation is there for the conflicting information? This is a very interesting case in my opinion.
I'm not sure why. All of the exotics have no place on the ESA, in my opinion. Take the Indian Spotted Pond Turtle, for example. They too have no business being on that list. It's comical.