Panicked owner (So afraid of doing something wrong)

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Hi,

I'm terrified that I'm doing something wrong for my young Hermann's hatchling. I'm changing the topsoil into Coco Coir. I've ordered a second thermometer and the temperature is around 28 in the middle of the tank, neither the hottest or the coldest part of the tank. The humidity is a little low, despite my spraying it every few hours. We're going to make him a plexiglass lid.
He's on a diet of weeds from the garden (mostly dandelions) so we're growing our own, and he's bathed every day.

I'm just terrified that I'm doing something wrong, please help me!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
sounds like your doing fine, I would suggest pouring water directly into coir and mixing it all up every now and then, i do it while ours is in the tub so as not to cause stress... or him getting in the way!

the plexi top, you will notice a huge difference once its on, makes things sooo much easier to maintain.. just remember cut out for bulbs.

pics! lots and lots of pics, we all love em :) , will help the experts advise any little tweaks needed.

keep on tortin' :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
thats what we use as well, arcidia seem to have a good reputation.

whispers... I've heard that the company is really good with replacement bulbs. sooo, when its time to change it, pop the filament in old bulb and ship back in the new box as 'faulty' they should send a replacement;)

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Is 100 watts okay?

I'll post some pics, he has a little 'bump' on his plastron that I'm a little concerned about. I've heard most Hermann's have 13 scutes, however, Herbert has 12. Is this normal?

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

thats what we use as well, arcidia seem to have a good reputation.

whispers... I've heard that the company is really good with replacement bulbs. sooo, when its time to change it, pop the filament in old bulb and ship back in the new box as 'faulty' they should send a replacement;)

Haha!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Is 100 watts okay?

I'll post some pics, he has a little 'bump' on his plastron that I'm a little concerned about. I've heard most Hermann's have 13 scutes, however, Herbert has 12. Is this normal?

The wattage you want all depends on your enclosure size and construction. It's likely fine, but you'll need to monitor your temperatures carefully when you switch to a new bulb, and adjust its height as needed.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
our first bulb was 100w, it was fine. due to lack of lack of stock and urgent need we had to replace with an 80w (bulb went on a holiday weekend) but it's been fine as well, but as mentioned just keep an eye on the temp. .. it's easily adjusted but lowering and raising bulb :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sounds like you're doing pretty well to me.
Don't forget to measure your four temps; basking spot, warm side, cool side and night time and at substrate level.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you post a pic of your enclosure then we will be able to tell you if you should make any changes or if everything is OK.

I use Arcadia they have been fine, but they are very delicate if knocked when hot, and can break easily, so be very careful with it.
You will also find that when you turn it off it will not come back on straight away - it has a sort of recovery time - so don't panic and think its broken just give it about 10 mins.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
2 things concern me...

Why did you switch from top soil to coco coir and not mix them together? Using straight coco coir has been known to cause impaction in the nasal cavity when used by itself since it is not nearly as natural to them as what they are found on in nature.

Also, the Lid you plan to make..you are not going to keep them on all day are you? The closed chamber method does not usually work well for Hermann's tortoises except for at night. If you read my care sheet pinned at the top of this forum I explain how we establish proper humidity by mimicking what baby Hermann's experience in nature. We do this by putting a lid on the containers they are kept in at night only.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

2 things concern me...

Why did you switch from top soil to coco coir and not mix them together? Using straight coco coir has been known to cause impaction in the nasal cavity when used by itself since it is not nearly as natural to them as what they are found on in nature.

Also, the Lid you plan to make..you are not going to keep them on all day are you? The closed chamber method does not usually work well for Hermann's tortoises except for at night. If you read my care sheet pinned at the top of this forum I explain how we establish proper humidity by mimicking what baby Hermann's experience in nature. We do this by putting a lid on the containers they are kept in at night only.

I haven't changed the substrate yet. I'm doing a bit more research, so thanks for your message as that was not what I was planning on doing and I'm so glad I've been set straight!
I did read the care sheet, but I suppose a lot of it went over my head!

I wasn't planning on keeping the lid on full time. How long would you recommend?

And I'll get some pictures.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Sounds good!

We put the lids on only at night which allows the humidity level to soar overnight. Then they're removed in the morning when the lights are turned back on and the humidity then escapes. This replicates what they experience in nature very closely.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

The breeder said to feed him every day, as much as the length of his shell. It's a bit vague- could someone maybe be more specific?
I also use Nutrobal powder. How often should I be using it?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, so sorry about that but I just want to do everything as I should and give Herbert the best life possible.

One other thing: the title of this thread has changed. I didn't know you could even do that, so I'm assuming that a moderator changed it and I've not been hacked?!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
2 things concern me...

Wow, I didn't know that!
That has just save me a lot of trouble as I am started my hermanns new enclosure at the week end and I planned to make a close chamber.

My dad suggested that I make it a bit like a closed chamber but with an open front (high enough so he can't escape) that way it's easier to heat and at night we can have a glass panel that slots in the gap.

Do you think this is a good idea?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Deep, moist substrate is better for Hermann's in order for them to be subjected to a more natural way of experiencing appropriate humidity but maybe if you can explain your dad's idea a little more I can give you a better answer.