Parasites from Chicken Manure in Soil?

Happytort27

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I’m not sure where to put this thread...I’m just curious. I was wondering if chicken manure in soil could still transmit parasites to a tortoise?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The high nitrogen and phosphorus content are probably not good for your tort. They should have a more natural unfertilized enclosure. Just google how caustic chicken manure is

Happytort27

CA
The high nitrogen and phosphorus content are probably not good for your tort. They should have a more natural unfertilized enclosure. Just google how caustic chicken manure is
Thanks. I definitely don't use it in his enclosure, but a similar thread sparked this question.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The short and technically accurate answer is: It depends.
(Which really doesn't help much, does it?)

To be on the safe side, best guidance is not to use chicken manure where your tortoise will be. There might be ways of mitigating the risks, but it probably isn't worth it.

Now, if we were talking about a potential location for a future outdoor tortoise enclosure, where the chicken manure had been applied a year earlier and exposed to the elements... That's where the It depends part comes in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you mean that the chickens are loose in the tortoise yard, pooping where he's grazing, then yes, chicken manure is not good for your tortoise!