PARASOLA PLICATILIS SAFE?

yaycolin

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
I believe I have found some parasola plicatilis mushrooms in some of my indoor grass/weeds. I can't find much information on them and if they are toxic or not. Does anyone have any experience with these? I am going to assume they are toxic and I should throw away any plants that are growing in the same soil?

grass.jpggrass (2).jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I wouldn’t throw away the other plants. It’s pretty common for mushroom spores to be in a bag of planting mix or top soil; you may see them sprouting for a while. They don’t have a root system to speak of; they aren’t creeping into the roots of your other plants.

I would get rid of any mushroom I found; not worth it.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
I wouldn’t throw away the other plants. It’s pretty common for mushroom spores to be in a bag of planting mix or top soil; you may see them sprouting for a while. They don’t have a root system to speak of; they aren’t creeping into the roots of your other plants.

I would get rid of any mushroom I found; not worth it.
Thank you for the advice! Would you suggest just letting the plants grow until no more mushrooms appear, and then feed the plants to my torts? Or would it be ok to feed the plants to my torts now, as long as I wash them first?

Jemma

Nevada, Iowa
I would discard the mushroom but not the plants. The mushroom is living off the decaying organic matter in the soil and will not harm the plants. Also, the mushrooms will only last a day or two as those tend to be very delicate. (Ps. I study mushrooms as a hobby and work with fungi off and on for my profession.)