Pardalis or babcocki and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I am thinking of getting a leopard tortoise. Before I take the plunge, I want to know that they will do well where I am. I am in south florida, the humidity is ususally pretty high. I plan on keeping the torts outside in the wonderful florida sunshine. Will the humidity pose a problem?

What is the difference between the babcocki and pardalis except for the cost? Why are the pardalis more expensive? Will one do better in Florida than the other? Does one get bigger than the other?

Last, what are the "snow" or "white" phase leopards?

Thanks.

Allegra

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The humidity is actually real good for tortoises in their hides. I ts helps with shell smoothing and is usually th emajor cause for pyramiding when theres not enough of it. Now ambient air humidity i cant answer. As far as paradilis and babcocki they are the two different species of leopard. The southern version (paradilis) is the larger one reaching sizes that of a sulcata (up 24 inches scl and up to 200 punds) . Babcocki more nothern is smaller in size reaching about 18 inches scl and up to 60 pounds as an adult. The "snow and "white phase are just ways of describing the color of the shell that is genetically more white on their shells compared to the rest. Now i believe they say the babcocki handles ambient humidity better than paradilis but who know if thats true. Thats about all the info i can give ya !

Status
Not open for further replies.