Passing of baby Leopard

Shrimpy

Hello all, bellow is my story
December 2014, Me and my girlfriend (who are living together) decided to adopt out first tortoise! After going to a reptile expo, we fell in love with the only leopard tortoise in the entire expo. Upon taking him home we started to notice small deficiencies in his shell and his lack of enthusiasm. His shell was almost like it was caving in, especially near his tail. Near his legs and tail his shell was chipped. Naturally, we thought this was due to a new location. We provide him with daily 90 degree baths (10-15 mins daily), this usually stimulated his ability to eat. Which of course he was only taking a few bites of his food and then walking away to hide in his hay or lay under his hollowed out log. After a month of reading and trying to provide a more suitable environment we ended up with :
our enclosure was open 3'x4'
1 100watt basking light for heat (Daytime) mid 80's, middle of spot light area 95
1 100watt infrared bulb for heat (Nighttime) lows 80's/high 70's
1 UV 10.0 bulb for UV B
Cyprus mulch for bedding
Timothy hay on one side. (Which he loved to sleep in)
A water bowl (fresh once a day, treated)
Food bowl (Started to fine chop greens: Kale, spring mix, carrots, spinach, chard)
A moisture cave. (a water jug, that we soaked the mulch every two days)
A hollowed log for climbing and hiding.
During January we noticed he was scratching his eyes often and still not eating enough compared to other peoples baby leopards. We decided to take him to the local reptile expert vet. She said that our Leo (His/her name) was looking small and with a vitamin A shot it should boost his appetite and to monitor his weight. (he was 26 grams, at 4 months) Also, we received eye drops for his constant scratching of his face. I was almost in tears when we took Leo home and he would not move his leg due to the shot.
A few days after the trip to the vet, we noticed that he was more active, he was eating not only once a day but he would do loops: taking a few bites of food (which now was always powered with calcium), walking through his water bowl, and climbing his log/falling off his log. We started talking him out of his enclosure for exercise, somewhat of him exploring a larger distance for 10 minutes a day. Things were looking up.
About a week ago I started to notice that Leo was a little wet on the nose, which I assumed was wet due to his morning bath. Near his eye lids were lighter as if his skin was peeling around the eye. Also, he had a slight smell, something i though was just normal and I only noticed it because I was lying on the floor and he crawled right to my nose. No thoughts were given to his health; he was still eating and crawling around.
About two days ago (22Feb) I noticed he did eat much during the day. I had the day off so I would watch him for half hours through the day. I did notice that he didn't move much and he would go to the corner of his box and hide under the hay. I checked that specific area of heat (with infrared thermometer around 77 degrees) I assumed he was just sleepy. The next day my girlfriend said he did eat today after work, so as soon as I came home I found him inside his shell, very abnormal for Leo. That’s when I knew I lost Leo. I'm still in tears about his loss. My girlfriend who is a teacher, cried at work due to the fact her entire class room is turtle themed.
Things i may have left out of the story, I noticed his mouth was always green and white due to eating his food. Also, he would make bubbles with his face in the water. Leo's stool was no longer solid, gooier tar like.
My method to judge his room temperature air was taking the ground temperature with an infrared thermometer

Within time, and re convincing my girlfriend I want another Leopard, This time with a closed enclosure during his infant years. Also, I'm looking to hear any comments about things that might help me and my girlfriend this second time around. Also, different possible reasons for his passing. Thank you for reading this long post.
-Tony

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry to hear about your loss. Read the care guides here In the leopard section.There are somethings you will want to do different, but the 1st and really important, if not the most important, will be to get one from a breeder that starts them right. Dry started babies have a tough ttime of it and often don't make it. Welcome to the forum. There are some very knowledgeable experienced leopard keepers here.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
So sorry about your little tort. It does sound like he had a rough beginning before you got him. I am sure he appreciated the love and care you and your girlfriend gave him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just thus side of heaven is a place called rainbow bridge.
When a tortoise dies who was loved by someone., that tortoise goes to rainbow bridge.
There are wide open plains and warm basking spots.forall our beloved tortoises to spend all day basking in the warm sun.. There is plenty ofgrasses, and flowers. Lots of warm water to soak in. Our friends are all warm and comfortable, and play together all day long

All the tortoises who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remembered them in our dreams of days and time gone by The tortoises are happy and content, except for one small thing. They each miss someone very special who had to be left behind.

They all bask, and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are eager and intent, his shell starts to wiggle. Suddenly he begins to run from the group his stubbby legs carrying him over the plains, faster then they ever could in life.

You have been spotted, and when you and your tortoise meet, you cling togetherin joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy head rubs commence, your hands once again caress your tortoise"s head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your beloved tortoise, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author known.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Sorry it's under these very sad conditions. There were a few things wrong with the set up you had for your leopard. If you decide to try again, please read and re read the threads below in my post. The Sulcata threads will also apply to a leopard. I don't think anything would have helped your little one, sounds like he had it ruff from the start. However, they do need a little different care then what you were doing.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my first tortoise a few weeks ago after having him a year. I have learned so much from this forum, thought I was doing everything right. It's so hard. At first I thought I could never have a tortoise again because I felt so guilty. But now have decided I enjoyed the care and keeping so much, I can do it. Soon I will be getting a Dalmatian Hermann's Tortoise.
Good luck, it sounds like you loved your little guy very much. I hope you decide to try again. I am a teacher too, my classroom is covered in tortoise things as well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It doesn't sound like something you did. More than likely a failure to thrive. Once some get started out dry, they never recover.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I agree with the others...You got a "ticking time bomb baby". Sadly, if they aren't started correctly, they can suffer too much internal damage to recover, no matter what the new care taker does.

Make sure you get your next leopard from the right source and it will be a very different experience.

Sorry you had to go through this.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm very sorry for your lost. May this forum help you on your restart.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I'm so sorry you had to go through that, and I'm sorry for your loss.

One thing I would like to suggest for your next tortoise is to check out your veterinarian. From what I've read on this forum, it appears vitamin A shots are unhelpful and sometimes dangerous, and often indicate your vet knows little to nothing about reptiles and tortoises. Just be careful and I wish you luck for your next tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and a sad "Welcome to the forum!" Please read the leopard tortoise care sheets pinned at the top of the Leopard section here on the Forum before you buy your next leopard baby, and consider buying from one of our members who raise them. You can find our breeder's list near the Breeder section, on the Forum.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi and welcome. I am so sorry for the loss of your baby. I hope you get another one.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello all, bellow is my story
December 2014, Me and my girlfriend (who are living together) decided to adopt out first tortoise! After going to a reptile expo, we fell in love with the only leopard tortoise in the entire expo. Upon taking him home we started to notice small deficiencies in his shell and his lack of enthusiasm. His shell was almost like it was caving in, especially near his tail. Near his legs and tail his shell was chipped. Naturally, we thought this was due to a new location. We provide him with daily 90 degree baths (10-15 mins daily), this usually stimulated his ability to eat. Which of course he was only taking a few bites of his food and then walking away to hide in his hay or lay under his hollowed out log. After a month of reading and trying to provide a more suitable environment we ended up with :
our enclosure was open 3'x4'
1 100watt basking light for heat (Daytime) mid 80's, middle of spot light area 95
1 100watt infrared bulb for heat (Nighttime) lows 80's/high 70's
1 UV 10.0 bulb for UV B
Cyprus mulch for bedding
Timothy hay on one side. (Which he loved to sleep in)
A water bowl (fresh once a day, treated)
Food bowl (Started to fine chop greens: Kale, spring mix, carrots, spinach, chard)
A moisture cave. (a water jug, that we soaked the mulch every two days)
A hollowed log for climbing and hiding.
During January we noticed he was scratching his eyes often and still not eating enough compared to other peoples baby leopards. We decided to take him to the local reptile expert vet. She said that our Leo (His/her name) was looking small and with a vitamin A shot it should boost his appetite and to monitor his weight. (he was 26 grams, at 4 months) Also, we received eye drops for his constant scratching of his face. I was almost in tears when we took Leo home and he would not move his leg due to the shot.
A few days after the trip to the vet, we noticed that he was more active, he was eating not only once a day but he would do loops: taking a few bites of food (which now was always powered with calcium), walking through his water bowl, and climbing his log/falling off his log. We started talking him out of his enclosure for exercise, somewhat of him exploring a larger distance for 10 minutes a day. Things were looking up.
About a week ago I started to notice that Leo was a little wet on the nose, which I assumed was wet due to his morning bath. Near his eye lids were lighter as if his skin was peeling around the eye. Also, he had a slight smell, something i though was just normal and I only noticed it because I was lying on the floor and he crawled right to my nose. No thoughts were given to his health; he was still eating and crawling around.
About two days ago (22Feb) I noticed he did eat much during the day. I had the day off so I would watch him for half hours through the day. I did notice that he didn't move much and he would go to the corner of his box and hide under the hay. I checked that specific area of heat (with infrared thermometer around 77 degrees) I assumed he was just sleepy. The next day my girlfriend said he did eat today after work, so as soon as I came home I found him inside his shell, very abnormal for Leo. That’s when I knew I lost Leo. I'm still in tears about his loss. My girlfriend who is a teacher, cried at work due to the fact her entire class room is turtle themed.
Things i may have left out of the story, I noticed his mouth was always green and white due to eating his food. Also, he would make bubbles with his face in the water. Leo's stool was no longer solid, gooier tar like.
My method to judge his room temperature air was taking the ground temperature with an infrared thermometer

Within time, and re convincing my girlfriend I want another Leopard, This time with a closed enclosure during his infant years. Also, I'm looking to hear any comments about things that might help me and my girlfriend this second time around. Also, different possible reasons for his passing. Thank you for reading this long post.
-Tony

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TortoisesForSale

You will want to avoid the "new" closed wet chamber way as a cure all....this link will offer you a source that offers a good choice and some diversity in the presentation of a hatchling...and the housing and care of them....

I am very sorry for your loss and Rest In Peace little :tort:

Rafael Moreno

Just thus side of heaven is a place called rainbow bridge.
When a tortoise dies who was loved by someone., that tortoise goes to rainbow bridge.
There are wide open plains and warm basking spots.forall our beloved tortoises to spend all day basking in the warm sun.. There is plenty ofgrasses, and flowers. Lots of warm water to soak in. Our friends are all warm and comfortable, and play together all day long

All the tortoises who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remembered them in our dreams of days and time gone by The tortoises are happy and content, except for one small thing. They each miss someone very special who had to be left behind.

They all bask, and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are eager and intent, his shell starts to wiggle. Suddenly he begins to run from the group his stubbby legs carrying him over the plains, faster then they ever could in life.

You have been spotted, and when you and your tortoise meet, you cling togetherin joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy head rubs commence, your hands once again caress your tortoise"s head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your beloved tortoise, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author known.
Sounds like an amazing place also this sounds very familiar to this
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Last edited:

ben awes

5 Year Member
So sorry man, sounds like you did everything you could. You got a sick baby to start with. Once they get sick, at that age, it's difficult to bring them back to health. If you had been given a healthy baby to start they would have thrived under your care.

I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with those that are saying that starting a baby dry results in an unhealthy tort, or that "most don't make it". From my experience that's simply not true. I bred and raised leopards for 12 years and never had a single baby die - all started dry.

I did have a two year old die hours after it was received by the new owners after a plane flight. Vet thinks it might have had to do with cabin pressure changes, no sign of illness.

The right temps, enough room, the right lighting, and the right diet = healthy babies. Humidity is good, and contributes to smooth shell growth, but lack of it does not result in sick babies.

From my reading, their natural habitat is a semi-arid grassland - not overly humid.

I fond that with the right environment, which is particular but not difficult at all to achieve, they are hardy and easy to care for - and awesome. Those that recommended finding a good breeder are spot on. I hate to say it because many people are honest and reputable at those shows, but I would never but from a show or a pet store. Just have heard too many bad stories. There are plenty of breeders that specialize in just leopards.

Good luck!

Ben