passing urates on 3rd week of winddown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I have been winding Shelby down for his first Brumate he as gone over a week since his last poo in his bath and he went 6 days without passing urates but passed some more when soaking him today there was a large amount but they were smooth, I do not think he as done any in his table or hide he only seems to do this in his bath since i started wind down he tends to spend most off his time in his hide even when awake, he does come out and sit under the lamp and sleep and still gives me a look as if to say feed me. I have started reducing the light it started off a12hrs first week went to 8 last week and i am taking him down to 4 over this week he is on 5 at moment. I posted on my thread about his first brumate earlier and have been look on net to see if its ok for him to still be pass urates but can not find a answer, I thought urates were made by digesting food and he as not had food for 3 weeks he as gone over a week without pooing so does the urates mean he still as food in his system?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I thought urates were made by digesting food and he as not had food for 3 weeks he as gone over a week without pooing so does the urates mean he still as food in his system?

Tortoises are 'programmed' not to use water in the bladder to eliminate these (urates) unless replenishment is available. Depriving the tortoise of water will result in urates being accumulated - often to dangerous levels.[/i]

I would suggest offering up daily warm water soaks at 30 minutes per warm water soak...

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Tracy Gould said:
I have been winding Shelby down for his first Brumate he as gone over a week since his last poo in his bath and he went 6 days without passing urates but passed some more when soaking him today there was a large amount but they were smooth, I do not think he as done any in his table or hide he only seems to do this in his bath since i started wind down he tends to spend most off his time in his hide even when awake, he does come out and sit under the lamp and sleep and still gives me a look as if to say feed me. I have started reducing the light it started off a12hrs first week went to 8 last week and i am taking him down to 4 over this week he is on 5 at moment. I posted on my thread about his first brumate earlier and have been look on net to see if its ok for him to still be pass urates but can not find a answer, I thought urates were made by digesting food and he as not had food for 3 weeks he as gone over a week without pooing so does the urates mean he still as food in his system?

It sounds like you are trying to do this indoors...is that correct? If so, your temps will be too high and he won't get into a proper brumate and burn through his reserves very quickly. What kind of tort is this?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
ascott said:
I thought urates were made by digesting food and he as not had food for 3 weeks he as gone over a week without pooing so does the urates mean he still as food in his system?

Tortoises are 'programmed' not to use water in the bladder to eliminate these (urates) unless replenishment is available. Depriving the tortoise of water will result in urates being accumulated - often to dangerous levels.[/i]

I would suggest offering up daily warm water soaks at 30 minutes per warm water soak...

I have soaking him every day he as been drinking every time i done this. He as not passed them in over a week then he did it again yesterday I tend to leave him about 20 mins each time I up it to 30

lvstorts said:
Tracy Gould said:

It sounds like you are trying to do this indoors...is that correct? If so, your temps will be too high and he won't get into a proper brumate and burn through his reserves very quickly. What kind of tort is this?

Yer he is kept in doors but I have a Mini fridge I intend to use, after I cooled him down I am putitng him in the shed outside before this to cool him before he goes in. He is a Hermanns

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have soaking him every day he as been drinking every time i done this. He as not passed them in over a week then he did it again yesterday I tend to leave him about 20 mins each time I up it to 30

Oh good...then just keep up your soaking schedule...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.