Past History of my Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
When my husband and I got Fred our Sulcata, which is about a year ago, we found a hole drilled into the back of his shell, just above his tail. Someone had tied him to a three foot rope and staked him in the ground out in the backyard. He could only walk three feet in each direction and then would get yanked back.

Anyway, one day he broke the rope from pulling so hard and the hole in his shell broke, too. That's how we ended up with him.

We are so glad we have him. He brings us such joy.

I swear he smiles at us. Especially after eating or pooping. LOL

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
How luckly for Fred to have found you. And, how amazing that the "strength" to survive prevails.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
How big is Fred? Could you possibly post some pictures, because that's the technique that was used to capture sulcatas in the wild...if it was done by an owner here, that's just wrong! I'm glad he has you 2 to ensure his quality of life...and I'd really like to see pics of him :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh my God, that is so upsetting to think of that poor creature unable to move around and with a rope tied onto his shell.

My guilt over ignoring Taco's substandard enclosures for three years (keeping her in a 10-gallon tank or a 6'x6' sandbox with only a board over the corner as a "hide") is assuaged bit by bit every day as I watch her happily swimming through the grass of our large back yard, leaving a trail of bulldozed blades in her wake...or pacing purposefully along the perimeter fence to check for possible escape hatches...wiggling out of her belt in the pachysandra, then standing calmly on the slab by the shed watching me as I hunt frantically for her 25 feet across the yard...checking on her and finding no tortoise, but just her happy butt and belt protruding from a dug-into mound of mulch under the hedge bushes. :rolleyes:

Yes, if one cannot change the past, it is mollifying to bask in the present. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mollifying. I love that word.

This was/is also a common practice for CDTs. I bet where ever he came there is or was a CDT tied up like that too. So sad. I'd like to take those people to the spot where they stuck their tortoise and drive a long stake through their foot and walk away. Once a day I'd toss some lettuce on the ground and splash some water into a pan for them.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Aww thats so sad, :( i hope that owner gets stabbed one day and then knows how it feels to be drilled! Can we see some pics of Frank?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Some awful person did that to my brothers little box turtle. He had also been chewed on. Poor baby is now spoiled and loved and has lived a good life for about eight years. Oh they also painted his name on him. I am glad that they both have good homes now, but it makes me sad to think of the turtles and tortoises still being mistreated. Is there any laws against this bad treatment. I told the school librarian that she should not have returned a box turtle that was given to her that she couldn't keep to the past owners because they gave it awful care. She said that would not be politically correct. I felt like crying. I would also like to see a pic of Frank.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oh the poor thing :( I've never heard of anything like that before. That's horrible.
Thank goodness he is with you now! You should definitely post pictures!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am so happy you have him now, you are a blessing.

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody. We feel so lucky to have Fred. How do you post a photo? I have a good one I'd like to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.