PASTURE SEED MIX? OR NATIVE GRASS SEED MIX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaloman

5 Year Member
Hello

I would like to know your opinion of wich seed mix should i plant in the habitat for my sulcata hatchling , the pasture mix that has dandelion, rapina, clovers, chicory, radish green , some grass ? Or should i plant only a arizona native grass seed mix? I read that grass is the most important in the diet becaise of the fiber content, and native grass as high fiber...at least thats what i found out,
Also.. Is it wise to have a pasture area in the habitat so the hatchling can eat by itself? or is it better to provide food ? So i can control the fast growth.

Please help !!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
What ever you plant inside the enclosure may not last long due to being smashed or eaten.
If its possible you can do a couple trays or small pots of the pasture mix and the native grass that would be better then when your ready to feed it, you can just place one of the trays in the enclosure. Then you can just rotate the trays as needed and just replant the trays that get eaten...

EKLC

5 Year Member
hatchlings aren't as big on the grass so its important to have broadleaf weeds for them. as he gets bigger he'll eat more an more grass. Don't worry about your tort pigging on healthy forage.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think you should do two different areas with each. In my very limited experience the native mixes grow much slower than ones designed for horse pastures.

I let mine graze at will whenever the weather is nice, and when they must stay inside I just bring the weeds and grass to them.

I don't think the growth rate needs to be controlled as long as conditions are right.

chaloman

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I think you should do two different areas with each. In my very limited experience the native mixes grow much slower than ones designed for horse pastures.

I let mine graze at will whenever the weather is nice, and when they must stay inside I just bring the weeds and grass to them.

I don't think the growth rate needs to be controlled as long as conditions are right.

Thank you for you coments, now that you mention right conditions i have been reading your coments about humidity , i live in sonora , mexico, its extremly dry , no humidity at all, and i already have the outdoor habitat , my idea is to put a mix of coco nut fiber and topsoil, ( sulcata station recomends ) this probably will hold more humidity, but can it get waay to humid ? In case these does not work, i am planing on ordering the exo terra moonson system for extra humidity, could this be too much? I really want my sulcata hatchling to be in an outside habitat, i read that is better, but humidity is my bigest worry.

If you do not understand my writing please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.