Patches has woken up! Wahoo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Well everyone, if you read my last thread at all, my tort has been moving around a bit for the last week or so, but I didn't feel he was ready to wake yet, so I left him longer to stay. Since last year he woke up On April 9th, I figured he may sleep a bit longer than this, but we are also having much warmer weather this earlier in the year compared to last year. So keeping all this in mind, I have just been keeping a very close eye on him, and today while I was at school my boyfriend texted me and said that he moved Patches outside to his outdoor enclosure. He had went in and took a peek on him for me, and I guess Patch wasn't walking around at the moment, but his head was completely out of his shell and he could just tell that he had been moving around again. So my honey moved him out for me, and fed him some greens and veggies, and by the time I got home from school Patch was burrowed under a bunch of leaves. He looked very cozy and happy :tort: :rolleyes:

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Glad he came up healthy for you, its warming up. I see your from Visalia, I have a friend there I wonder if you know him

theelectraco

5 Year Member
My friends California desert tort just finally came out of hibernation the last few days also.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
bigred said:
Glad he came up healthy for you, its warming up. I see your from Visalia, I have a friend there I wonder if you know him

My boyfriend might, he's lived here forever! I have only lived here a couple years though. :)

theelectraco said:
My friends California desert tort just finally came out of hibernation the last few days also.

That's great! Mine still acts a bit sleepy, I figure as the days get longer and warmer he will speed up. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Soak him and let him have lots of sun light....glad to hear a sleepy head has yawned and got his butt moving....:p

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
ascott said:
Soak him and let him have lots of sun light....glad to hear a sleepy head has yawned and got his butt moving....:p

Thanks Angela, I sure will!! :) have soaked him several times since he's woken up. What would you say is the ideal amount? Is it ever too often to soak? And as the weather gets warmer should I use cooler water? I have used warm water in the fall and winter months and now I am using more of a lukewarm.... I just feel awkward. I can tell he does not enjoy it. He never goes in his water freely, so I know that I am going to have to continue to force soak him like I did last summer. Thanks!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is it ever too often to soak?

Nope...:D

And as the weather gets warmer should I use cooler water?

If you are soaking indoors then I would do as you normally do....if you want to offer up a cooler soak---then perhaps on the times he is outdoors soaking up the sun and heat then maybe turn on a gentle sprinkler (on appropriate for his size/yard) and let him become use to that---they like to muck about in the sprinkler (bringing the rain) and like to dig a little pallet in the wed earth to form a pool of water and drink from it....good stuff....:D

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
ascott said:
Is it ever too often to soak?

Nope...:D

And as the weather gets warmer should I use cooler water?

If you are soaking indoors then I would do as you normally do....if you want to offer up a cooler soak---then perhaps on the times he is outdoors soaking up the sun and heat then maybe turn on a gentle sprinkler (on appropriate for his size/yard) and let him become use to that---they like to muck about in the sprinkler (bringing the rain) and like to dig a little pallet in the wed earth to form a pool of water and drink from it....good stuff....:D

Cool!!!! Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.