Pearly's Cherryhead baby has been found

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
So he was OUTSIDE of the flower bed?
Was found outside of it but very close. He had to have been hiding either in that flower bed or in the garage, though garage was cold during our cold spell which was probably couple weeks worth of cold nights combined. Cold, meaning, low to high 30's. Being such small cherryhead would he survive those temps unprotected? The garage maybe 10F warmer at the most and there's nothing on the floor to nestle in... If not, then he probably kept himself warm in that flower bed and ate the food. I noticed Mazuri was always gone and some greens and other stuff left over partially. Mazuri has been his favorite. Anyway, it would be nice to know for sure how exacty he survived for 4 weeks out there but we may never know. All we know is that this crazy tort grandma did everything her TFO Friends told her to do, and something did work! Maybe luck? All I know is WE HAVE ARE BABY BACK!!!! Thank you for checking on us

Pearly

5 Year Member
Woohoo! We just had pee and nice size caca!!!! Pee was pretty dark, which does not surprise me. He must have been dehydrated. "Caca" is nice and soft, formed. So far, little Tucker is meeting his post rescue mile stones:)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456765220.663104.jpg Here he is, just very dry. I try not to overwhelm him with too much fuss all at once believing that stress is one of the main causes for most ailments. He's eating like a champ, and now that I've seen him pee and poo I feel a lot more confident that he's on his way to full recovery.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What a little stinker! I'm glad he seems to be doing fine. Thank you for being brave enough to let us all know about your terribly stressful but successful story. I hope it helps others, like me, to remember that we should be cautious with our torts but that they can be very hardy! Keep us updated :D

Pearly

5 Year Member
What a little stinker! I'm glad he seems to be doing fine. Thank you for being brave enough to let us all know about your terribly stressful but successful story. I hope it helps others, like me, to remember that we should be cautious with our torts but that they can be very hardy! Keep us updated :D
Yeah, to be honest I had a brief moment of hesitation before taking a risk of getting criticised. I decided to share in hopes of hearing voices of experience and it was the best thing I ciuld have done! The only voices I heard were the ones of kind concern and empathy not to mention ideas and advise I'd not been able to come up with on my own. I credit those for getting Tucker back.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OMG, you found him!!! I bet he was in the garage somewhere! I said that. Did hubby find him? I knew he would show up. Now, your walls have got to be solid and higher! I'm elated beyond words. Give him a big kiss for me!

Pearly

5 Year Member
OMG, you found him!!! I bet he was in the garage somewhere! I said that. Did hubby find him? I knew he would show up. Now, your walls have got to be solid and higher! I'm elated beyond words. Give him a big kiss for me!
Kiss delivered! Thank you! Maybe the garage or I'm more inclined to think somewhere close to those heat lamps. Would he survive almost 2 weeks of cold weather without heat? Low 30's at night, and 40's during a dsy, and very windy, bone chilling... But like I said whatever way, to me it was a miracle to find him!!! I too knew deep in my heart he was somewhere near and I was not about to give up. I don't know if little baby would make it for 4 weeks without food/water and still look this good. I mean just look at the picture! That's today. Bright eyes and wide open! Walking nice and steady, breathing is clear with clean nose... The food I was putting out for him by the heat lamps was always eaten or at least nibbled on depending in what it was, just like my Tucker would do (picky boy!) my husband found him at dusk yesterday at the garage door doorstep. I'll post picture of that place. Not anything you'd think baby tort would want to hide in... But, whatever! He's back! And I'm happy! Thank you for encouraging me that whole time

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456780723.862942.jpg my husband found him right there at the treshold by the trackImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456780868.254301.jpg in that bottom corner. This garage gets COLD!!!!! The flower bed with the heat lamps, food and water is behing that silver van, it takes him just couple of minutes to make that distans, which he's done many times during their outings.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Kiss delivered! Thank you! Maybe the garage or I'm more inclined to think somewhere close to those heat lamps. Would he survive almost 2 weeks of cold weather without heat? Low 30's at night, and 40's during a dsy, and very windy, bone chilling... But like I said whatever way, to me it was a miracle to find him!!! I too knew deep in my heart he was somewhere near and I was not about to give up. I don't know if little baby would make it for 4 weeks without food/water and still look this good. I mean just look at the picture! That's today. Bright eyes and wide open! Walking nice and steady, breathing is clear with clean nose... The food I was putting out for him by the heat lamps was always eaten or at least nibbled on depending in what it was, just like my Tucker would do (picky boy!) my husband found him at dusk yesterday at the garage door doorstep. I'll post picture of that place. Not anything you'd think baby tort would want to hide in... But, whatever! He's back! And I'm happy! Thank you for encouraging me that whole time
View attachment 166394 my husband found him right there at the treshold by the trackView attachment 166397 in that bottom corner. This garage gets COLD!!!!! The flower bed with the heat lamps, food and water is behing that silver van, it takes him just couple of minutes to make that distans, which he's done many times during their outings.
The main thing is that he's in safe, living hands again. I guess we'll never know where he was hiding out. The way you went over that flower bed several times led me to believe he was close but well protected. I'm sure he was cold and hungry, and they can survive eating slugs and stuff. Make sure he gets a lot of fluids to flush out his system. Btw, I would consider taking him to the vet and run some blood work if his pee continues to be dark.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm so glad you found him. I monitored your thread often but didn't speak up. I was so afraid!

I've had 2 close calls with Levi. Both within 2 weeks of each other this past month. He got out through an accidentally left open gate (that's been fixed) and my heart sunk when I discovered it. I'm on 63 acres right now. Open acres! But after a few minutes, I found him within feet of his enclosure.. It's scary when they are gone. I barely made it through minutes! Couldn't have made it 4 weeks like you did.. You're a trooper!! Now, just like I did, fix your issue so that can't happen again :D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm wondering, is your washer and dryer in the house or in the garage?

Kori5

He looks great :). They both are beautiful. I can't imagine the pain you dealt with these 4 weeks. Glad it's over.