Pearly's cherryhead marbling story

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
That is the prettiest red foot tortoise I've ever seen!!! Do you have more pictures?
I thought he was pretty and still in shock with him turning out this way! I'm telling you he was that baby that I worried all the time about getting sick and dying, was not very pretty hatchling at all. His "sister" was much prettier. I don't think the guy who sold him to me had a clue of his marbling genes bcs he wouldn't have sold him to me for 89$. Sometimes I think that maybe all the work, feeding and tlc that did something to help those genes flourish:)
Oh, who knows? All I know is that he is and will probably always be one to watch, make sure he eats etc. and yes, of course I have more pictures. I started this thread to put the record of his growth out there but also to show him off and brag to you Guys a little:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471189981.839902.jpg my baby Tucker is getting more dark spots. It seems the growth lines are at first all white then in some areas start "leaking in" color, almost like ink stains:) really cool

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471191004.715064.jpgi wonder if my little Tucker ends up being a boy:) he is not quite 14 months old yet, so still very young, 5.25 inches, couple ounces short of a pound. His colors continue to surprise me. At one point he started just growing white, so we all got used to it, and now, he's getting those "ink leak stains" in all that white growth! This is very fascinating and fun to watch!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471191395.520303.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
View attachment 183643i wonder if my little Tucker ends up being a boy:) he is not quite 14 months old yet, so still very young, 5.25 inches, couple ounces short of a pound. His colors continue to surprise me. At one point he started just growing white, so we all got used to it, and now, he's getting those "ink leak stains" in all that white growth! This is very fascinating and fun to watch!View attachment 183644
An astonishingly beautiful tortoise.
One of the most stunning I have ever seen. :)

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Wow! The most recent pictures took my breath away. What a gorgeous baby! I never imagined that it was possible for their coloration to change so much as they grow.
I can only dream of what my little girl will look like someday.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
I just discovered this thread, and am amazed by your gorgeous cheryhead. What a stunner! I really appreciate what you've done with the thread, and your pictures are phenomenal. I'm looking forward to the newest pics. I've got a little cherryhead of my own, I can only hope it blossoms like Tucker. Your torts shells and skin are always so lustrous. They're clearly pampered, but is there a particular product you use to give them that "showroom shine"?:)
Oh, and Merry Christmas, all!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I have neglected that thread and then somehow lost sight of it but it is Time to update this thread. It seems that Tucker is over his "white stage" and now going back to the high melanin growth which is a darn shame, but he is still my little cutie and i love him so much. I'll just sort through picks before posting them to make sure they are in chronological order

Pearly

5 Year Member
Wow! The most recent pictures took my breath away. What a gorgeous baby! I never imagined that it was possible for their coloration to change so much as they grow.
I can only dream of what my little girl will look like someday.
I am sure that well fed and kept in optimal conditions for her species she's be nothing short of another miracle of Nature, Perfectly Beautiful. And thank you for your kind comment

Pearly

5 Year Member
I just discovered this thread, and am amazed by your gorgeous cheryhead. What a stunner! I really appreciate what you've done with the thread, and your pictures are phenomenal. I'm looking forward to the newest pics. I've got a little cherryhead of my own, I can only hope it blossoms like Tucker. Your torts shells and skin are always so lustrous. They're clearly pampered, but is there a particular product you use to give them that "showroom shine"?:)
Oh, and Merry Christmas, all!
The "showroom shine" made me giggle! Yes! Cold pressed organic coconut oil about once a week after bath is what some of us here are using. Thank you for your post and hope you you too had nice Christmas