Pearly's: Juvenile RF new behaviors

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi guys, just wanted to run couple things by you- fellow RF keepers. Shellie is 2 yrs old, measuring 8" and weighing in little over 3lbs. The indoor enclosure has only been used as enclosed nighttime bed (daytime outside in a big Tortoise Garden) where I had well established bio-substrate which had never smelled bad... well couple months ago I had to dump it all out into my tort garden due to it getting soggy all of the sudden after almost 2 yrs of being in perfect balance. I thought maybe my daughter was spilling too much water in water changes or running fogger too much, I emptied the fogger reservoir thinking that was a problem with kids getting kick out of it. It didn't have to be used at all with humidity always lil above 80%. Well, new substrate is just coco coir and reptibark, no earth worms, no rolly-pollies, no soil centipedes, no tiny snails... and it didn't take long for it to start getting soggy again! On one side! The side of the cave. I think she has started peeing there. I know torts are gross and pee and poo in their "bed" to keep humid, but why would she do this with over 80% ambient humidity??? 1) is it adolescent type of behavior? 2) is she even "adolescent" at 2 yrs of age??? 3) or may it be related to increased amt. of time spent outdoors and coming to "bed" only at night? Humidity of the cave in that tank is 87-87% so higher than the outdoors, why would she want to make it more humid? What do you guys think? What's your experience? When does a RF start the "coming of age" process?

xirxes

Don't know much about coming of age or urinating dampness other than egg laying, which this is not.

I would pose that she may be wanting a "damp" area separate from a "humid" area. The more microclimates you can create the better, to suit temporal needs. If you can have an area that is cool and completely dry and a section that is warm and downright damp, and a few sections in between the better, she will use each as needed.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Don't know much about coming of age or urinating dampness other than egg laying, which this is not.

I would pose that she may be wanting a "damp" area separate from a "humid" area. The more microclimates you can create the better, to suit temporal needs. If you can have an area that is cool and completely dry and a section that is warm and downright damp, and a few sections in between the better, she will use each as needed.
Hmmmm... didn't even think about that, but it makes total sense what you are saying here. I'm all about diversity of things like diet and availability of a "range of microclimates" with various terrains like flats, hills, hard, soft, caves, canopies, warmer/cooler within their acceptable range, dry land, wading pools, so having "soggier/mushier" surface available vs dry land makes sense. Thanks for that