pee/poop and behavior

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Hello!
I've had my hatchling Ibera Greek tortoise for a whole two days now (woohoo!) So of course, I am still as paranoid as ever. :)
First question: I never see him pee or poop, he seems happy enough to soak and I soak him several times a day, but should I expect to notice this or will he need to get bigger first (he is TINY right now)

Second question:
I have noticed that he seems to rub his face on his legs pretty frequently. I have checked his eyes for discharge or discoloration and I don't see anything that makes me concerned. Is he just scratching an itch? Is this normal?

And finally:
He is super active when I wake him up, but as soon as I leave him alone and am not soaking him or letting him run around, he might walk around for 10-15 minutes and then he burrows. I have been told that this is partly a survival mechanism, I am just wondering why he is always burrowed-possibly just the stress of moving? The substrate I started with was cypress but I have added coco coir as a base to help keep the humidity up since he is a hatchling. He seems to be eating just fine and doesn't appear to be lethargic... just likes to burrow?

Again-a brand new, paranoid, questioning tortoise owner... I didn't know I'd be so obsessed so quickly!

(and technically he's not even mine... my fiance will be getting him for Christmas!!)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
1) When you soak him/her, they usually do the dirty deeds then. How is his/her's food consumption?

2) For my tortoises, they tend to do this a lot when being soaked. They also do this after they get out of the burrows. This is usually normal nothing to worry bout. What type of lighting are you using? Just a friendly reminder, some lightings does effect the eyes. just check for swelling from time to time.

3) you answered your question already. survival mechanism. Remember, this lil one is scared of you! I MEAN FREAKING OUT! YOUR A MONSTER TO THIS LITTLE GUY! lol... just give him some time. When feeding him, you'll want to leave him alone. Let him get use to you first. My Iberas when feeding time just run up to me. My lil hatchling still are scared.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
His food consumption seems to be fine... or at least, he eats regularly when I'm around (he actually tried to eat some a piece of paper today... I substituted that with some dandelion greens...) -again, I don't know what he's doing other than burrowing when I'm not watching!!
I was originally using the bad UVB compact bulb, but I have had that turned off since yesterday, so he only had maybe 8 hours exposed to it? My spot lamp is a reptibasking spot lamp for heat. Is that one ok? :)

He already seems so friendly when I give him soaks-sometimes he even decides to pull some food into his bath and eat it while he's bathing-he's obviously in spa-land... I can't wait for him to really get comfortable!! :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Babies sleep a lot. One thing about being a tortoise keeper, it teaches you to be like a tortoise. Patient. Baby does not know you. For all he knows, you are going to eat him. Their little instinct many thousands of years in the making. Keep him warm and cozy, hydrated, think 4H, hot and humid = healthy and happy. Give baby time, do not hover too much (again, are you going to eat me?). Sure is cute. Love that you are now obsessed. You have joined the perfect club here, LOL. Yay! : )

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your help! He is starting to eat more and be more active!! :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
^_^ yeah let him get use to his surrounding first. Once he is more active and not burrowing, you can start feeding him by hand to let him get use to you. this might take a while. i mean a long long time! lol....

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Ha! So he is going to finally teach me to be patient..... wonderful!! :) He is already burrowing less and has peed several times... but I have never seen him poop! My fiance keeps teasing me and telling me that I got him a tortoise... and I am just as obsessed if not more as he is!! :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
milkandsam said:
Ha! So he is going to finally teach me to be patient..... wonderful!! :) He is already burrowing less and has peed several times... but I have never seen him poop! My fiance keeps teasing me and telling me that I got him a tortoise... and I am just as obsessed if not more as he is!! :)

You really picked a good tortoise to begin with! you'll love him! ^_^ the way i got my first tortoise was because of my wife. it was actually her pet! I worked grave and one day i just saw her in the living room and i was mad at first. I told her to return her and she refused! I began reading up on the tortoise care and eventually fell in love! she became my tortoise! lol...

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Ha! Glad I'm not the only one!! I have always been a dog person, but the other day my fiance looked at me and said... "I think we're gonna be more like reptile people......." I think he might be right!!! :)

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Thank you thank you thank you for all of my very paranoid questions!! He finally pooped for the first time this morning.. It seemed like he had been holding it for a really long time!!!! He is finally eating more and acting more like some other people describe their tortoises!!

:):)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
milkandsam said:
Thank you thank you thank you for all of my very paranoid questions!! He finally pooped for the first time this morning.. It seemed like he had been holding it for a really long time!!!! He is finally eating more and acting more like some other people describe their tortoises!!

We would rather have you ask than to wait last minute ^_^ so glad he/she is doing well! POST PICTURES! LOTS N LOTS!

:):)

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Good morning! Yummy breakfast!!! :):)

Attachments

• 1386777118889.jpg
    1386777118889.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 44

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
milkandsam said:
Good morning! Yummy breakfast!!! :):)
Milksndsam, I can't private message you Cus you have it turn off. Lol. To answer your question.

He is a hatchling, it'll still be soft. It will take a while for it to fully harden. Need to feed him lots of things that contains vitamin c.

At a young age, they are more prone to MVD. So proper humidity, heat and feeding is everything.

Humidity should be at 60-70
Heat: 75 cool end, basking 95-100 and night time temp is 75 degrees.

ambertilly123

5 Year Member
Milkandsam
I had the exact same problem with the pee and poop
And Tilly (my tortoise) was only tiny when we had the problem so it might be a similar thing .
ambertilly123

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
What a beautiful Greek! I love Greeks.i have 3 myself!

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Oops, I'll have to figure that out when I get home from work. My bad! Lol. Glad to know he's not sick. I about had a heart attack this morning! He has this little black spot that I am worried about as well. Is it just dirt or shell rot?

Attachments

• 1386790259956.jpg
    1386790259956.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 30

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
milkandsam said:
Oops, I'll have to figure that out when I get home from work. My bad! Lol. Glad to know he's not sick. I about had a heart attack this morning! He has this little black spot that I am worried about as well. Is it just dirt or shell rot?

Lol lol lol... That is where he use to have his yolk sack from the looks of it. You have nothing to worry bout. You reminded me of me back then.

Looks like you have a beautiful Ibera Greek on your hand! My fav species.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
ambertilly123 said:
Milkandsam
And Tilly (my tortoise) was only tiny when we had the problem so it might be a similar thing .
ambertilly123

Hm, maybe it is just because he is young. He finally pooped twice, and it was A LOT. So i'm not sure if maybe he is holding it for a long time and letting it go all at once? Or if we just aren't finding all of it yet :)

I don't think i ever thought I would be on a tortoise forum discussing poo... but here I am! ha :)

Jlant85 said:
milkandsam said:

Lol lol lol... That is where he use to have his yolk sack from the looks of it. You have nothing to worry bout. You reminded me of me back then.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries this much! He is super cute! I am so glad we went with the Ibera for our first tort :) I'm a little worried about the humidity right now... It's really difficult to keep up with how dry it is here... :( Guess we will have to keep it up!! grr!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
milkandsam said:
ambertilly123 said:
Milkandsam
ambertilly123

Hm, maybe it is just because he is young. He finally pooped twice, and it was A LOT. So i'm not sure if maybe he is holding it for a long time and letting it go all at once? Or if we just aren't finding all of it yet :)

I don't think i ever thought I would be on a tortoise forum discussing poo... but here I am! ha :)

Jlant85 said:
milkandsam said:

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries this much! He is super cute! I am so glad we went with the Ibera for our first tort :) I'm a little worried about the humidity right now... It's really difficult to keep up with how dry it is here... :( Guess we will have to keep it up!! grr!

What substrate are you using?