Pelusios nanus tank

julietteq

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Good morning,

I thought I would share some pics of my pelusios nanus tank. I have 3 females and 1 male. The tank is 7feet 6 inches long, 1.6 ft wide and 1.3 ft deep. I have split it up in 2 parts. 2/3 part is water and 1/3 is swamp and there is a dry part which is used for egg laying.
As a filter I use the oase biomaster thermo 600 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LHFRR93/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) and it does an excellent job to keep the water at the correct temperature and obviously clean. In addition to the filter I have covered the bottom with oxygen plants and I have planted the swamp area with plants that are known for cleaning water. I use the "pond" water to feed my other plants and then add some new water to it. It appears to do the trick! I also created several basking spots partly in the water and completely out of the water using aquarium wood.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any good ideas please share them !

Attachments

• IMG_9292.jpg
    IMG_9292.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9291.jpg
    IMG_9291.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9289.jpg
    IMG_9289.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9288.jpg
    IMG_9288.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9287.jpg
    IMG_9287.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9285.jpg
    IMG_9285.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9286.jpg
    IMG_9286.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9284.jpg
    IMG_9284.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9283.jpg
    IMG_9283.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9279.jpg
    IMG_9279.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9278.jpg
    IMG_9278.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9277.jpg
    IMG_9277.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9276.jpg
    IMG_9276.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 44

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
How old are your turtles? Does the male chase the females around? I got two Pelusios nanus hatchlings at the end of March. One was born this January (Bug is the dark variety) and the other this February (Wally is the yellow variety). They weigh 21g and 24g.
How early can you determine the gender with this breed? There is little information about this particular type of mud turtle so I am learning as I go.

Attachments

• Wally.jpg
    Wally.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • Sunbathing.jpg
    Sunbathing.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • Bug.jpg
    Bug.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 36

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
How old are your turtles? Does the male chase the females around? I got two Pelusios nanus hatchlings at the end of March. One was born this January (Bug is the dark variety) and the other this February (Wally is the yellow variety). They weigh 21g and 24g.
How early can you determine the gender with this breed? There is little information about this particular type of mud turtle so I am learning as I go.
Hello, how nice to meet somebody who has them as well. Yes information is very limited about this species so I am learning as well. I got mine around1 year ago and they were adults. I have 3 females and 1 male and the male chases the females relentlessly ! you def. need a 1 : 3 ratio at least if you want the females to have some piece and quiet sometimes. Mine laid eggs end November and they were supposed to hatch 2 months later. unfortunately something went wrong and they all got mould and the last one had a full grown turtle in there, but it died while in the egg.
You can tell the difference the same way as with lots of other turtles. The male has a longer tale despite the fact that he is a little smaller then the females. Also his plastron has a Dent in it. I will try to get pictures for you later ok?

Can you show me your tank? What I have noticed is they like a "swamp" area with plants. They will burry completely in it with just their tiny little nose sticking out. Do you have a swamp area?

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Hello, how nice to meet somebody who has them as well. Yes information is very limited about this species so I am learning as well. I got mine around1 year ago and they were adults. I have 3 females and 1 male and the male chases the females relentlessly ! you def. need a 1 : 3 ratio at least if you want the females to have some piece and quiet sometimes. Mine laid eggs end November and they were supposed to hatch 2 months later. unfortunately something went wrong and they all got mould and the last one had a full grown turtle in there, but it died while in the egg.
You can tell the difference the same way as with lots of other turtles. The male has a longer tale despite the fact that he is a little smaller then the females. Also his plastron has a Dent in it. I will try to get pictures for you later ok?

Can you show me your tank? What I have noticed is they like a "swamp" area with plants. They will burry completely in it with just their tiny little nose sticking out. Do you have a swamp area?
Here are some more pictures including the tank. I bought them from Marc at Turtle Source. I definitely need to add more sand as there is only about 1 inch. The water height is 2-2.5 inches. Anything higher in terms of water levels makes them nervous. The turtles are still so small, one at 1.5 inches and the other is about 1.75 inches. Water temp is 77-78.

I just read on someone else's post that they don't like bright lights. Is that your experience as well? I have a heating lamp and a UV bulb. Some days I only turn on the UV bulb to see if they just prefer that but I honestly can't tell yet. Do I even need a UV bulb with mud turtles?

I would appreciate the pictures to see gender differences. I know my two are too young to tell their gender, I am just dying to know so I can plan the "Gender Reveal" party, just kidding-- well maybe.

I am waiting until they are a bit older (like 6-8 months) to bring in live plants for a more realistic swamp area. My overprotective self wants them to have a bit more immunity before being exposed to bacteria/fungi on live plants. Also, at such a small size, they tend to get "lost" easily in their tank.

Both sleep together most nights under their favorite bush somewhat buried which I suspect is rare? I know turtles don't have turtle friends like mammals so I wonder if this is a survival technique.

Attachments

• TankMates.jpg
    TankMates.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • Treeclimber.jpg
    Treeclimber.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • Hideyhole.jpg
    Hideyhole.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • WallyHeadShot.jpg
    WallyHeadShot.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • TankMates.jpg
    TankMates.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Hello, your tank looks great and yes mine bury at night as well. I guess it is a "safety" thing. Attached you see the pictures, they did not want to sit still so it was hard to make a shot of them sitting next to each other. so you can see the size difference. The male is a lot smaller then the females. I am not quite certain if you see the "hollowed" plastron of the male, but the tail says it all :)
the male, but the tail says it all

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 08.21.10.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 08.21.31.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 08.21.31.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 08.21.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 08.21.52.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 08.22.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 08.22.17.png
    489.6 KB · Views: 23

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Thank you Juliette for the pictures. I had to study them a bit but I do see the "hollowed" plastron you referred to in your last post. So now it is just a waiting game.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Thanks Tom! I had to cancel my annual trip to Long Beach and Palm Springs due to CoVID. First time I am not going in about 20 years!!!
My brother tells me they had 105 degrees in Palm Springs yesterday while I had 35 in NY and some snow!! Just sayin'....

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
I love making enclosures that resemble nature as much as possible. When I was a child I always wanted to study biology, but my parents would not allow me. My dad said I could study either mathematics or physics, he felt it was important I had a choice :) Just wished I lived in a different climate zone to take even better care of my tortoise and turtles :)

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
The "swamp" area with all the plants does an excellent job keeping the water clean next to the filter I use. I would strongly recommend it. I have set it up in such a way that soil cannot flow back into the tank but the tankwater can flow into the "swamp". I have zero Ammonia, nitrites and an almost unmeasurable nitrate level. Besides it looks really pretty and the turtles visit it almost daily. On the bottom of my tank I have lots of "oxygen" producing plants which prevent algea from growing.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Juliette- you have inspired me. That and a fungal infection for Wally had me rearranging the turtle tank. I added driftwood and sphagnum moss to help lower the pH. I will wait on the real plants until Wally is better. Thanks for your advice!
Notice Bug is already exploring his "land". Wally is out dry-docking for a few hours.

Attachments

• New tank.jpg
    New tank.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • Land Ahoy.jpg
    Land Ahoy.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
The "swamp" area with all the plants does an excellent job keeping the water clean next to the filter I use. I would strongly recommend it. I have set it up in such a way that soil cannot flow back into the tank but the tankwater can flow into the "swamp". I have zero Ammonia, nitrites and an almost unmeasurable nitrate level. Besides it looks really pretty and the turtles visit it almost daily. On the bottom of my tank I have lots of "oxygen" producing plants which prevent algea from growing.
I use to teach biology! Now I teach Anatomy.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Juliette- you have inspired me. That and a fungal infection for Wally had me rearranging the turtle tank. I added driftwood and sphagnum moss to help lower the pH. I will wait on the real plants until Wally is better. Thanks for your advice!
Notice Bug is already exploring his "land". Wally is out dry-docking for a few hours.
I will add more plastic plants back but they are soaking in vinegar to de-funga-ize (I made that word up) them.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
That is so funny that you used to teach biology and thank you so much for your compliment !

I can understand that you do not want "soil" on the bottom of your tank. What works really well is if you take a plastic container and pierce holes in the bottom and some in the sides at the height of your waterlevel, so it is no longer watertight. You put in some mesh to prevent the soil from getting washed out of the container and fill it up with soil. Plant some small pond plants who purify water and plant them in the corners of your container. This will give your turtles a nice swamp area and it will clean the water besides it looks brilliant. Make certain that you use plants that are sturdy (see picture). The turtles love hiding under leaves, but they will walk over the plant killing it within days :)

What also works very well to make certain your tankwater stays clean (plus it gives the turtles something to do) is to add some cherry shrimp. They are too fast for the turtles to eat unless they are old and it is "natural" for them to be eaten. The turtles love "stalking" up on them though and they cannot appear to get enough of the "hunt".

When the point comes and you get a bigger tank, it may be a good idea to add a fresh water mussel. They will clean out any "debris" and floating particles. The turtles are not strong enough to eat them. Just make certain you do not have too many mussels because otherwise they may starve.

Look forward to your tank updates !

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 20.11.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 20.11.13.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 12

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
That is so funny that you used to teach biology and thank you so much for your compliment !

I can understand that you do not want "soil" on the bottom of your tank. What works really well is if you take a plastic container and pierce holes in the bottom and some in the sides at the height of your waterlevel, so it is no longer watertight. You put in some mesh to prevent the soil from getting washed out of the container and fill it up with soil. Plant some small pond plants who purify water and plant them in the corners of your container. This will give your turtles a nice swamp area and it will clean the water besides it looks brilliant. Make certain that you use plants that are sturdy (see picture). The turtles love hiding under leaves, but they will walk over the plant killing it within days :)

What also works very well to make certain your tankwater stays clean (plus it gives the turtles something to do) is to add some cherry shrimp. They are too fast for the turtles to eat unless they are old and it is "natural" for them to be eaten. The turtles love "stalking" up on them though and they cannot appear to get enough of the "hunt".

When the point comes and you get a bigger tank, it may be a good idea to add a fresh water mussel. They will clean out any "debris" and floating particles. The turtles are not strong enough to eat them. Just make certain you do not have too many mussels because otherwise they may starve.

Look forward to your tank updates !
Where do you get cherry shrimp? No one in my area sells them. I do have a few large ghost shrimp in the tank with the turtles.