Pending Russian Tortoise Owner! Need advice!

Emma Vanderheyden

Hello! I'm working on getting a baby Russian tortoise and I need help with some reasons why I should get one so I can present it to my parents

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old are you and do you have the money to properly house one? It will need an enclosure that is not just a ten or twenty gallon aquarium. When it's a few years older it will need an enclosure that is at least a 4x8 feet. UVB light, heat source, substrate, food and water bowls, hide and then of course food. Start up cost not including the tort is roughly 200.00 give or take a few bucks.
Read the caresheet under the Russian section and see if you can provide what it requires.

Emma Vanderheyden

How old are you and do you have the money to properly house one? It will need an enclosure that is not just a ten or twenty gallon aquarium. When it's a few years older it will need an enclosure that is at least a 4x8 feet. UVB light, heat source, substrate, food and water bowls, hide and then of course food. Start up cost not including the tort is roughly 200.00 give or take a few bucks.
Read the caresheet under the Russian section and see if you can provide what it requires.
I'm in my mid teens and yes, I have been saving for this for awhile. I'm home everyday as I am homeschooled so I will be able to take care of it and meet it's everyday needs. I've heard that your not supposed to use a glass enclosure, is this true? I plan to indoor house it part of the year, and keep it outdoors as weather permits. I have heard plywood enclosures are good for Russians kept inside as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Emma, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises need a lot of space to wander, so in that case, a glass tank is too small or too expensive to buy one big enough. For in the house you can try to find a used book case for sale, remove the shelves, lay it on its back and go for it. But outside is best.