Penelope is pyramiding and I don't know why!

C. Nelson

Location (City and/or State)
Grand Junction, CO
Hi all,
While I own a Speke's Hingeback, I think everyone here would find the paper I'm about to reference interesting/relevant. My reptile vet gave it to me a few months back when we were discussing temps in my Speke's enclosure. I made a comment about my temps and she recommended reading this paper as it refutes some of the common knowledge. This study used Leopard and Sulcatas. This may give the OP some insight into adjustments they may need to make for their juvie.
Be sure to read the entire paper (it's short) and not just the abstract.

https://www.academia.edu/32659497/E...N_GROWTH_RATE_AND_CARAPACIAL_SCUTE_PYRAMIDING

Wow! Thank you for this reference. There are a lot of great articles at this site.

Sue Ann

Location (City and/or State)
chapin , South Carolina
The New Zealand sphagnum moss can cause shell rot. I've recently seen a case of some young SA leopard tortoises that demonstrated this. Prior to this, I'd never seen a leopard tortoise with shell rot under any circumstances. It should not be used for tortoise substrate.

I have used fine orchid bark about 3 in deep I put a a small amount of spaghnam moss around the water bowl to increase the moisture in the tank. He is currently in the 20 gal long tank. He has an outdoor area about 8ft to spend an hour or two a day outside.
Thanks for the warning about the moss.