Penis Prolapse - need a Midlands, UK vet

Jackiemuscat

Location (City and/or State)
Northampton
Hi All

It seems my 3 year old Marginated tortoise once flashed a bit too hard and now has a penis prolapse and needs to see a Vet. Any recommendations for any in the Northamptonshire or Midlands area? I have one recommendation for Craig @ Chine House in Loughborough but ideally looking for one a tiny bit closer if possible.

(obviously done a google and looked in the vet channel here too but not coming up with much)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What have you done so far? You don’t need to rush off to a vet. First thing, place your tort in a nice soaking tub of warm water. Maybe longer than usual. Swap out the water to keep it warm, not HOT or COLD. No need for vet UNLESS this goes on for a very long time.

Dr @zovick can prob provide better info.

Jackiemuscat

Northampton
What have you done so far? You don’t need to rush off to a vet. First thing, place your tort in a nice soaking tub of warm water. Maybe longer than usual. Swap out the water to keep it warm, not HOT or COLD. No need for vet UNLESS this goes on for a very long time.

Dr @zovick can prob provide better info.
Been about 2 weeks. Today I removed all the substrate, so it’s not getting stuck on it. I’m also upping the baths to 2-3 times a day for the next 7 days (was doing 2x week prior to now)

He’s still pooping and peeing fine and eating fine. Just worried he’s in pain!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
There was advise to rub a sugar and water paste into it and that helps.
Just reading old threads on some subject at end of this and found this have a read may help....

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Been about 2 weeks. Today I removed all the substrate, so it’s not getting stuck on it. I’m also upping the baths to 2-3 times a day for the next 7 days (was doing 2x week prior to now)

He’s still pooping and peeing fine and eating fine. Just worried he’s in pain!
If the penis has been prolapsed for two weeks, I would definitely recommend taking the animal to a vet. Amputation of the penis may be in order by this time, so be prepared.

Jackiemuscat

Northampton
If the penis has been prolapsed for two weeks, I would definitely recommend taking the animal to a vet. Amputation of the penis may be in order by this time, so be prepared.
Yes that’s what our local reptile shop said.

Would love to find an exotic vet nearer than an hour away if poss!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Found this one in Oxford

This one in Birmingham.....

Cannot see any herp vets in Northamptonshire.

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes that’s what our local reptile shop said.

Would love to find an exotic vet nearer than an hour away if poss!
You should be aware that waiting too long to do anything about this problem could result in an infection which could even lead to the animal's death. I know this because it happened to a Ploughshare Tortoise at the Honolulu Zoo some years ago.