Penis prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbal

5 Year Member
:tort:

Hi
I have two Herrman's, George & Hermione (both thought to be male on purchase at 1yr old) They are now 3 yrs. George developed a penis prolapse last evening which retracted after about 30 minutes. He was taken to the vet for advise/guidance. Suggestions were, separate from female (done), using very smal syringe hydrate/clean area and observe. Return to vet if no improvement or recurrence. Any other suggestions to avoid this situation recurring?

Lesley (Southampton UK)​
[/size][/font]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Has George been acting out being sexually mature? To my knowledge, sometimes I believe these are even caused by straining, when trying to have a bowel movement. Other times, they happen by just the male ummm becoming sexually aroused even when by themselves. Basically a flashing gone bad.

Not sure how much having a female in with him even had anything to do with it. Guess nothing is harmed by removing the female just in case.

I also was lead to believe that recurrences were some what okay, that only if he can't retract his penis do you have to really worry.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I can't speak for everyone.. But my 9yr old sulcata is a flashing fool.. Once he spent a good 15 minutes getting up high and waving it around before he put it away.. Seems to happen in the soak or when it rains:rolleyes:

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Tony the tank said:
I can't speak for everyone.. But my 9yr old sulcata is a flashing fool.. Once he spent a good 15 minutes getting up high and waving it around before he put it away.. Seems to happen in the soak or when it rains:rolleyes:
Whoooaaaa nellie!! I guess since little boys do it why not little boy torties!! In the wild there is no one to catch them :p LOL!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lesley:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

A male tortoise sometimes puts his penis out quite often as he grows to be breeding size. Its not actually called a prolapse until it seems to be stuck outside the body. The only time you have to worry about it is if it comes out and stays out. If he can't bring it back in, then you must keep it moist and take him to the vet.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I agree with everyone, if it comes out and stays out then worry...

Tumbal

5 Year Member
:tort: Hi All respondants to this query.

Many thanks for your comments and advice. George seems to be absolutely fine, although not at all happy being separated from Hermione! Yes, he has been trying to "practice" sexual activity for a few months now. Poor love!

All good wishes.

lesley

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
The only time you have to worry about it is if it comes out and stays out.
I think that is a good rule in general

But like said above it is not considered a prolapse until it gets stuck, otherwise it is probably just a boy being a boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.