people in the northeast with Boxies-

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
I am curious, when do you normally find babies in the outdoor enclosure if you have both genders outside? i am in Eastern Pa and i have no idea if i should be looking for babies and if so, what time of the year? I put them out there in May.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467331424.420257.jpg

Hello Colleen, one of my female 3 toeds laid its first clutch since I got her last year on the weee morning hours of 6/27/16 (which is my daughters birthday, easy to remember). It's hard to see in the pic but i have hardware cloth marked around the den spot. It took her about 4 hours to dig it how she wanted and another hour or so to lay them and cover. I think I saw 4 eggs. I have no intentions on incubating them myself, if they show up in September great if they don't, oh well. Depending on your ground temps the eggs could hatch in 50-80 days and sometimes longer. So even if your girl laid some eggs in May you probably wouldn't see anything until lat July or August at the soonest. Heck you might not even find the boogers till next year:) I reckon you would of noticed the nesting signs of your female though if she was to lay any legs. She would be a bit restless, maybe digging multiple nesting sites, loss of appetite etc. good luck I hope you get yourself some babies if your looking to do so!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
not really trying, but it would be cool to find one or two. my girl has been digging and etc all spring/summer, so i have been ignoring her. not sure what is going on. Not necessarily holes for laying eggs, but there is a lot of plant life in there and i don't always see them.