Peppermint and spearmint..

Whayla

I just thought I'd ask, not only because I am growing both, but because I know that my RF can eat a variety of herbs.
I'm curious if peppermint and spearmint are okay herbs to feed a Red Footed tortoise? I feed my Tortuga as varied as I can and I'd like to know if I can branch out even more with my home grown garden.
Thanks everyone for the input!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Have you fed yours other herbs? Always curious which herbs folks find their critters liking. So many dislike herbs because of the strong odor.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Peppermint is not safe to feed, I believe spearmint is.

I gave up on herbs after seeing my tort literally run away from cilantro.

Whayla

Tortuga usually eats about anything I put in front of her (including carpet if she's on it long!). I've fed basil, parsley, oregano... I'm sure more, but my mind is drawing a blank right now. She hasn't turned down any of the herbs I've tried and I think the stronger odors actually attracts her to taste them. She is quite young and I try to feed a good varied diet, so maybe she's just grown accustom to trying new things.
I don't mind. ;)
Peppermint is not safe to feed, I believe spearmint is..
I'm curious as to why you say this. I've always thought that Peppermint and Spearmint were closely related. Not that I don't trust or appreciate your input, I'd just like to know what brings you to this conclusion.

Whayla

Tortuga usually eats about anything I put in front of her (including carpet if she's on it long!). I've fed basil, parsley, oregano... I'm sure more, but my mind is drawing a blank right now. She hasn't turned down any of the herbs I've tried and I think the stronger odors actually attracts her to taste them. She is quite young and I try to feed a good varied diet, so maybe she's just grown accustom to trying new things.
I don't mind. ;)
Peppermint is not safe to feed, I believe spearmint is..
I'm curious as to why you say this. I've always thought that Peppermint and Spearmint were closely related. Not that I don't trust or appreciate your input, I'd just like to know what brings you to this conclusion.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I don't mind. ;)

I don't remember where I learned it but the tortoise table confirms. Click Wellingtons link above. They are in the same family but peppermint contains some sort of toxin I believe.

Whayla

Perfect. Thanks so much you guys. I guess Tortuga won't receive any of my mint, as I am afraid I planted the two mints together and I cannot tell which is which plant. Silly me. Better safe than sorry though. I REALLY like that link for the tortoise table site, and will definitely be using it a ton in the future. Great resource. Thanks a billion!