Permanent outdoor housing for Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I got a new Greek, and was thinking about housing it outdoors permanently for summer. I have notice that it is very active and does not like being confined. I live in Huntington Beach, Ca. Summer are usually pretty nice here. Mostly 80s but get into the 90s regularly, and usually in the 60s at night. These temps seem pretty good for a Greek in my opinion but I want a second opinion. For a hide, I was thinking of making a mini insulated tortoise house. Should I give the tortoise an open door and let it choose where it wants to be, or should I lock it up at night?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Permanent outdoor housing for Greek?

theelectraco said:
I got a new Greek, and was thinking about housing it outdoors permanently for summer. I have notice that it is very active and does not like being confined. I live in Huntington Beach, Ca. Summer are usually pretty nice here. Mostly 80s but get into the 90s regularly, and usually in the 60s at night. These temps seem pretty good for a Greek in my opinion but I want a second opinion. For a hide, I was thinking of making a mini insulated tortoise house. Should I give the tortoise an open door and let it choose where it wants to be, or should I lock it ?

The temperatures sound just fine. Do you have an issue with potential predators? If so, I would recommend wire over the enclosure rather than locking your tort in... then your tort can get up when it chooses and you get a lie in.

Your hide needs to be something your tort can "dig in" to. They like to push under foliage or similar and dig into the earth underneath. Depending on your tort's size, a half buried flower pot or similar woukd do the job.

I have a cold frame with a hole in the wall that is half filled straw that Joe, who is quite large, uses for sleeping. It's in a spot that gets the sun first thing in the morning so he warms up quickly. At present we haven't got enough sun in the UK, so I move him to a dog kennel with a heat lamp in it for that early morning power boost! He doesn't always choose to sleep in his cold frame... you will get used to your tort making his own mind up!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
theelectraco said:
I got a new Greek, and was thinking about housing it outdoors permanently for summer. I have notice that it is very active and does not like being confined. I live in Huntington Beach, Ca. Summer are usually pretty nice here. Mostly 80s but get into the 90s regularly, and usually in the 60s at night. These temps seem pretty good for a Greek in my opinion but I want a second opinion. For a hide, I was thinking of making a mini insulated tortoise house. Should I give the tortoise an open door and let it choose where it wants to be, or should I lock it ?

The temperatures sound just fine. Do you have an issue with potential predators? If so, I would recommend wire over the enclosure rather than locking your tort in... then your tort can get up when it chooses and you get a lie in.

Your hide needs to be something your tort can "dig in" to. They like to push under foliage or similar and dig into the earth underneath. Depending on your tort's size, a half buried flower pot or similar woukd do the job.

I have a cold frame with a hole in the wall that is half filled straw that Joe, who is quite large, uses for sleeping. It's in a spot that gets the sun first thing in the morning so he warms up quickly. At present we haven't got enough sun in the UK, so I move him to a dog kennel with a heat lamp in it for that early morning power boost! He doesn't always choose to sleep in his cold frame... you will get used to your tort making his own mind up!

The only predator would be my dog but it will have a fence to secure it. That is a good idea about placing the hide in the spot that gets son first. So you don't think it needs an insulated hide? I could build a floor less house and submerge it slightly so it can dig.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Not with your temperatures. As long as it doesn't go below 50F at night, he'll be fine. I put straw in the cold frame for Joe to push under and that insulates anyway.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Thanks!

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
>.< so cal is so damn lucky! SAN FRANCISCO AIN'T THE SAME! And yet we only about 350 miles away from each other!! THE FUDGE!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Your temps year round is fine. I'm a little north of you and use to keep my Greek out year round even in the winter time when it's in the 40s they did fine at night just make sure they stay dry. Never wet and cold

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Jlant85 said:
>.< so cal is so damn lucky! SAN FRANCISCO AIN'T THE SAME! And yet we only about 350 miles away from each other!! THE FUDGE!

I can appreciate the warm weather for the tortoise but I still hate the heat!!

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Jlant85 said:

I leave my heart in San Francisco when I visit, but yeah, our Orange County clime rocks it for our little shelled wonders! : )

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Millerlite said:
Your temps year round is fine. I'm a little north of you and use to keep my Greek out year round even in the winter time when it's in the 40s they did fine at night just make sure they stay dry. Never wet and cold

Its the damn fog! It gets really moist specially in the morning. How bout a green hour like enclosure? Would that help me keep them outside all night long with out them getting damped? I was thinking of making something like that to place over the enclosure during night time.

Status
Not open for further replies.