Personality difference between Leopard tortes and South African Leopard tortes

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
As I understand it things the South African leopard tortes are less shy, have a little more outgoing personalities. They are a bit bigger.
I have been reading like crazy. Some of the old threads and came across a few that mentions territorial differences in the South African Leopards compared to the regular leopards.

Such as males being aggressive when one enters their pen. Nipping/biting/chasing you down kind of thing.
Females not having that same issue.

Now these were pretty old threads and I wanted to see if some of the long time tortoise owners feel this to be accurate.
If this something I should be aware of that may very well happen or is this pretty rare? I want to make the right choice as I do have young kids that will be interacting with the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The chasing, nipping, etc, can be a thing with any tort.
I have two regular male leopards. Both very personable. One I raised, one I rescued. Neither have ever rammed me or tried to bite, although one does run up to me and has to walk over my foot.
I used to have one regular female and one mixed female. The regular was very shy, the mixed wasn't at all.

Megatron's Mom

The chasing, nipping, etc, can be a thing with any tort.
I have two regular male leopards. Both very personable. One I raised, one I rescued. Neither have ever rammed me or tried to bite, although one does run up to me and has to walk over my foot.
I used to have one regular female and one mixed female. The regular was very shy, the mixed wasn't at all.
Thanks, that is what I was hoping for.
I was worried it would be like having a bull in the backyard ready to charge lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are some that likes to ram ankles but luckily they move slow enough it's easy to get out of their way. Mine mainly are nosey and if I'm in their pen, doing something they want to be right there. My one that needs to walk on my feet, he comes marching over like he does want to bulldoze me, but he just acts tuff.
Now a sulcata can be a bull dozer, more with things in their yard then people.

Megatron's Mom

There are some that likes to ram ankles but luckily they move slow enough it's easy to get out of their way. Mine mainly are nosey and if I'm in their pen, doing something they want to be right there. My one that needs to walk on my feet, he comes marching over like he does want to bulldoze me, but he just acts tuff.
Now a sulcata can be a bull dozer, more with things in their yard then people.
I have a mini dachshund who likes to sit on our feet. He tries to park his butt on a foot misstep. I swear he's trying to kill me😂

Now that I'm researching much better I just want to know just about anything and everything. I won't be letting roam the yard free. I'll build a proper enclosure and yard for the tortoise.

The kids are not real small but the youngest is 8. I want to be prepared. Plus by that time he'll also be older by the time the tortoise is bigger.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
South African leopard tortes are less shy, have a little more outgoing personalities. They are a bit bigger.
I have a SA BP mix. He is not shy in the slightest. Very outgoing but not bigger... I don't think. If I remember correctly he's 15-17" and 25+ lbs at 10 years old.
territorial differences in the South African Leopards compared to the regular leopards.

Such as males being aggressive when one enters their pen. Nipping/biting/chasing you down kind of thing.
This is my male. 100%. If you enter "his" yard, forget about it. He will even stop eating to ram you and wont stop pacing the perimeter board (my tortoise barrier so he can't escape through an open gate) if he can see you.
He chases non stop but mostly only rams....hard. He's only nipped or tried to bite like 2x, ever.

If you see him outside of "his" yard. No chasing or ramming at all. Cruising and eating from your hand just fine.
Now these were pretty old threads and I wanted to see if some of the long time tortoise owners feel this to be accurate.
If this something I should be aware of that may very well happen or is this pretty rare? I want to make the right choice as I do have young kids that will be interacting with the tortoise.
I've had Levi all 10 years of his life. This territorial behavior kicked in when he was 3-4.

No idea if it's common or rare because no one else around here has leopard tortoises. BUT I also had him with young kids. My sons are now 13 & 12 but have had Levi their whole lives. I wouldn't NOT have Levi cuz of kids. In fact, he was one of my favorite animal ambassadors to use in my exotic animal birthday party program.

To keep the peace in the backyard, we have 2x10s set up as a barrier around my patio. That way we have a turtle free space so he can't get us.
When I'm working in the yard, we either assign a kid "turtle duty" and it's the kids job to keep picking him up and moving him away from the person working, or we lock him up in his house, or put him in a tote.

Yesterday I was using the nail gun to attach some trim to the chicken coop and didn't see Levi coming. ((my fault not to assume he'd know I was there)) He rammed me just as I shot a nail and let's just say......I'm ok. But might not have been! After that, I called a kid out and put him on turtle duty until I was done.

Everyone loves how feisty Levi is. Does he hurt me, sometimes. Does it get annoying being on the look out and have I threatened to turn him into turtle soup more than once, yes. BUT I wouldn't trade him for the world. I work around who he is. Lay in a hammock instead of on the ground and I'm beginning to like the look of 10" high fences.

Megatron's Mom

I have a SA BP mix. He is not shy in the slightest. Very outgoing but not bigger... I don't think. If I remember correctly he's 15-17" and 25+ lbs at 10 years old.

This is my male. 100%. If you enter "his" yard, forget about it. He will even stop eating to ram you and wont stop pacing the perimeter board (my tortoise barrier so he can't escape through an open gate) if he can see you.
He chases non stop but mostly only rams....hard. He's only nipped or tried to bite like 2x, ever.

If you see him outside of "his" yard. No chasing or ramming at all. Cruising and eating from your hand just fine.

I've had Levi all 10 years of his life. This territorial behavior kicked in when he was 3-4.

No idea if it's common or rare because no one else around here has leopard tortoises. BUT I also had him with young kids. My sons are now 13 & 12 but have had Levi their whole lives. I wouldn't NOT have Levi cuz of kids. In fact, he was one of my favorite animal ambassadors to use in my exotic animal birthday party program.

To keep the peace in the backyard, we have 2x10s set up as a barrier around my patio. That way we have a turtle free space so he can't get us.
When I'm working in the yard, we either assign a kid "turtle duty" and it's the kids job to keep picking him up and moving him away from the person working, or we lock him up in his house, or put him in a tote.

Yesterday I was using the nail gun to attach some trim to the chicken coop and didn't see Levi coming. ((my fault not to assume he'd know I was there)) He rammed me just as I shot a nail and let's just say......I'm ok. But might not have been! After that, I called a kid out and put him on turtle duty until I was done.

Everyone loves how feisty Levi is. Does he hurt me, sometimes. Does it get annoying being on the look out and have I threatened to turn him into turtle soup more than once, yes. BUT I wouldn't trade him for the world. I work around who he is. Lay in a hammock instead of on the ground and I'm beginning to like the look of 10" high fences.
Than you for this. When I first started reading some comments about ramming and territorial. My mind went straight to a mean nasty rooster where no body is safe. I'm glad its not like that.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Than you for this. When I first started reading some comments about ramming and territorial. My mind went straight to a mean nasty rooster where no body is safe. I'm glad its not like that.
I have also had a mean, nasty rooster and my little kids weren't safe with him. So, I can doubly confirm that the territorial tortoise is not like the rooster.