Personality of a Sulcata Tortoise verses a Leopard Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesktw0

5 Year Member
I have tried to read all the articles and forums I can. But I feel like I am at a wall. If you are experienced with care and husbandry of both the Sulcata and leopard tortoise can you please tell me if the temperament of a leopard tortoise is similar to that of a sulcata tortoise. I have read that Sulcatas are tolerant to human interaction, but are leopard tortoises as tolerant to human interaction? I will be starting a family soon and I would like my children to be able to interact with the tortoise. I plan to keep my tortoise for life and want to make the best choice. I want to interact with my tortoise and enjoy him/her. Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks in advance.
Chelsea

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: Personality of a Sulcata Tortise verses a Leopard Tortise

:D Let the great debate begin again! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

This could be good. Okay all, that owns both, get in here. Whose better? I personally say a leopard, know why? LOL

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Boy, we need a link to all the other debates we've had on this issue. :)

As far as this forum goes, I am in the minority on this one, but I think that tortoise personality is influenced more based on how it was raised rather than what type of species it is. If you raise a leopard or sulcata and interact with it frequently, it is more likely to accept human interaction as it grows into adulthood. Of all the tortoises I have raised, I don't think I've had one that has been overly shy, regardless of the species, because I interact so much with them.

I think a lot of the bad rap leopards received are a result of observations of wild caught adults, and another part being...people see what they expect to see. As in, two people on opposite ends of this debate could observe the same tortoises in the same conditions and come to two different conclusions. Part of that is what interests people about tortoise personality is different between each person. I've had a lot of experience with both types, and while they do have distinct personalities, I like to generalize the sulcatas personality like a puppy and the leopard personality as like a mature dog. Both are good, but it depends on what you are looking for.

I have a young family, and have a lot of leopard tortoises that get a lot of love from my kids. When I go in the backyard, I can't keep the tortoises off of me. They love me! They are all captive bred tortoises that have great lives, and they let me know they're happy. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

For me, my older adult male leopard beats out the sulcata. Like was said, it depends upon the animal and the experiences it has had.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Both are extremely personable tortoises in my opinion. I like to compare sulcatas to a 1-3 year old dog that is extremely active and destructive and I like to compare leopards to an older dog that is more laid back and chill.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Both are extremely personable tortoises in my opinion. I like to compare sulcatas to a 1-3 year old dog that is extremely active and destructive and I like to compare leopards to an older dog that is more laid back and chill.

Hey, we use the same comparison! :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

Why not both if you have room and fund for it? It seems to me that both are interesting in their own way :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Neal said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Ha ha do we really?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Neal said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

That's scary:p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Yes, see my 3rd paragraph above. I've used it other times here as well.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

I like the leopards personality more in my keeping of both, for over 14 years. They both depict a good unique trait about each species. However I feel a leopard has a better personality more towards an easier "grow with kids" species. they grow a lot slower and show great aspects that(like Neal said) will unfold with the care and how much you repeat the human interaction between your family and the tortoise. Tortoises are creatures of habit so it can become accustomed to human presence, and whom feeds it.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida

As others have said, it comes down to the individual tortoise.

I have some relatively outgoing leopards and relatively shy sulcatas. Some of each in the opposite camps, too. One of my most bully-like animals is an extremely dense little female leopard. She will physically, Sumo-style, push (not ram or bite) around an Aldabra that is several times her size while the Aldabra just stares at her antics with its peaceful face atop its long neck (it is not at physical risk and the Aldabra's growth far outpaces the meatball of a leopard). I had a total food hog of an ivory sulcata female that now shares peacefully with various animals much smaller to much larger than herself, including some she had been dominant towards in the past. My keystone male ivory sulcata will not ram other males. He shows no aggression. I keep him with no other males, though, to avoid unnecessary tension. I have had much smaller males in the past who would try to go ten rounds with dog toys and random pieces of wood. My leopcata/hybrid is timid when you initially approach her from a distance, but quickly resumes going about her business and will interact with you once she realizes you are not going to cause her harm post-approach.

Like a box of chocolates.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Neal said:
Yes, see my 3rd paragraph above. I've used it other times here as well.
That's awesome! lol

So everyone if you disagree with Neal or myself on this subject then you are wrong!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona

I have never kept a sulcata, but believe all the good things I have heard about their personalities. My only relevant experience is with leopards. My 8 year old leopards are awesome! They come running when they see me in the yard. I don't assume it is because they love ME necessarily, but because they know I will most likely offer them something good to eat. They will run right up to me and try to climb up my legs if I don't give them their treat right away. I can't say anything negative about sullies, but in my opinion, it would be hard to find a better tortoise than a leopard.

Of course my Burmese stars are seeming to be at least as great as the leopards, in the 18 months that I have kept them, so that would be another option!

cesktw0

5 Year Member

All your comments have helped. Thank you! I'm sorry if this debate is a repeat, I am new to this site. Thanks again. Chelsea.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

cesktw0 said:
All your comments have helped. Thank you! I'm sorry if this debate is a repeat, I am new to this site. Thanks again. Chelsea.

No problem. We like the debates:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

It does depend on the individual and the experiences it has had in its life. That is for sure. I too have seen shy sulcatas and bold leopards, but this is not the norm in either case.

BUT... generally speaking sulcatas are much bolder and more outgoing in my experience. They are much more interested in human interaction than the typical leopard. Now go read sentence number one again... There ARE exceptions. If you randomly go to 100 leopard homes and 100 sulcata homes, a much larger percentage of the sulcatas are going to come running up to you than the leopards. Not saying that everyone above doesn't have personable leopards. I'm sure they do. I am saying that in general sulcatas are less shy.

To further complicate things... It also depends on which type of leopard you are talking about. The regular babcocki subspecies tends to be very shy. The much less common pardalis subspecies is often described as sulcata-like in personality. Most of the babcocki out there are mixes from several localities, mutts, if you will, and this muddies the waters substantially.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Tom said:
It does depend on the individual and the experiences it has had in its life. That is for sure. I too have seen shy sulcatas and bold leopards, but this is not the norm in either case.

BUT... generally speaking sulcatas are much bolder and more outgoing in my experience. They are much more interested in human interaction than the typical leopard. Now go read sentence number one again... There ARE exceptions. If you randomly go to 100 leopard homes and 100 sulcata homes, a much larger percentage of the sulcatas are going to come running up to you than the leopards. Not saying that everyone above doesn't have personable leopards. I'm sure they do. I am saying that in general sulcatas are less shy.

To further complicate things... It also depends on which type of leopard you are talking about. The regular babcocki subspecies tends to be very shy. The much less common pardalis subspecies is often described as sulcata-like in personality. Most of the babcocki out there are mixes from several localities, mutts, if you will, and this
muddies the waters substantially.

How dare you call my beautiful Tatum a mutt:p:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Haha. No way to really know if Tatum IS or ISN'T a "mutt". Doesn't really matter at this point. I like them all anyway.

Chelsea, you really can't go wrong either way. They are both great species. I think you will find it much easier to house and care for a leopard in the long run unless you have acreage somewhere in a Southern state and like caring for farm animals. I know your thread was more about personality, but the size and destructiveness of a sulcata might also become a factor for you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.