Pest Control Safety- Termites?

fangurley

Location (City and/or State)
Houston,TX
Im currently house hunting and the house I've liked the most in the last 3 years actually has active termites. The sellers are already getting it treated with bait stations. Of course Im concerned with my leopard tortoise's safety so Im wondering what I should do, my agent/mom is telling me that we'd have to leave the bait stations in and get regular treatment so they don't come back.

The yard is pretty large so I was wondering if I kept the tortoise pen a certain distance away from the stations would that be good? Maybe just remove the stations in the back yard? Build a pen so that outside dirt/plants don't get in?

I'd love some feedback from anyone that would be more knowledgeable. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Aren't the bait stations hidden inside the house where the termites are?

I've never heard of treating for termites in your house by leaving bait station outside in the yard.

fangurley

Houston,TX

I've never heard of treating for termites in your house by leaving bait station outside in the yard.
There are definitely some in the house but I was also given a map of where they are around the home. There are 23 surrounding the house. The paperwork only mentions bait stations so I don’t think it’s something else.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I've seen commercials where they "plant" some sort of subterranean gizmo that attracts and kills the termites. I wonder if you can contact the state's department of fish and wildlife and see if they can answer your questions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are definitely some in the house but I was also given a map of where they are around the home. There are 23 surrounding the house. The paperwork only mentions bait stations so I don’t think it’s something else.
Seems like the house could be tented while it is vacant, and termite control measures could be left inside the walls, attic, basement, etc..., rather than outside in the yard?

Termite treatment is certainly not my area of expertise, so I would defer to someone who knows more about it than I do, but I deal with pests quite a lot.

fangurley

Houston,TX
While looking up bait stations this morning I found this link on how they work.

It explains everything about bait stations and it says Hexaflumuron powder is used as the treatment. This link here is a PDF on Hexaflumuron. In the paper is states that Hexaflumuron does not penetrate or translocate into plant or fruit tissue and it has low mobility in the soil. Based on those two things I think "Tortimus Prime" should be safe : )

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would take absolutely no chances. Build your little little guy a secure outdoor enclosure with a tarpaulin as the base.

Oklahoma
FIRST SATURDAY LIME FIRST SATURDAY LIME FIRST SATURDAY LIME!!! It is better than all of the other pesticides. It is not any way harmful to your tortoise. Or even the bugs. It creates a border, and they won’t go over it. Just sprinkle it on or around the enclosure!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
FIRST SATURDAY LIME FIRST SATURDAY LIME FIRST SATURDAY LIME!!! It is better than all of the other pesticides. It is not any way harmful to your tortoise. Or even the bugs. It creates a border, and they won’t go over it. Just sprinkle it on or around the enclosure!
No. Not around my tortoise!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Food grade diatomaceous earth is probably the safest and works on a lot of things. Has to be food grade. Try to keep it out of reach of your tortoises but won't harm them if they did get into or near it.

Oklahoma
It is not a single but poisonous. FSL is for pets, and is practically edible. Don’t eat it on porpoise, but it can’t and won’t cause any harm.