Pet Sitter For Tortoises's In The UK

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good evening everyone.

I might be going away for night and was wondering whether anyone here has ever had a pet sitter for their tortoises's. I can't ask family because I don't get on with my brother although I may be able to get a friend to take Jacky and Daisy. When I'm out during the day Jacky and Daisy generally stay in the bathroom where there is no chance of them damaging electrics and I have generally come back and found them asleep.

MaNaAk

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use family, but there are tortoise hotels :) and neighbours occasionally help out. I understand many use tortoise hotels for brumation and outsource the process.

MaNaAk

Southend
I should have said it's for one night! Sorry I do tend to leave words out!

MaNaAk

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
For 1 night he is home alone, with fresh water and fresh food. I have cctv cameras so can watch remotely. I would not consider any longer alone. When I go into the Work office or a day out he is home alone as well. I normally remove anything that he could tumble on. Thankfully the tortoise flipping days are over

MaNaAk

Southend
I think they'll be okay as I remember pre-pandemic and in our old house when I was on holiday my neighbour looked in on the tortoises although they went in a couple of times a day. I will be leaving them with fresh food and water and then coming back the next day probably in the evening.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think they'll be okay as I remember pre-pandemic and in our old house when I was on holiday my neighbour looked in on the tortoises although they went in a couple of times a day. I will be leaving them with fresh food and water and then coming back the next day probably in the evening.

MaNaAk
I am sure they will be all right. If there were a pet-sitter for tortoises, you would have the risk of possible infection from other tortoises they were looking after. I also think anyone taking them for a night, even a friend, wouldd be more disruptive than leaving them alone - they will probably make a terrible mess of your bathroom, though !
Angie

MaNaAk

Southend
Thankyou Angie,

I'm sure they will be the trouble with me is that I was diagnosed with mild/moderate anxiety/depression a year after dad passed away and whilst I am much better now it flares up occasionally. Daisy's lump looks smaller and I must ask Jacky how she managed to move the bathroom scales without knocking it over.

MaNaAk

PS: They're enjoying a lovely sunny day out today.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think Daisy should be fine for a day, so long as she's been adequately fed and watered in the run-up to your absence.

I've left my tortoises for considerably longer periods with no ill effects... they're equipped to go for days or weeks without food without issue.

Jamie

MaNaAk

Southend
With their strawberries they should be fine. I was pleased to clear their mess yesterday because it showed that she was recovering from her constipation.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
With their strawberries they should be fine. I was pleased to clear their mess yesterday because it showed that she was recovering from her constipation.

MaNaAk
I understand very well about depression and anxiety, which have been a problem all my life - but your girls will be safe, they will have food - and water, if they don't tip it over - and each other for company.
Just make sure any alcoholic drinks are well out of their reach, so they can't have a wild party in your absence !!!
Angie xx

MaNaAk

Southend
My anxiety started when I cared for dad with Alzheimers but then I seemed to adjust before it came back again. I hope you're okay now Angie I don't think the girls will have a party but I have noticed Jacky getting as close to the food as possible and making a grab at Daisy's share. Now that I've cottoned she won't be able to do this quite so much!

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My anxiety started when I cared for dad with Alzheimers but then I seemed to adjust before it came back again. I hope you're okay now Angie I don't think the girls will have a party but I have noticed Jacky getting as close to the food as possible and making a grab at Daisy's share. Now that I've cottoned she won't be able to do this quite so much!

MaNaAk
When are you going away ? I hope it is for a nice reason.
We take Zola on the very rare occasions that we go away - he has a specially made wicker basket with a lid, and a layer of towels, so we can carry him discreetly into the place where we are staying. He can sleep in that, and I have lots of food for him in an insulated box. During the day, obviously, he would be out with us, so life would be much as usual. He does find it a bit confusing, though, and is glad to be back home again. We have only done this 3 times, over 21 years.
I have had problems with anxiety and depression all my life, even as a child - Richard is very kind and helpful - and having Zola has given me a lot of reassurance - he is usually so happy, and it gives me confidence.
Angie xx

MaNaAk

Southend
When are you going away ? I hope it is for a nice reason.
We take Zola on the very rare occasions that we go away - he has a specially made wicker basket with a lid, and a layer of towels, so we can carry him discreetly into the place where we are staying. He can sleep in that, and I have lots of food for him in an insulated box. During the day, obviously, he would be out with us, so life would be much as usual. He does find it a bit confusing, though, and is glad to be back home again. We have only done this 3 times, over 21 years.
I have had problems with anxiety and depression all my life, even as a child - Richard is very kind and helpful - and having Zola has given me a lot of reassurance - he is usually so happy, and it gives me confidence.
Angie xx
It still seems to be up in the air but it could be Friday, Saturday or Sunday of this week and we are supposed to be meeting in Leicester. An old family friend from Malaysia is staying with her sister in Burnley and we thought about meeting halfway. I was asked about going to Burnley as they couldn't come here but as I work as well I needed more notice. I am a self-employed music teacher and I can rearrange my private pupils. Also Burnley is a bit far for one night and I felt that I would have needed more time to sort out the girls. That said the reptile shop and my friend that took them in when I moved last year probably would have taken them but they would need some notice. Anyway Daisy's lump is definitely looking smaller and I will make sure that they have plenty of food and water (a good soak would do them good). I will also bear in mind Jacky's latest trick.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
It still seems to be up in the air but it could be Friday, Saturday or Sunday of this week and we are supposed to be meeting in Leicester. An old family friend from Malaysia is staying with her sister in Burnley and we thought about meeting halfway. I was asked about going to Burnley as they couldn't come here but as I work as well I needed more notice. I am a self-employed music teacher and I can rearrange my private pupils. Also Burnley is a bit far for one night and I felt that I would have needed more time to sort out the girls. That said the reptile shop and my friend that took them in when I moved last year probably would have taken them but they would need some notice. Anyway Daisy's lump is definitely looking smaller and I will make sure that they have plenty of food and water (a good soak would do them good). I will also bear in mind Jacky's latest trick.

MaNaAk
It will be lovely to see your friend again - I hope you will have a happy time with her It is also good news about Daisy's lump - even if Jacky manages to get a bit of Daisy's food in your absence, I'm sure you will be able to make it up to her later.
Angie xx

MaNaAk

Southend
It will be lovely to see your friend again - I hope you will have a happy time with her It is also good news about Daisy's lump - even if Jacky manages to get a bit of Daisy's food in your absence, I'm sure you will be able to make it up to her later.
Angie xx
She fights back over the strawberries!

MaNaAk

PS: Zola is in bed now

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sorry I meant is Zola in bed now?

Natrah
Yes,wrapped in his sleeping towel. He has various layers under him, including some lamb fleece, and he is generally in the same place every morning.He has had a rather quiet day, as he didn't get a proper walk - his dad had to cut a hedge. I expect he will get one tomorrow.
Good night to the three of you
Angie xxx

janed100

5 Year Member
near Cambridge, UK
Oh gosh - I'm not sure what species of tortoise you have, but do you know that fruit is a no-no for most of the tortoises that we have here in the UK. Their digestive systems are not adequate to deal with fruit. Don't panic though. Just stop feeding fruit. I imagine the odd half strawberry maybe once in 3 months wouldn't hurt if you want to do it.......but weeds, weeds, weeds is the way to go.

I hope you manage to leave your torts safely and enjoy your night away.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
When I'm out during the day Jacky and Daisy generally stay in the bathroom where there is no chance of them damaging electrics and I have generally come back and found them asleep.
Circling back to this portion of your original message... torts generally don't do well free-roaming indoors; they eat things they shouldn't and most of the time the environmental conditions in our homes are not the same as the ones that our torts need for sustained health.

They do better in a dedicated enclosure.

Something to consider.

Jamie

MaNaAk

Southend
Circling back to this portion of your original message... torts generally don't do well free-roaming indoors; they eat things they shouldn't and most of the time the environmental conditions in our homes are not the same as the ones that our torts need for sustained health.

They do better in a dedicated enclosure.

Something to consider.

Jamie
They spend at least six hours outdoors on some days and ten hours on other days. It's not ideal as I am in a flat and I will be getting a new enclosure for Daisy anyway. Thankyou Jamie.

MaNaAk