Pet Store Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Ugh...I really hate pet stores.

Our LPS is better than most pet stores, but they're by no means the best either. They take fairly good care of the more common stuff (RES, cornsnakes, ball pythons, bearded dragons, leopard geckos, etc), but many times, they're behind the times when it comes to not-so-mainstream species. Coupled with the typical complaints most herpers have with pet stores (high retail prices, ignorant staff that often gives innaccurate info to customers, etc)...its pretty frustrating to go in there.

Such as the case with the baby red-foots I saw in there last night. They had them on a mixture of aspen shavings and repti-bark, and Lord knows what they were feeding them. I have a friend who works there who actually knows she's doing, but she only works 3 days a week, so its not like she has a lot of pull. I pointed out that the RFs need to be on a substrate more humid-retentive. She said she knows but the animal care manager thinks they don't.

I actually used to work at this LPS for almost 10 yrs, so there's a bit of history there. I left on good terms, but its not exactly a secret I didn't agree with the direction the small animal/reptile dept was headed. Long story short, a lot of the manager staff there are idiots (as are with most jobs) and nothing is going to change.

[sigh] I just wish people wouldn't be so darn pig-headed sometimes. Through our local herp society, I have offered to come and help teach their staff about reptile husbandry, lighting, heating, etc. since there's always new things to be learned. They don't want to learn. They think they do everything right already and there is no need for improvement.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well while it is bad at the pet stores, the worst part is when they pass on bad info to the new owner.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
What a store sells has a lot to do with the substrate they keep their animals on.I stopped at a store that had a young redfoot,It spent all day on calci sand with a small water bowl.I suggested cypress mulch and his response was that he sold the sand, and wanted it seen being used in enclosure's,I suggested he start selling mulch also. This was a mostly fish and aquarium store with just a few reptiles. Len

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
??Len?? said:
What a store sells has a lot to do with the substrate they keep their animals on.

Indeed. They're always complaining about how much money the dept hemorrages each month (mostly bedding and food). When I worked there, I always tried to present ideas to help (one being using cheap cypress mulch from Lowe's as opposed to the pricey stuff on their own shelf), but they won't have it.

They also still sell heat rocks and those kidney-shaped baby turtle death traps, too. That really irks me as well. The owner himself tells me he doesn't like the products either, but people still buy them, so he keeps ordering them. I often resist the urge to hit him, and argue that maybe people wouldn't buy them if he wouldn't order them...and fewer reptiles would die from faulty products. But he never sees it that way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That owner sounds like a real winner. Anyone still wonder why those coil bulbs are in every pet store in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.