Petco/PetSmart and selling CH

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So I've noticed that PetCo and PetSmart always sell RFs as CH RFs... Now I've never owned a CH, so I'm not as familiar with one up close and real (only in pictures), but they don't usually look like actual CHs to me... Is that just me or has anyone else noticed that? Just a marketing ploy? Or they don't actually know the difference? Or are they CHs?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I wish my local petsmart/petco would get a red--or a Greek! All we ever have is Russians.

Its probably a marketing thing, I would guess. "Cherry" sounds more appealing than just plain old "red" The same way "Golden" sells more Greeks. :D

At first I thought you were talking CH as Captive hatched! :p

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
I actually got Themistocles from PetSmart and the people I talked to there just referred to her as a Redfoot. She's definitely not a cherry head. I'm not sure that they would have really known the difference, but they didn't try to "pass her off" as a cherry head.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My local petco has had a CH I took it to mean Captive hatched, not cherry head myself for about a year or so then it was gone and no one could tell me what happened to it but they had it for like around 100$ It was just above 4 inch legal size, maybe 5 inches but it was kept in horrible conditions.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Sorry, I should have just spelled out Cherry Head... I only know CB and WC, I didn't know that CH was an acronym too (thought I was starting something here ;) )!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I may be wrong but captive hatched usually means where they collect the females and gather the egss and then release the females back into the wild. They were doing that with ball pythons about ten or 15 years ago.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I actually work at a Petsmart and yes, we did carry red foots, thats where I got Gretta but now that I took her home, we have decided to no longer carry red foots because of their specific humidity requirements. We have a difficult time keeping the humidity high enough so we decided that is is better not to carry them. The only tortoises we have on hand are either greeks or russians, which I beleive are easier to take care of.

muddled

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I used to work at Petco and even though a lot of stores carry redfoots, I wouldn't take their word for them being cherryheads. The seller who sales reptiles to the stores really don't have any way to verify each animal's strains, and not to mention employees get confused and mislabel animals pretty often.

Status
Not open for further replies.