Petco Tortoise

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Griffith Indiana
Silly me purchased a red foot from Petco on black Friday. He is strong and somewhat active. He doesn't eat much and his poop is whitish/solid food. He will nibble on melon or mazuri. That is it. Parasites? Any help? I have 5 very healthy red foots that are separately housed. Help!!! Chicago

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would take him to the vet and have fecals done . Petco's tortoises are wild caught most of the time .

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Wrong. Redfoots Petco sells are farm raised, not wild caught. the Russians and Greeks are wild caught.

It probably does have parasites, take him to the vet! Since it's way past the 15 health guarantee they won't pay for him to see the vet.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Fecals can run from $15-60 and most vets do not require a visit unless they find parasites. I would bring in a fecal (the fresher, the better!) and if they don't find something the first time, bring in another. Parasites aren't always passed with every bowel movement.

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Griffith Indiana
Took lil guy to Vet. He had a ton of parasites. Gave me a home remedy called Menodialuze. Im sure I butchered the name. Looks like flagyl? How long should this take? Vet thinks a few weeks. Thanks

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Any competent vet should provide you a prescription for your tortoise if it has a heavy parasite load. Furthermore, the vet should have provided you dosage information, the simplest of which would be the duration of treatment. I'm not impressed and would recommend a different vet.

What parasites were present from the fecal(s)?