Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, but maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't agree with this.

I would be devastated if people got up a petition to take my animals away from me. Wouldn't it be much better to try to reason with him and get him to improve Harry's living conditions?

Jan A

Boulder, CO

I would be devastated if people got up a petition to take my animals away from me. Wouldn't it be much better to try to reason with him and get him to improve Harry's living conditions?
Well, we've all seen animals living in unsatisfactory conditions in zoos, other pet stores, schools & the like. I see both sides. I guess you follow your passions & use your energy on what's effective. By now, the pet store and/or the Chief Exec is aware of Harry's inadequate living situation & nothing's changed. I guess I just argued myself into signing the petition.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

We educate and come just short of demanding better care of newbie members. What is the difference? To see this and think it's okay, and then tell a forum member that their 4x4 enclosure is too small for a Russian is hypocritical!
In fact, if anyone, specially on this forum, thinks this sulcatas conditions are okay, then they should never criticize a members anything!
Signing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If this was only a day time home, while the store was opened, and he had a proper enclosure for after hours, it could be understood and left alone.
So far I haven't heard where that's the case. This tortoise isn't even given the minimal of an effort. No decent substrate, improper food and water bowls, if I remember right, no hide to get away from the customers.
Nothing right about this at all!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not signing! And would start a petition to keep harry with his fam he has known his entire life
Be mindful then of what you tell members joining the forum and have too small of an enclosure.
Think about that! It's fine for this one but not for others?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw people. This isn't a dog. This tortoise couldn't care less who the owner is.
The attachment is to whoever will bring it food. They may recognize certain people more then others, but they don't get home sick/depressed by the person being different, it's the surroundings.
This tort would be very happy getting a proper home.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If Harrys owner released him today, where's he going? What accommodations have been set up for him? I need to know he's going somewhere where he will be taken care of before I'll sign.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be mindful then of what you tell members joining the forum and have too small of an enclosure.
Think about that! It's fine for this one but not for others?
Barb: It's one thing to try to educate a newbie, but then if you found out they didn't take your advice would you get up a petition to take the animal away from them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Barb: It's one thing to try to educate a newbie, but then if you found out they didn't take your advice would you get up a petition to take the animal away from them?
Yes, if I thought the tortoise or any animal was neglected or abused, yes, I would do what was needed to protect the animal! In most cases, with more common animals, where the authorities are better educated on the animals needs, it wouldn't go as far as needing a petition.
This person is selling and educating, poorly, his customers and not even trying to better the life of this tortoise as it seems nothing has changed. He has had several years of chances according to the other thread.
Yes, I will do what is needed to save the animal and dont give a crap about the abusive, neglectful human. I thought most animal lovers would.
Btw, I don't judge animal abuse or neglect just on my opinion. There are common sense and common knowledge and laws, that all plays a role in judging abuse or neglect.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the SPCA is ok with Harry's care and will only intervene if there's a bunch of signatures on a petition, then there must not be too much wrong with the way Harry lives.

@Peachie : This pet store is in Pennsylvania and you're in New Jersey. Why are you even involved? You've made 25 posts here on the Forum and all of them sound like you're trying to wind us up to get involved in Harry's care. If the SPCA is ok with the way he lives, then so am I.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Peachie
To put suspicions to rest, please give more details on this whole situation.
How you from NJ is involved with a place in PA.
Why SPCA, is okay with his care or aren't they and why?
Why hasn't SPCA or any other animal welfare stepped in?
Has anyone actually talked to owners or employees to determine if this is his only home?
Give details and proof if possible.
Has any changes been made at all?

I understand the pictures tells the sad story but obviously some don't get it, that that's no way for a large sulcata too live!

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ
If the SPCA is ok with Harry's care and will only intervene if there's a bunch of signatures on a petition, then there must not be too much wrong with the way Harry lives.

@Peachie : This pet store is in Pennsylvania and you're in New Jersey. Why are you even involved? You've made 25 posts here on the Forum and all of them sound like you're trying to wind us up to get involved in Harry's care. If the SPCA is ok with the way he lives, then so am I.
Yvonne, The SPCA wants Harry out of the pet store! They told the store that they have to improve his habitat and so far they haven't and they have been told this for YEARS. Pennsylvania law doesn't protect non-native reptiles! The only way to get Harry to improve his life is for the public to demand they relinquish him to a home or rescue that actually wants Harry to have a great life. So sign the petition, please! In fact, the SPCA wants all of the Pets Plus Natural stores to shut down! They abuse more than Harry.

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ

I live across the Delaware river from Pennsylvania. The SPCA is NOT ok with Harry's confinement at Pets Plus Natural at all! The SPCA wants all of Pets Plus Natural stores shut down too!

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ
@Peachie
To put suspicions to rest, please give more details on this whole situation.
How you from NJ is involved with a place in PA.
Why SPCA, is okay with his care or aren't they and why?
Why hasn't SPCA or any other animal welfare stepped in?
Has anyone actually talked to owners or employees to determine if this is his only home?
Give details and proof if possible.
Has any changes been made at all?

I understand the pictures tells the sad story but obviously some don't get it, that that's no way for a large sulcata too live!
NJ is right across the river from PA.
The SPCA has for years wanted Harry out of the store and all of the Pets Plus Natural stores shut down.
PA law doesn't protect non-native reptiles.
The store ignores all that are concerned about Harry. Yes, many have tried to reason with the owners.
No changes have been made.
Call the Bucks County SPCA in Lahaska, PA for proof.

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ
If Harrys owner released him today, where's he going? What accommodations have been set up for him? I need to know he's going somewhere where he will be taken care of before I'll sign.
First of all we need the store to agree to relinquish Harry. So far they haven't. There is a rescue that has reached out to Harry so far. They are ready to receive him. I am in touch with the American Tortoise Rescue also for guidance. The SPCA is also involved with Harry's future. Please sign!

Status
Not open for further replies.