Petition to Free Harry The Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
Not signing! And would start a petition to keep harry with his fam he has known his entire life
How about he get better care? Is it really too much to ask a pet store to take better care of an animal they're not selling? This is so close to Snoopy'sMom's sulcata at the school situation.

I do see both sides. No one is going to remove this sulcata. But he needs better care.

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ
Apparently it is too much for the store to take care of Harry! I have been there and have seen Harry. I do believe that Harry will get a better life. But it takes a big push from the public. The locals need to stop shopping at this store and their other stores too. In PA, Harry must be outdoors especially during the warm months. For 27 years Harry has not been outside to live a healthy life.

Melymann

Michigan
Maybe someone should appeal to this pet store to use Harry’s habitat to sell their products. From a purely business standpoint this owner is missing a decades long marketing opportunity!! Duh.

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ
There are no habitat supplies used in Harry's enclosure to sell except for lights or heat lamps. They don't care about Harry at all.

teemo

Texas
I think I am done with this forum. I've owned my sulcata for over 22 years now and I take care of him to the best of my ability. I would never have the audacity to go after someone in another state based on second hand information. This stinks of Sanctimonious White Knight behavior. Take care of yourself and the community you live in first - the rest of the world when you have that under control. You're outraged? How bout going and pitching in at the local homeless shelter? How bout tutoring or being a big brother/sister? Dog shelter nearby - go help there! So many things you COULD do but would rather sit at your keyboard and scream in the wind. Oh, and for all the quoting of SPCA - those guys have done some pretty horrendous things as well - I wouldn't go by anything they have to say based on their history.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
We educate and come just short of demanding better care of newbie members. What is the difference? To see this and think it's okay, and then tell a forum member that their 4x4 enclosure is too small for a Russian is hypocritical!
In fact, if anyone, specially on this forum, thinks this sulcatas conditions are okay, then they should never criticize a members anything!
Signing.
What are the conditions Harry is being kept in? I can find any citations showing the problem, just articles that allude to a "problem".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I am done with this forum. I've owned my sulcata for over 22 years now and I take care of him to the best of my ability. I would never have the audacity to go after someone in another state based on second hand information. This stinks of Sanctimonious White Knight behavior. Take care of yourself and the community you live in first - the rest of the world when you have that under control. You're outraged? How bout going and pitching in at the local homeless shelter? How bout tutoring or being a big brother/sister? Dog shelter nearby - go help there! So many things you COULD do but would rather sit at your keyboard and scream in the wind. Oh, and for all the quoting of SPCA - those guys have done some pretty horrendous things as well - I wouldn't go by anything they have to say based on their history.
Please don't paint us all with the same brush. Everyone here is allowed to have their own opinion, and we don't try to make all members conform. Stick around. We want you and need you here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Before I tried to take the tortoise I would ask to be allowed to purchase supplies from their store and improve Harry's living conditions. Several bags of Reptibark, a garbage can lid for water, the top of the largest size dog crate for a hide, a palm tree in a pot, and if he doesn't sell that stuff, he can order it at my expense. Then I would volunteer to come daily and pick up poop, change water and feed Harry. I'd let the owner know that he would sell all these same products if he'd allow his customers to see how they improve the tortoise's living conditions.

I would also print off a bunch of care sheets and show him that if he passed them out to his customers they might buy supplies at his store.

We've all seen the picture, but we have to take a third party's word for it about the owner's side of the story.

I'm hesitant to take anyone's tortoise away from them, especially one that looks as good as Harry does.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seems a tortoise being housed in poorly conditions is good enough for you. Why should people only help humans or dogs and cats?
This OP person btw, has first hand knowledge of the conditions as they visit this store. The OP is not the only person that has tried to get help for this tort. People have talked to the rich owner, with enough room at his own big home to give this tort a better living, but so far hasn't improved anything. Too many people though, with the same type mentality as you, prevents an exotic to have the same care and concerns that laws provide for others in this particular area.

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ
Before I tried to take the tortoise I would ask to be allowed to purchase supplies from their store and improve Harry's living conditions. Several bags of Reptibark, a garbage can lid for water, the top of the largest size dog crate for a hide, a palm tree in a pot, and if he doesn't sell that stuff, he can order it at my expense. Then I would volunteer to come daily and pick up poop, change water and feed Harry. I'd let the owner know that he would sell all these same products if he'd allow his customers to see how they improve the tortoise's living conditions.

I would also print off a bunch of care sheets and show him that if he passed them out to his customers they might buy supplies at his store.

We've all seen the picture, but we have to take a third party's word for it about the owner's side of the story.

I'm hesitant to take anyone's tortoise away from them, especially one that looks as good as Harry does.
The guy who owns the pet store has multiple stores and lives in a McMansion. He has the resources. He doesn't give a **** about Harry. Why are you defending the store? Harry looks like **** too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please don't paint us all with the same brush. Everyone here is allowed to have their own opinion, and we don't try to make all members conform. Stick around. We want you and need you here!
Seriously! This was their only post.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The guy who owns the pet store has multiple stores and lives in a McMansion. He has the resources. He doesn't give a **** about Harry. Why are you defending the store? Harry looks like **** too.
I don't understand the members defending the store either. The picture alone is worth a thousand words!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
You are a legend in your own mind.

teemo

Texas
Seriously! This was their only post.
I waited - a couple hours only it seems - to see the reaction to my post. YOUR'S says it all, Wellington. I was right with the word sanctimonious. How many posts does it take for someone to be allowed an opinion by YOU? Not only do you apparently sit in judgement of people you don't know anything about but your reading comprehension is now in question as well:

"Seems a tortoise being housed in poorly conditions is good enough for you. Why should people only help humans or dogs and cats?"

I DID NOT say people should ONLY help ANYTHING. I gave examples of things that are in EVERY location that someone who actually cares about making the world a better place can put their resources and efforts into. If turtle sanctuaries were common enough I'd include them as well. Someone in that area that wants to do something - knock yourself out! I live a thousand plus miles away, the acts of charity I do are within my abilities. This isn't my fight and at this point I wouldn't trust YOUR opinion on anything seeing as how you can't read and you judge people you definitely do not know. The hubris you exhibit boggles the mind.

In the end I really doubt a petition will do anything and if you push it past that you may find yourself with legal action in response. I guess it depends on how tolerant the owner of this business is with your intrusions, and I am sorry to tell you - you are intruding. And legally, that doesn't have anything to do with this tortoise or its keeping. So what are you going to do if this man who is as evil as you would portray him just outright ignores your petition?

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Status
Not open for further replies.