Petsmart tortoise complete recovery

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
I got so much help here on the tortoise forum back in March and April when our tortoise Crystal, adopted from Petsmart, became very ill 2 weeks after coming home. I just want to tell everyone how well things turned out once his apparent bowel obstruction had cleared!

He has grown a good deal since then -- did some shedding and also a ring of new growth is evident on his shell. He is so much stronger-- when we got him I ignorantly thought it was normal for them to kind of drag themselves around, but now he has strong legs that can lift the weight of his body off the ground when he walks! He used to pass a lot of urates when we first got him and now it's rare to never.

I hate to think of what his life was like at Petsmart and wherever he was before. :(

Over the summer we were able to take him out in the backyard to roam and graze, supervised, on weekends, although he still eats mainly a variety of tortoise-healthy grocery store greens.

I think now that he's healthier he's less happy with his glass tank (tries to climb out), but I don't know how soon we'll get a different setup because it took a long time to get the temps right in there for the New England winter, and I want to make sure we can keep him healthy for the coming season before I start messing around.

Special heartfelt thanks to
@mikeh :), @ascott, @maggie3fan, @Dorrie Siu, @LoutheRussian , @lismar79, @Nolan1992, @Jen Rosell, @Yvonne G, @sibi, @leigti, @marcy4hope,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 74

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah - a happy ending. I still think you should try to make enclosure larger now that things are good. It's a long winter to stay in a too small of area, especially since he's raring to go now! That said, nice going :)

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
Yeah - a happy ending. I still think you should try to make enclosure larger now that things are good. It's a long winter to stay in a too small of area, especially since he's raring to go now! That said, nice going :)
Thanks. I think it's not so much the size, although bigger would be better. It's the glass confusing him and making him think he can get out (although I have a lot of painter's tape on there to make it opaque at eye level). Keeping in the heat would be a new problem with a different style enclosure though (like a nice big plastic tub).

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
S/he looks fantastic! You did a great job.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
HOORAY!!! I'm always sad when I hear pet store stories that go bad, so its good to hear this ended well!! I don't recall reading your original posts, but this is such a happy occasion! :) clearly he's lucky he found you!