Petsmart ..

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
I think every tortoise owner should see this .. ImageUploadedByTortForum1385780820.747979.jpg
Look how small the tank is for that Testudo tortoise ! He cant even walk around ! That water dish is very high ! Pellets ?!?! Why do they give him a diet of pellets ?! I be the doesnt even eat ! How cruel ! I didnt want to tell at a worker because I am quite shy but I was so angry and sad ! :( my mom tried to tell me that they were just doing this to sell him .. she doesn't know what she's talking about . That tortoise had no access to a UVB light , heat lamp , or fresh greens ! I feel so ashamed in myself that i didnt do anything about this .. I wont be able to sleep knowing that i didnt try my best to help him by telling the worker . I know they wouldn't have listened anyways but i feel so horrible . I've never even seen Petsmart sell a tortoise before so why should they start ?! They also had geckos and lizards in the same conditions , pellets , tiny enclosures , etc . :(

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Ah honey, it is rough when we see this stuff....but lets try to see some other stuff...remember, a tort in a new environment won't generally eat straight off (so lets hope this one has not been here too long)...the pellets (aka; fruity pebbles) are not horrific just the tort likely does not associate them with actual food....from what I can see of his little back leg, he has some meat on him so he should fare alright for a bit...

Usually the tanks are heated and usually the bulbs are uv rays as well....so he is likely going to be aok in that area....and if he was too cold he would be hunkered down and not looking for a way out, at least as it appears....

Keep in mind that most of these torts are wild caught....so he has been through a heck of a trip to arrive here....and while he is no longer in the wild---I bet that enclosure you are looking at still is a huge improvement over the conditions he endured from wild to tank....so, while I absolutely agree--this is not ideal conditions...it is what is used in a store for profit set up....

The best thing you can do, is go to the store manager and request information from your checklist of questions, and hey---don't be shy about getting to the bottom of something---even if you need to call and adult to the carpet to acquire that info....you can absolutely do it---only takes a moment in time to muster the words and less than that to let them spew out....:D Also, if the person tries to shut you down....remember you are there spending your and your Parents money---so you can be a bit assertive....;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Speak up. They need to hear it from a multitude of people. The food could be better, but my real problem is that water bowl. They are tortoise death traps. The rest of it I can live with as a quick temporary set up.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The problem is, Tom, they don't have any bowls suitable for this tort. They only put in those tanks what they have available in the store. I'd like to buy a bunch of planter dishes and offer it as a gift to all the pet stores that do this!

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Ah honey, it is rough when we see this stuff....but lets try to see some other stuff...remember, a tort in a new environment won't generally eat straight off (so lets hope this one has not been here too long)...the pellets (aka; fruity pebbles) are not horrific just the tort likely does not associate them with actual food....from what I can see of his little back leg, he has some meat on him so he should fare alright for a bit...

Usually the tanks are heated and usually the bulbs are uv rays as well....so he is likely going to be aok in that area....and if he was too cold he would be hunkered down and not looking for a way out, at least as it appears....

Keep in mind that most of these torts are wild caught....so he has been through a heck of a trip to arrive here....and while he is no longer in the wild---I bet that enclosure you are looking at still is a huge improvement over the conditions he endured from wild to tank....so, while I absolutely agree--this is not ideal conditions...it is what is used in a store for profit set up....

The best thing you can do, is go to the store manager and request information from your checklist of questions, and hey---don't be shy about getting to the bottom of something---even if you need to call and adult to the carpet to acquire that info....you can absolutely do it---only takes a moment in time to muster the words and less than that to let them spew out....:D Also, if the person tries to shut you down....remember you are there spending your and your Parents money---so you can be a bit assertive....;)

Thanks for making me feel a lot better !

Tom said:
Speak up. They need to hear it from a multitude of people. The food could be better, but my real problem is that water bowl. They are tortoise death traps. The rest of it I can live with as a quick temporary set up.

Thats what I was thinking ! They have a whole selection of different tortoise bowls that would be WAY better then that one ..

sibi said:
The problem is, Tom, they don't have any bowls suitable for this tort. They only put in those tanks what they have available in the store. I'd like to buy a bunch of planter dishes and offer it as a gift to all the pet stores that do this!

If want to do that too haha ! But actually , in the reptile isle , there was a few bowls that would be better then that so that makes me more upset that they couldn't put a better one in there :(

Tom said:

When I was actually at the store , i actually said out loud that i didnt even think he can get in the water dish and some people just like looked at me with kind of an "agreement look" haha :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'd be willing to bet money, that Russian could climb into the waterbowl if it wanted to... and then get out of it. While this setup is not idea in our minds, for a temp setup it works and is better then many Russians out there are currently living in. :( I see nothing cruel in that picture, sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Jacqui on this. The store is in business to make money and sell things. They can't set up the animals in a habitat like you at home would set him up in. They have space constraints. Also, it makes sense to use the items that they sell in the store to present the animal. They don't plan to keep these animals for any length of time, and keeping that tortoise in a small habitat like that for a week or so really isn't a hardship on the animal.

The best thing you can do is print out a good care sheet, run off a few copies, and take them to the store manager, asking him if he would be so kind as to give each buyer of a tortoise one of the care sheets.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The problem with that is they are giving the buyer the wrong idea on how to keep the tort. A bowl like that can drown a tort if he flips over.
Yvonne G said:
I agree with Jacqui on this. The store is in business to make money and sell things. They can't set up the animals in a habitat like you at home would set him up in. They have space constraints. Also, it makes sense to use the items that they sell in the store to present the animal. They don't plan to keep these animals for any length of time, and keeping that tortoise in a small habitat like that for a week or so really isn't a hardship on the animal.

The best thing you can do is print out a good care sheet, run off a few copies, and take them to the store manager, asking him if he would be so kind as to give each buyer of a tortoise one of the care sheets.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sibi said:
The problem with that is they are giving the buyer the wrong idea on how to keep the tort. A bowl like that can drown a tort if he flips over.

A baby might, but that is an adult tortoise. A WC not doubt who if he was lacking the common sense to get himself out of that bowl IF he would flip over, would have died in the wild a long time ago.

Sibi, a buyer has to take some responsibility to realize that how they look in a pet store is not how they should look at home. That is like saying folks who are selling tortoises on here should not be showing a bunch of hatchlings in a empty tub.

25qqkhl.jpg

(No, I am not saying that breeders should not be showing their hatchlings in such a fashion, just playing Devil's advocate here).

This would have also been a great time for folks to put up flyers on the boards at these stores and perhaps ads in Craig's list, ect letting folks know about this forum or just you yourself being ready to give them information and help. I know Cowboy Ken has done the Craig's list thing in the past. Get to know the local sales folks and make sure they know your willing to give help. Educate those buyers.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Agreed. And the tort isn't a baby, but it can still flip in that ki d of a bowl. Yes, the store will try a d sell their products to go along with the tort, but, out of all the different bowls they ha e to offer, this one is one of the most expensive. They aren't concerned with the safety of this tort; they want you to buy their most expensive bowl. That's why they display it in the tank. I'm not against a comps y trying to make a profit; just the ones that don't really care about the health and safety of the animals in their care.
Jacqui said:
sibi said:

A baby might, but that is an adult tortoise. A WC not doubt who if he was lacking the common sense to get himself out of that bowl IF he would flip over, would have died in the wild a long time ago.

Sibi, a buyer has to take some responsibility to realize that how they look in a pet store is not how they should look at home. That is like saying folks who are selling tortoises on here should not be showing a bunch of hatchlings in a empty tub.

25qqkhl.jpg

(No, I am not saying that breeders should not be showing their hatchlings in such a fashion, just playing Devil's advocate here).

This would have also been a great time for folks to put up flyers on the boards at these stores and perhaps ads in Craig's list, ect letting folks know about this forum or just you yourself being ready to give them information and help. I know Cowboy Ken has done the Craig's list thing in the past. Get to know the local sales folks and make sure they know your willing to give help. Educate those buyers.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Well said, Jacqui.

My problem with Petco and other large stores is they have high turnover and few employees really know much. I was there yesterday, supporting my Hermit crab obsession (50% off!!!) and a customer asked a random sales associate how to stop his dog from pulling. I shoulda put money on it because, sure enough, he instructed the customer to buy a freaking harness. Uh....come ON people!!! What do sled dogs use? Horses and carriages? Not one mention of behavior, basic obedience training, offering their crappy training courses, just hand him a basic harness and walked away. Super.

At least when I go, like yesterday, I picked out two lovely Hermies, asked a few polite questions, made a nice comment that those painted shells are toxic, to which the associate was interested and asked more, so I suggested he check out a hermit crab forum with lots of simple care instructions.

I've done the same with Betta...referred to my very favorite forum. And I circulate posts on local Facebook groups to encourage people to find TFO. Never thought of a CL post...Ken needs to "git er done" again. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

And I agree, people need to do their own research, but just as I was recently tarred and feathered for my fun and humorous thread about my big Oliver and his living room arrangements, I was harassed and lectured publicly for and privately for days and days that I was setting a bad example and new keepers will think it's ok (despite my continuous claim this was not ideal and was temporary)....Petco is setting an even worse example....while I was one small person, clearly stating non-ideal/temp conditions, Petco is a HUGE corporation and the general public looks to them for expert advice.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sibi said:
Agreed. And the tort isn't a baby, but it can still flip in that ki d of a bowl.

Yes and we have had some hatchlings flip in plant saucers too. :( I am not saying the bowl they are using is the best, but it does work in this situation. I agree no doubt it is their most expensive one, that's just simple logic that a store should always display it's most expensive items to get folks to impluse buy them. I believe I have a bowl like that one even, I used it for a snake years back. :p :D

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I'd be willing to bet money, that Russian could climb into the waterbowl if it wanted to... and then get out of it. While this setup is not idea in our minds, for a temp setup it works and is better then many Russians out there are currently living in. :( I see nothing cruel in that picture, sorry.

Its a Testudo tortoise but actually it could drown in the bowl

Yvonne G said:

This is true but they could have used a better water dish or something , like Tom said "its a death trap"

sibi said:
Yvonne G said:

I agree with you

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ashley_Sheldon said:
Jacqui said:

I stand corrected on what it is (IF that's not a Russian Testudo horsfieldii), but I in no way believe that tortoise will drown in that dish.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
sibi said:

25qqkhl.jpg

Well this specific tortoise only gets up to about 8 inches (thats what it said on the labels) so i think he might be quite young

sibi said:
Agreed. And the tort isn't a baby, but it can still flip in that ki d of a bowl. Yes, the store will try a d sell their products to go along with the tort, but, out of all the different bowls they ha e to offer, this one is one of the most expensive. They aren't concerned with the safety of this tort; they want you to buy their most expensive bowl. That's why they display it in the tank. I'm not against a comps y trying to make a profit; just the ones that don't really care about the health and safety of the animals in their care.
Jacqui said:
sibi said:

25qqkhl.jpg

I agree with this a lot and whats even more hazardous , the tortoise isnt even a baby . The Testudo tortoise only gets up to 8 inches (said that in the label) :( so it's quite young

Sulcata_Sandy said:
Well said, Jacqui.

My problem with Petco and other large stores is they have high turnover and few employees really know much. I was there yesterday, supporting my Hermit crab obsession (50% off!!!) and a customer asked a random sales associate how to stop his dog from pulling. I shoulda put money on it because, sure enough, he instructed the customer to buy a freaking harness. Uh....come ON people!!! What do sled dogs use? Horses and carriages? Not one mention of behavior, basic obedience training, offering their crappy training courses, just hand him a basic harness and walked away. Super.

At least when I go, like yesterday, I picked out two lovely Hermies, asked a few polite questions, made a nice comment that those painted shells are toxic, to which the associate was interested and asked more, so I suggested he check out a hermit crab forum with lots of simple care instructions.

I've done the same with Betta...referred to my very favorite forum. And I circulate posts on local Facebook groups to encourage people to find TFO. Never thought of a CL post...Ken needs to "git er done" again. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

And I agree, people need to do their own research, but just as I was recently tarred and feathered for my fun and humorous thread about my big Oliver and his living room arrangements, I was harassed and lectured publicly for and privately for days and days that I was setting a bad example and new keepers will think it's ok (despite my continuous claim this was not ideal and was temporary)....Petco is setting an even worse example....while I was one small person, clearly stating non-ideal/temp conditions, Petco is a HUGE corporation and the general public looks to them for expert advice.

Thank you for standing up to Petco ! :)

Jacqui said:
sibi said:
Agreed. And the tort isn't a baby, but it can still flip in that ki d of a bowl.

Yes and we have had some hatchlings flip in plant saucers too. :( I am not saying the bowl they are using is the best, but it does work in this situation. I agree no doubt it is their most expensive one, that's just simple logic that a store should always display it's most expensive items to get folks to impluse buy them. I believe I have a bowl like that one even, I used it for a snake years back. :p :D

Yeah they do use their most expensive products like Sibi said .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
had some hatchlings flip in plant saucers too.

I totally agree with this....and have a couple stunt torts here that are always freaking me out....and after I offer a hand for traction they flip themselves back over and strut off like hey cool....

Jacqui is correct in pointing out that this is an old enough tort that it would be odd if it could not get out of the bowl....problem is that the dish shown is good for other reptiles (snakes, frogs and such) so an inexperienced person/clerk in the store would not think anything of it---after all, they have placed in the basics, water--food---hide....so in their mind they likely have done what the tort needs to survive (in a store where the objective is profit--not permanent)...

And yes, a tort can drown in that style of dish, yes that tort could ingest some of that substrate (I personally don't like but others use it with success---a point of preference is all) yes that tort could try climbing the glass, flip backwards, roll off the log right into the food and get its eyes full of fruity pebbles and land head first into the water---WEEELLLL, likely all of that is NOT going to happen but it certainly COULD happen....okay folks, lets not make this about who likes what dish and such and remember the thread was about the tort and a young lady in a quandary of what and if she should say something being she was a bit shy.....did I read that right? I say there are a number of variables involved here that no three people will 100% agree on....just saying is all :D

I was recently tarred and feathered for my fun and humorous thread about my big Oliver and his living room arrangements,

What yahoo gave you crap for that set up as a temp set up? Hell, some folks do that type of set up as a norm anyways.....if the tort is happy and the host is happy---who's business is it anyways. I personally dont have the shells running through the house here, but have had a CDT that needed to remain up a couple winters in a row due to his health and you bet he had some of the roost to rule....lol

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Ashley_Sheldon said:
Jacqui said:

I stand corrected on what it is (IF that's not a Russian Testudo horsfieldii), but I in no way believe that tortoise will drown in that dish.

I honestly dont know what it is , it just said "Testudo Tortoise" your probably right haha but it said they only get up to 8 inches so it might be a baby . I respect others beliefs :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ashley:

That tortoise shown in the picture is a full-grown Russian (Testudo Horsfieldii) tortoise. They don't get very big. If it's a male it is probably through growing. If it is a female it may grow a bit bigger.

It might be an idea to talk to the manager (humbly) and suggest that if they insist upon having that type of water dish in with the tortoise they might consider sinking it down into the substrate to make it easier for the tortoise to reach his neck in.

My grandson is a manager at one of the Petsmarts here in our area. He says that they have to set up the animals (the whole store, in fact) according to how the home office tells them to do it. So trying to work with what they have shown there is better than getting in their face about using different things.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne G said:
It might be an idea to talk to the manager (humbly) and suggest that if they insist upon having that type of water dish in with the tortoise they might consider sinking it down into the substrate to make it easier for the tortoise to reach his neck in.

Yes! Great idea.

Ashley_Sheldon said:
I honestly dont know what it is , it just said "Testudo Tortoise" your probably right haha but it said they only get up to 8 inches so it might be a baby . I respect others beliefs :D

That might be another thing you might talk to them about: their signs. They are open to folks not knowing what they are buying. I also think your Mom should have let you speak up at the time and share your views with the store. Would it have made a difference? Most likely not, but atleast you would have known you tried. That matters a lot. You might try writing a letter to the corporation, Have you thought about doing that?