1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
We are aware of current issues with the Tortoise Forum mobile app. We are working diligently to have the app updated to support all mobile devices again. As always, donations are greatly appreciated!

Phasing out our Mobile App

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by Josh, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Ask questions, share answers, talk torts! TFO Admin 10 Year Member!

We will be phasing out our mobile app in the coming months. I know so many of you use and love the app but the truth is that the company that I license it from isn't doing a very good job of supporting us. That's OK though because with our big upgrade that is coming (I promise, it's still coming! ;) ) The NEW TFO will be mobile-and-tablet-ready. I'm making it a huge priority to make sure all of you who access TFO on your mobile devices will have a superb reading and posting experience. I just wanted to give you all a heads up that the app will be going away at some point and that I'm working hard to make sure there's a better alternative in place before that happens.

Thank you all for your continued support for me, TFO, and each other!
    tortoisenoob42 likes this.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    You rock man. Thank you Josh.
  3. jaizei

jaizei Unknown Member Moderator 5 Year Member

I never saw the appeal of the app. Seemed to have restricted functionality compared to the browser version.
    fbsmith3 likes this.
  4. tortnmutt

tortnmutt Active Member

My heart skipped a beat for a minute but at second thought the app really doesn't do justice. It freezes, and doesn't let you see the threads you've interacted in without subscribing. Hopefully in the future there will be an app for alerts instead of having to log onto safari. Thanks for the heads up!
  5. Josh

Josh Ask questions, share answers, talk torts! TFO Admin 10 Year Member!

The app really doesn't do the full-site justice.
    In a perfect world, every device would have full functionality from the built-in browser. That's what I'm shooting for - perfection! ;) :)
  6. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

You go Josh:)
  7. tortnmutt

tortnmutt Active Member

I agree 100% I use the app because I have my phone with me always. But being on break from work I've had more time this week to use the actual website and low and behold when you want to search something the search feature actually works!!!
  8. mike taylor

mike taylor Well-Known Member

Is the app working yet? very time I try to get on the app it crashes . It doesn't say the shutdown code like it did when turned off for up grades .
  9. abclements

abclements Active Member

Mine keeps telling me it was unable to connect and to contact the forum admin. So I'm assuming that it is not working.
  10. keepergale

keepergale Well-Known Member

Same here
  11. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

I love the mobile app and will be really sad to see it go... The only problem I have with the mobile ready browser version is the advertisement banners - they make the screen really wide and it's kind of annoying when you need to zoom in but the screen moves to the side sometimes when scrolling down. And if you zoom out, it's small...
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1397553759.497147.jpg
  12. LoutheRussian

LoutheRussian Well-Known Member

Unless there are some pretty amazing changes to the mobile web version when the app goes I probably won't be participating on the forum like I do now, which will be a sad day for since I have began to make myself a home here. This forum has been a life saver for me and I mean that in a literal sense. The web browser is to much of a hassle and since I don't have a computer I can't go to the web site. I will be severely bummed out when the app goes. I don't question Josh's decision however, I know he would only be doing what is best for the forum. I apologize for my rant.

Thank you Josh for all you do

LoutheRussian
    Ashes likes this.
  13. T33's Torts

T33's Torts Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Luke.
    But I do trust that the update will help with the format issues.
    Ashes likes this.
  14. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree. :(
  15. LoutheRussian

LoutheRussian Well-Known Member

This forum has become more than just another Q and A site. I can't express how much this site has done for me.

LoutheRussian
    Ashes likes this.
  16. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Agreed, sir.
  17. mike taylor

mike taylor Well-Known Member

Yep, but Josh said he is keeping the app but going to replace it with a upgrade . Did I read that wrong or something? The up grades on the pc is awesome . I like my phone app better its with me everywhere I go so I can check in . I used the Google on my phone to see the forum and its hard to get around and see the smaller size page . So if the app goes its going to suck .
    Ashes likes this.
  18. Elohi

Elohi Well-Known Member

The app is easier to use than the mobile version of TFO but it's limited because so many parts of the app have never worked. The timeline and the messaging parts are all I use because the rest kinda stinks.
    The mobile version is fantastic except it's "floaty". If I'm scrolling down it doesn't just scroll down it floats about from side to side as well. And uploading pictures is next to impossible. I have tried like a hundred times and I've succeeded 3x.
    It either hangs up and never uploads them or it just stops doing so and goes back to having me select an image. Tapatalk obviously isn't in a hurry to fix the existing and persistent issues so I don't know which to use.

Elohi(Earth)
    Ashes likes this.
  19. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

There may be a size or resolution limit on the pictures. I would check the pictures to see if the smaller ones are being uploaded or if there is a pattern. Just a thought.
    Hope this helps!
  20. Elohi

Elohi Well-Known Member

There is. 5mb in posts and 10 mb in albums. They are iPhone pictures so I know they aren't really big.

Elohi(Earth)