Phew!!! And a question about becoming tame

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wrote a while back about my Russian who had stopped eating and was losing weight. He had lost 10g in 2 months. He wasn’t big to start with only about 85g. Im pleased to report he’s now eating fine and gained 20g. I did bump my temps up a bit but I don’t think that was it. I did a naughty thing and gave him a small piece of tomato which he devoured but I think it upset his stomach (I know Russians shouldn’t really have any tomato) he was not the same after eating it. He normally pooped every day but after he never went for 10 days. I’m just struggling slightly with the winter varied diet, he is a flower eater but not many flowing plants to eat at the moment other than pansy.

On another note, I wanted to ask, he’s still quite timid, he will occasionally eat from my hand, he’s till very young, I suspect around 12-18 months. As he grows older and is hopefully is with us for a long long time, will he become more tame or are Russians just generally timid and antisocial [emoji57]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Some tortoises are quicker to accept that you are not going to eat them than others. All tortoises are happiest with all 4 feet on the ground in a familiar space where they know, thanks to regular patrols, that there is nothing going to challenge them for territory or try to eat them. Some really don't enjoy being picked up at all.

He won't exactly become tame, but he will learn that you are the bringer of yummy food and come out to investigate in time. As he gets bigger and more confident, he may even enjoy a rub under the chin. No guarantees; tortoises have characters as individual humans do :)

Establish a routine so your little one learns what to expect and when. Resist the temptation to pull him out of his enclosure except for soaks.

Have the lights come on using a timer.

Start the day with a soak. Tidy the enclosure while he soaks and place food. You can do things to get you ready for your day while he soaks too.

Then replace him in the enclosure and leave him entirely alone to be brave and explore.

In the winter, the urge to tunnel underground and avoid the Russian climate is strong even if you live in California. They detect the reducing light levels and assume the worst. You will find activity and appetite increases in the spring. Keep the temperatures up, make sure it isn't getting too cold at night (a tiny one like this needs 26C minimum day and night) and make sure the lighting is very bright by day.

As for food, in winter few of us manage without supplementing with a good quality pellet food softened in water. I used Komodo.

For greens, write a list of the greens that you can buy in the supermarket (use their website for reference) and those that grow around you and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. It is a fabulous online search facility and you will be surprised by what is suitable - even brussels sprouts!
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many tortoises take about 3-4 years from hatching to really tame down and realize you are not going to eat them.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thanks both.
I did think for a while he wasn’t going to make it through winter losing that much weight but it seemed to be just a blip, he’s eating 2 helpings again.