Phlegmy sounding sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I have noticed a few times today a strange phlegmy sound coming from the new girl/boy... The snares are clean.. Eating fine but without much enthusiasm.. (Tony tears into the food this one kind of eats slow).... Not very active.. But does move back and forth between the basking area ,Hide and cool part..

The tortoise has been kept outside for the last 5 month..My buddy got it after the hurricane..The original owner didn't want to keep it any longer .. so my buddy took it to rehome)..That's how it got to me..

From what I was told for the last 5 month it was kept outside in a pen with no hide or heat source..

So that's the history..The question is..

Could the sound I'm hearing be the beginning of a respiratory infection.. Or are sulcata known to make that phlegmy clear there throat sound..

Ambient temp is 82-88*F Humidity is at 86% basking area at 100*F

Thoughts , advice?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I don't have an answer but I was thinking some daily soak's in warm water might make her a little more active.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hmmm....keep an eye on the newbie....as well as an ear. Did this tortoise go through the hurricane? or am I reading wrong? I would make sure to keep him in constant night temp of 85ish and day temps accessible of 100-105...

Not even a hide in his prior digs...wow, that is too bad...but glad you have him now :D and after he settles in I am sure he will be toooooo:p

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Ascott... The guy never brought the tortoise in during the Hurricane up here...told my buddy that he was tired of taking care of her...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well update.. She was in her hide at 830 am.. When I brought the food in...she got up and went right for the food... Ate with more enthusiasm and ate quite a bit even for a sulcata.. But still making that phlegmy noise...it's more pronounced when she eats...sounds like she has mucous.. Either in her throat, nose or lungs... But I also notice that when she gulps her food she will stop and take a deep breathe through her mouth(like Tony) and she sounds clear...

I'm debating taking her to the Vet... Other than the phlegmy sound she appears fine.. Not as active as Tony but she does walk around her enclosure to check things out and thermo regulate...

Her poop was solid, no discharge from the nares..If it is the beginning of a respiratory can they fight it off??

I'm increasing the ambient temp in the room to 90*F and cutting back the humidity...

I have been misting the enclosure with a pressure spray bottle and I did mist her face quite a bit day before yesterday to clean her up as she was covered in Mud..

Thoughts?

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
If you have a vet definitely take her. Usually by the time you hear these sounds, the infection could be well underway. Not something to "wait" and see about. It could only get worse and why not get a check up for peace of mind! I just did and I'm so glad I went-- mine had a whistle -- stuffy. Got some meds and doing better :)!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
She should also be quarantined from Tony until this is figured out. A vet trip might not be a bad idea. Maybe you are catching it early and she will make a speedier recovery than if you would have waited.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well first choice was angel memorial... No specialty vets on weekends... So off the list posted here..I have a emergency room appointment at VCA medical..

What is the best medicine for a respiratory infection??

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Good point- I separated mine and well- took both to the vet just in case. They were also dewormed (just in case). Hemi is getting a special shell treatment from me every night too. He's really doing great and it's only been a week. Keep us posted!!

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well its might be to late now... I have already closed up the coral fence so they cannot have ant physical or visual contact... But they do share the same room..I have no place to quarantine her except maybe loose in one of the spare rooms... But then I have to contend with the wife..

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Forgot.. Try to take a sample of your Torts poop in a zip lock bag-- or a sample from each. The test results should be back in 24 hours. Or by noon on Monday. Good luck!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am guessing Baytril is the medicine that will be prescribed but other keeper's will know for sure.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Are the sharing the same water source? That's what matters most- keep them separated on that front to be safe.

Tony the tank said:
Well its might be to late now... I have already closed up the coral fence so they cannot have ant physical or visual contact... But they do share the same room..I have no place to quarantine her except maybe loose in one of the spare rooms... But then I have to contend with the wife..

The good news is that you would only keep her in the spare room until you get the clean bill of health and the difference in the environment could stop the infection. Mine is also in a spare room. She stayed there all week and is recovering very well :) today she's outside -- warm enough and she started pacing-- she loves her outdoor home. Your doing the right things!

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
The only thing they share is the air in the room..I just tried placing her in a kiddie pool.. In one of the spare bedrooms.. She just crushed the sides and walk right out.. An to close the deal..she peed on the Carpet...

Well on my way to the Vet..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With no heat source or shelter, I'm not surprised she got sick. And yes, she is sick. Her sickness was induced by improper conditions, so its not likely that Tony will get sick too. They have already had lots of contact, so if he's going to catch it he already will have. Still best to keep them completely separated.

Medicating them is a mixed bag. The baytril will usually help with the respiratory, but it is not without side effects and risks. If it were my tortoise and I knew the cause of her ailment, as you do, I would give her the hot routine, as you are, and see if she can get better on her own. She's still eating some and active, AND you have corrected the problem that caused the symptoms in the first place. There is a very good chance that she will heal herself, although it might take weeks or months. Baytril is powerful stuff and I prefer to use it as a last resort. This is a very debatable topic.

Keep her warm and dry day and night. Shoot for an ambient of 85 24/7 with basking spots of 110-120 for 14 hours a day. Make sure you are measuring that temp at the TOP of the carapace, not the floor, so you don't burn the tops of her scutes. Fall is the worst, but also most common, time to encounter this problem. Keep the days longer so her body does not think the cold months are upon us. Do NOT let her cool off at night. Weekly soaks will help keep her nice and hydrated during this time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well just got back from the vet..The doctor believes it might be the beginning of a upper respiratory infection...She gave me several options one was exactly what Tom recommended...But if I wanted she would start her on antibiotics... And since I was already there.. I went with the antibiotics..she is taking Ceftazidime.. One shot every 72hrs...But here is the kicker..

She took a huge..(I mean huge even for a sulcata bowel movement).. And when we went to pick it up....It was all rocks and dirt..Not urates stones.. But actual rocks..one was the size of a peach pit...So she told me to watch her for possible impaction..so load her up in the wife's new Siena..and she decided to go again... This time it was normal ( what I have been feeding her) Mazuri , vegetables and orchard grass..So that may have been bothering her

I also want to say.. That right after the rocks came out.. She became very active.and started pacing the exam room..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am glad to hear about the clearing of the ick....The reason that I asked about the living through the hurricane is that there would have been constant wind, loads of water and no place to escape to...I was more worried about what was ingested as well as what type of gross water was around than a RI.

I completely agree with Tom. I would increase the temps exactly as he has outlined (as this is a large tortoise and can really benefit from the temps/arid conditions while healing).

I know that you have already started the antibiotics so the only thing that I would suggest differently right now, is the soaks should be done on a daily basis...antibiotics can deliver a hard blow to their kidneys...really need to increase the soaks to every day for like 30 minutes.
:D

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
So glad you were able to have her checked out. Keep us in the loop on her progress :) you are her angel! She's a lucky girl to have found you!

Status
Not open for further replies.