Phlegmy sulcata..Again??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well Tiny is sounding really phlegmy again... Spent the whole day clearing his throat and he gurgles when he exhales hard...Yes he has a light clear discharge from his nares ... but I don't think it's a respitory... He has been kept at a constant temp 85-87*f.. He is eating as well if not better than usual....only thing different is he has been eating quite a bit of cactus and a lot of zucchini squash... Which is making him pee copiously....

Could his diet be causing this...

Today he ate two big heads of romaine, 3lbs of zucchini,two very lg cactus pads and about 2-3 cups mazuri ...with some hay mixed in for good measure...

Thoughts?. Opinions??

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I'm not ruling anything out.. But I would think if it was some type of URI his appetite and activity level would go down...I have noticed it gets worst or more apparent when I soak him...He was soaked yesterday..

His enclosure for the last month has been really dry 20% to 0 humidity..during that period he was clearing his throat a lot ..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hector, was Tiny ever confirmed to have a RI? I wonder if he is a little stressy because of the winter and changing to indoors? you know?

You say he has clear runny nose? Or are we talking about a sound or two ? I mean you sound as though he had a situation before? What is your true gut feeling without hesitation?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
He had similar symptoms when I first adopted him... Vet thought it could have been husbandry connected and thought it would clear by itself.. I asked for Antibiotics after the third injection I stopped the antibiotic as Tiny was starting to become lathargic... Right after I stopped he imemediatly improved and appetite came back..

He has always sounded phlegmly... When I soak him he always opens his mouth and makes a sound like he is coughing up a phlegm...

My gut feeling is something is irritating his esophagus (not sure if it's even possible).. He sleeps, poops, eats and is active... The only time it becomes really noticeable is after I soak him or he eats something wet...then he's like that for a day or two...

Not sure if having next two 0 humidity in his enclosure then being exposed to a long warm soak loosens everything up..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hector, I recall you sharing you were having issues with trying to maintain humidity? I wonder if you provided him a spot in his enclosure that he could elect to retreat to that is set up a bit humid for him (like a box designed with opening for him to go in and out of and then maintain the box as a humid hide....? Perhaps he is too dry with it being winter and all? It also would be alot handier to maintain a warm humid hide on the smaller scale....IMHO that is...:D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I have set up the misting system in the enclosure and in his hide... I have it set now to keep it around 50% humidity... The system runs for 35 seconds 3x a day... But this has been a off and on again issue since I adopted him...every time I soak him he becomes really phlegmy...I usually pay it no mind... But today it sounded really bad... Was hoping someone could give me some insight on this...

Could it be he is all congested from the zero humidity..then when he is exposed to humidity it clears everything out??[/b]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am sure it is "possible"...this also happens with us human species you know?

Hector, I can not give you a "professional" opinion but only my opinion..... I am certain others will give their opinions and insight...have you tried to direct your question to some of the care givers that care for a multitude of your species....? in addition to the general post here for us all to take a poke at.....:p:p

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Spike has been doing the same thing off and on. Mainly when he eats his soaked greens with them dusted with calcium. Thought he was getting sick but have not seen any discharge. It is either from the powder dusting that might be getting into his nose or him just piggen out. Never does it when he is sleepin so that is a good sign.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
cactus is pretty slimey..
i would try to get him eating more dry hay... its better for him and more natural.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Laura said:
cactus is pretty slimey..
i would try to get him eating more dry hay... its better for him and more natural.

Laura..he has access to hay 24/7 and a pile of orchard grass...the only time he will eat it is when he gets a mouthful eating his Vegetable... Then he will continue to eat the hay then come back to the veggies...

He does eat quite a bit of it..since I see it in his poop..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
thats good, but if you feed less veggie,, he has to eat hay.. tough love.
Mix it well and start cutting back on the other stuff.
if he is eating well , drinking, active and not getting chilled.. i wouldnt treat him.. just watch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.