Phoenix AZ Leopard Tortoise House

Azsnoopy

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Quick question for those that own leopard tortoises in the deserts (Phoenix vicinity) of Arizona. We have moved Pinto our 3 maybe 4 year old Leopard tortoise to outside during the day and bring him in every night. His outdoor enclosure is east facing so he getting sun in the morning but then around noon it becomes more shaded. I also have his little burrow, food and water area under a make shift sunshade/sail material for extra shade. I am looking for ideas on what type of huts to get him. We were looking at a rabbit hutch for the moment or a wood dog house. I don't have the materials to cut wood. Also we have a slight black widow, ants and mosquito issue. I would love to see what some fellow Arizonans have as tortoise huts have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Quick question for those that own leopard tortoises in the deserts (Phoenix vicinity) of Arizona. We have moved Pinto our 3 maybe 4 year old Leopard tortoise to outside during the day and bring him in every night. His outdoor enclosure is east facing so he getting sun in the morning but then around noon it becomes more shaded. I also have his little burrow, food and water area under a make shift sunshade/sail material for extra shade. I am looking for ideas on what type of huts to get him. We were looking at a rabbit hutch for the moment or a wood dog house. I don't have the materials to cut wood. Also we have a slight black widow, ants and mosquito issue. I would love to see what some fellow Arizonans have as tortoise huts have.
Hutches and dog houses don't work. I tried to do that for years. Same with deck boxes and Rubbermade sheds. Here is what you need. Our climates are very similar:

It needs to be sealed up and well insulated for those winter nights that drop into the 30s. This will keep all the bugs, rodents and nocturnal predators out.

More views to show how it is built:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Since leopard tortoises won't hibernate, and they often to make the best choices for themselves (returning to the same place to sleep every night) you'll have to provide him with a place that he can be put into each night during winter and for those few days we get that are too cold to be outside. The best option is to build him an insulated tortoise house that can be heated.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The first line should have said "they often don't make the best...."