Photos- of Aldabra 1

TortyDxb

Location (City and/or State)
uae
Please comment on what you see if you have time, this youngster I feel is a female, and is skittish but getting better. Eating well and very active at times.

Would really like comments on pyramiding and the extent of it. She is a new guest.

Attachments

• 5B9757E1-4B21-42FE-8FFB-FA901B021553.jpeg
    5B9757E1-4B21-42FE-8FFB-FA901B021553.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 81
  • CA396DE1-8785-45FD-BB94-D96F6D64759B.jpeg
    CA396DE1-8785-45FD-BB94-D96F6D64759B.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 81556552-703A-4397-8AA3-166422159214.jpeg
    81556552-703A-4397-8AA3-166422159214.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 82
  • BCF4BE05-1034-4516-B352-7F8F2FF695E3.jpeg
    BCF4BE05-1034-4516-B352-7F8F2FF695E3.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 86
  • E744F1B4-4076-4A13-A9DC-6CF0B618A4D2.jpeg
    E744F1B4-4076-4A13-A9DC-6CF0B618A4D2.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 89

Alaskamike

South Florida
I posted on your other thread. Nice pictures!
The split Shute pattern on rear is interesting. Yes. There is slight pyramiding started. Just soak 20 minutes a day in warm (90-95f) water. As long as you have everything else set up well I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

She/he will be fine.

TortyDxb

uae
So today she is 4.1 inches long and 191g in weight, just to record it here.

TortyDxb

uae
Weighed in at 200g today post a bath.... I also am noting her (?) character is not as skittish as I thought, maybe even a bit dominant around the other more 'happy go lucky' Aldabra. Skittish around humans yes. Still unnamed.

TortyDxb

uae
I posted on your other thread. Nice pictures!
The split Shute pattern on rear is interesting. Yes. There is slight pyramiding started. Just soak 20 minutes a day in warm (90-95f) water. As long as you have everything else set up well I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

She/he will be fine.

@alsakamike

As I’m coming up to a month of having her, can you (and anyone else) comment on growth lines- what am I seeing, and is there any change- for the better on previous photos?

☔️
C49F967F-68DD-4DEA-928D-71921DBAE2C8.jpeg 201A344E-F545-4C12-9A4E-BD04D81703E1.jpeg EB8D6BD9-E57D-4C96-9510-07063FF2D386.jpeg

I got them bumpy and they are definitely runts so don’t hold back @Tom if you fancy a comment

Thanks !

Note to self- photo taken today - you are the best.

TortyDxb

uae
Those are very normal , healthy growth lines. No worries.

Thanks @Alaskamike

Looking at how smooth cupcake is (beautiful really) what are you doing re humidity, what is her daily exposure like in a 24 hour cycle? My guys are out in the day in whatever weather is out there, and back in for 12 hours at night in 75 degrees & 50-60% humidity (I will try and raise it somehow).

What regime would you have if you were me with these bumpy bundles of joy :) ?

From your photos of Cupcake you've definitely got a balance exercise/food/temps/humidity going beautifully.

Alaskamike

South Florida
A93FA3A2-08A6-487C-A5C6-C57B747E205A.jpeg Thank you.
What I did when she was young - < 2 yrs , was providing a heated box for night time use. I kept the box at around 80f.

It was not a sealed chamber , but I had a tupper container filled with water on a shelf in there. The water evaporated & raised humidity.

I soaked her at least 1/2,hr daily in 90-100f water about 1/2 way up her shell.

Her outside roaming area was about 10’ x 10’. Fully planted , with good shade too. I have a 2,000 sq’ lanai , and most days I’d bring her into there & watch her explore. Fed her there too; Mazuri, treats , hibiscus leaves & flowers , mushrooms, grape leaves , squash, romaine, chard, & whatever else I could find that wasn’t in her grazing area. A few times a week I’d sprinkle calcium powered on it. I’ve never really thought to limit how much she eats just what she eats.

Here in Florida our humidity stays high 80%+ about 8 mos of the year. I really think that helps. In the 4 dryer / colder months she was less active & I was putting coconut oil on her shell about 1x / week to insure it didn’t dry out ( you can read extensive threads about extra virgin coccontvoil -EVCO, in the “ Debatable “ section & decide for yourself if it’s a good idea ). Even on the coolest days it usually gets up to 70f with full sun.

I’ve never had her under heat lamps or UV lamps. We get plenty of sun here.

Now she has a new heated hide & about a 40’ x 50’ grazing area. Space grows as she does.

I still keep a container of water in her hide to evaporate for humidity. I still put EVCO on her a few times a month in the winter. And she grazes every day. But only once it reaches 70f+. She still gets the same food. But now it is 90% grazing. I give her a boiled egg once a month - she’ll & all & the calcium powder about 2-3x / month.

She slows her growth some in our 4 mo “ winter “. Spends 10-12 hrs / day in her hide. Some days even more. We’ve had a few exceptionally cold days she never came out at all.

So ... not telling you all this to suggest what I do or have done is ideal. Just my own husbandry catered to what I know & this particular environment.

CupCake is not large for her age (24lbs at 4 yo ). But seems healthy & active.

TortyDxb

uae
View attachment 228598 Thank you.
What I did when she was young - < 2 yrs , was providing a heated box for night time use. I kept the box at around 80f.

It was not a sealed chamber , but I had a tupper container filled with water on a shelf in there. The water evaporated & raised humidity.

I soaked her at least 1/2,hr daily in 90-100f water about 1/2 way up her shell.

Her outside roaming area was about 10’ x 10’. Fully planted , with good shade too. I have a 2,000 sq’ lanai , and most days I’d bring her into there & watch her explore. Fed her there too; Mazuri, treats , hibiscus leaves & flowers , mushrooms, grape leaves , squash, romaine, chard, & whatever else I could find that wasn’t in her grazing area. A few times a week I’d sprinkle calcium powered on it. I’ve never really thought to limit how much she eats just what she eats.

Here in Florida our humidity stays high 80%+ about 8 mos of the year. I really think that helps. In the 4 dryer / colder months she was less active & I was putting coconut oil on her shell about 1x / week to insure it didn’t dry out ( you can read extensive threads about extra virgin coccontvoil -EVCO, in the “ Debatable “ section & decide for yourself if it’s a good idea ). Even on the coolest days it usually gets up to 70f with full sun.

I’ve never had her under heat lamps or UV lamps. We get plenty of sun here.

Now she has a new heated hide & about a 40’ x 50’ grazing area. Space grows as she does.

I still keep a container of water in her hide to evaporate for humidity. I still put EVCO on her a few times a month in the winter. And she grazes every day. But only once it reaches 70f+. She still gets the same food. But now it is 90% grazing. I give her a boiled egg once a month - she’ll & all & the calcium powder about 2-3x / month.

She slows her growth some in our 4 mo “ winter “. Spends 10-12 hrs / day in her hide. Some days even more. We’ve had a few exceptionally cold days she never came out at all.

So ... not telling you all this to suggest what I do or have done is ideal. Just my own husbandry catered to what I know & this particular environment.

CupCake is not large for her age (24lbs at 4 yo ). But seems healthy & active.

So useful @Alaskamike Thank you!

Did you soak her in the mornings or evenings generally? And also in the initial heated box (that was not a closed chamber) what would be your guess at humidity overnight - 70 percent ish?

I agree with florida adding a nice safety net.

Also what do you think would happen if you just had let her graze and eat hibiscus and the ok'd bits without the Mazuri? I'm particularly curious on this one.

Alaskamike

South Florida
It’s fine.
I’m retired , so not much of a schedule :)
I’d soak when I got around to it. I liked the Mazuri as a well rounded addition. Still use it. Doubt it made a big difference really.

I did not have a hydrometer in the box all the time. But when I got one , yes. 70%+. Most of the time.

TortyDxb

uae
It’s fine.
I’m retired , so not much of a schedule :)
I’d soak when I got around to it. I liked the Mazuri as a well rounded addition. Still use it. Doubt it made a big difference really.

I did not have a hydrometer in the box all the time. But when I got one , yes. 70%+. Most of the time.

I like the Mazuri, just to know for sure there's a spread that've eaten - variety. Not using it tho.

I asked about soaking, because in the mornings, if soaked and warmed up I noticed more appetite- more growth?

Also I'm really glad you mentioned EVCO, yes I kind of followed a lot of your threads and ended up there. I like your conclusion of moderation and followed suit, once twice per month max.

Are you over the risk period for pyramiding now? could you come off the gas with soaking and humidity watch (I guess in Florida the latter is a natural thing really)

Alaskamike

South Florida
It seems the older they get , the more set the shell pattern is. Is there an age / size when no further pyramiding can occur ? I don’t know.

I do think in hot weather they need both shade & a place to sit in water. My plan is to dig mine a small pond this summer. She really likes sitting in her kiddie pool.