Photos of your DIY tortoise table needed...

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I will be redoing Tuleo's (Sulcata) indoor tort table (again) and I am hoping to see photos of YOUR creations. He is outside most of the day but comes in at dusk. The material I am using will be a full sheet of plywood as the base and I am toying with using vintage windows over part of it to trap humidity. Here is the kicker though - it needs to be aesthetically pleasing as this is in my living room and we are foster parents so we have every agency known to man in our home (so wires need to be contained, etc.)

If you have made your own tortoise table (especially if you don't have mad carpentry skills/you used recycled materials) - would you mind posting a photo below? I have searched the site/Google but could use more ideas.

Thank you!

brittjoslyn211

Here's a picture of mine I recently built. It's not completely done, still needs some decorating and lighting worked out. It's a 5 foot by 3 foot enclosure. Hope this helps a little! :)

Attachments

• 1432065722137.jpg
    1432065722137.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 103

WilliamC

Dallas, TX
Plants added to habitat.jpg Plants added to habitat1.jpg My first attempt at a table. Its 2X4 and not really big enough yet working on plans for a little larger and getting a lot of new ideas from the forum

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks everyone! Does anyone have a top for theirs?! We need an enclosed table to keep humidity in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My recently finished one:
id6hra.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is very cool! Is that Plexiglas? Does the top part just push in for access? I was pricing Plexiglas last weekend and MY GAWD that stuff is expensive!!
It is not Plexiglass. Just a clear plastic strip, It lift up for access.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom - where did you find the window for yours?!

Cyan told me about the lattice caps to use for tracks and that is just plexiglas cut at Lowes for me. The plexi is a problem thought because its warping and binding with the application of heat. Prior to turning the heat on it slid so beautifully and it was perfect. I'm planning on having glass cut, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I had a heck of a time getting the door thing squared away on this project. I intended to use a custom sized house window, but that just did not work out despite tremendous effort.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Cyan told me about the lattice caps to use for tracks and that is just plexiglas cut at Lowes for me. The plexi is a problem thought because its warping and binding with the application of heat. Prior to turning the heat on it slid so beautifully and it was perfect. I'm planning on having glass cut, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I had a heck of a time getting the door thing squared away on this project. I intended to use a custom sized house window, but that just did not work out despite tremendous effort.

now i gotta ask did you use 2 lattice caps? just side by side? im having a heck of a time finding a sliding track for glass.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
now i gotta ask did you use 2 lattice caps? just side by side? im having a heck of a time finding a sliding track for glass.

Total of 4 tracks. Top and bottom for each pane. Its about $6 for an 8' section of the stuff.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

I had the same problem and switched to glass, works much better now.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Total of 4 tracks. Top and bottom for each pane. Its about $6 for an 8' section of the stuff.

is there any gaps when you set them side by side that would let out heat or humidity?

sorry op im not stealing your post just a question i've been working at for a while

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
is there any gaps when you set them side by side that would let out heat or humidity?

sorry op im not stealing your post just a question i've been working at for a while

There is about a 1/4" gap, but it doesn't have much effect. There is about 4" of overlap, and that prevents much air movement. I don't advocate airtight enclosures for closed chambers, just reduced airflow. Every enclosure is different. Some need more ventilation than others. This new enclosure stays almost too humid since I'm not using any incandescent bulbs for heat.