Photos posted in the Android App don’t show in the iOS app or on browser version

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Nice little demonstration for @Josh using this post
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/cold-dark-room.123941/page-4273#post-1545942

Photos posted by @JSWallace in the Cold Dark Room using the Android app show on my Android tablet in the app
IMG_5941.jpg

But they don’t show in the Chrome browser (in this case on the same Android tablet)
IMG_5940.jpg

Or in the iOS app
IMG_5939.jpg

which gives you this message if you attempt to open them
IMG_5938.jpg

It’s as if the Android app operates in a world of its own. Especially as the Android app cannot see photos posted from iOS or the website.
Although, interestingly it can see the photos in this post which I made in the iOS app from my phone.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And Jane’s explanation

The ones on Friday I posted via the website on my phone...
Which we could see on other platforms
The ones yesterday I did via the app but had to add as attachments not via the photo icon. Any taken horizontally seemed to be ok but any vertical ones got turned to horizontal!
These are the ones in the post above

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Yeah... we're gonna have to ditch the app altogether. It's far too much trouble to maintain. It doesn't work well for what we're paying for it. It's a hinderance to the forum and the community overall.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yeah... we're gonna have to ditch the app altogether. It's far too much trouble to maintain. It doesn't work well for what we're paying for it. It's a hinderance to the forum and the community overall.
Oh please don't Josh. I would rather have an app with photo problems than none at all and I am certain that others feel the same. The crash in activity levels when there were no apps at all was sad to see. A huge portion of the world's population only uses mobile devices now and the website version isn't great on a small screen. (And search works in the apps!) It's a backwards step for this community if we lose one or both.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The forum will suffer dramatically if the app goes.
We will lose a large percentage of our traffic.
I don't use it and when i tried it was a pain in the behind, but for many it is there only link here.
Tortoises will suffer if their owners haven't got some way of reaching the TFO.
Last time it reduced visits to the Forum by at least half and many of our regular members were gone.

JSWallace

Josh, please don't ditch the app. I am sure I am not alone in only accessing the forum via the app ( and I am not of the younger generation!) . I have tried using the website on the phone but it is hard to navigate. I have learnt so much on this forum and made some really good friends and I think I would lose all that if the app was no longer functional.
That would be really sad for me and I am sure a lot of other people too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not computer savvy, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the app on my Kindle. I access the forum off the web address - www.tortiseforum.org. That works fine for me.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

I really REALLY hope you can find some way to keep the app. When the app was down, it was MUCH more inconvenient for me to check into the forum. :( And we lost some members entirely.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm sure we could all have a fundraiser!
I did wonder if TFO was registered as a not for profit with PayPal. If you are, you're eligible for the giving fund with reduced/removed charges. Also people can sell stuff on eBay with up to 100% of the proceeds going to the cause. TFO may not meet the eligible conditions.

My friend's Guinea Pig Rescue is registered for this and it really helps.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
Would it be possible to set up a small merchandise line for TFO? Proceeds go to TFO. Who wouldn’t want a TFO hoodie for the holidays? I mean come on!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Would it be possible to set up a small merchandise line for TFO? Proceeds go to TFO. Who wouldn’t want a TFO hoodie for the holidays? I mean come on!
The problem is who would run it ... it's not necessarily something Josh has time to do as well and I would understand if he didn't feel able to give someone else the responsibility of selling formal merchandise. I know the T Shirt sales done (last year?) took a huge amount of organisation for Yvonne and the Calendars are no small job either.