Picking and storing weeds

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
I'm preparing for my hatchling tortoise to arrive at the end of the month, and I'd like to start gathering or at least start thinking about how to store my tortoise's food. Spring is approaching in New York, and I know I'll eventually find myself picking weeds at the nearest park. Is there any recommended method for storing the weeds? And, how long do they usually last?

Last edited:

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Most weeds seem to wilt in my refrigerator. I get my best lifespan by rinseing the weeds and then blotting them dry. I can get two weeks fridge time by doing it this way.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Most weeds seem to wilt in my refrigerator. I get my best lifespan by rinseing the weeds and then blotting them dry. I can get two weeks fridge time by doing it this way.

That seems like a reasonable lifespan. I'll try that. Thank you!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
So, I'll guess you use grocery store greens in the winter, or plan to? Dry some of what you harvest along the way, and mix it back in with fresh while the weeds are still growing, then when you transition to grocery greens in the winter use some stocked up dry to mix in. That way the seasonal changes come about more smooth.

I feed much mulberry year round as I have dry for use in the winter and fresh periodically over the summer. It works well to do this.

Just a fan in a warm room is all that is needed to dry weeds and leaves on purpose.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
So, I'll guess you use grocery store greens in the winter, or plan to? Dry some of what you harvest along the way, and mix it back in with fresh while the weeds are still growing, then when you transition to grocery greens in the winter use some stocked up dry to mix in. That way the seasonal changes come about more smooth.

I feed much mulberry year round as I have dry for use in the winter and fresh periodically over the summer. It works well to do this.

Just a fan in a warm room is all that is needed to dry weeds and leaves on purpose.

For the winter, (and for now while it's still cold), I have a stockpile of organic dried herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs that I'll mix with Mazuri's Tortoise Diet LS; I'll feed my tortoise that mixture maybe three times a week.

I'll also feed the tort a variety of Spring mix greens from one of the organic grocery stores in my area.

I do plan to grow my own herbs though, which I'll definitely dry out as extra for the winter.

Thanks for the advice!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just wondering what type of hatchling you're soon expecting? Just make sure that you preserve greens that your tort actually likes. Some herbs are pretty powerful when dried and your tort might not like or consume. Grape leaves, hibiscus, grass, mulberry, dandelion, and plantain are some greens to try. Same thing with the Mazuri LS, many torts don't like the LS type.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Just wondering what type of hatchling you're soon expecting? Just make sure that you preserve greens that your tort actually likes. Some herbs are pretty powerful when dried and your tort might not like or consume. Grape leaves, hibiscus, grass, mulberry, dandelion, and plantain are some greens to try. Same thing with the Mazuri LS, many torts don't like the LS type.

I'll be getting a western Hermann's tortoise from a very reputable breeder (Garden State Tortoise). I'll definitely keep an eye on him to see what the tortoise prefers. Though, I'll still have to keep in mind that he needs a wide variety regardless of what the tort prefers. As recommended by the breeder, I'll only feed him the LS a couple times a week with the dried herbs. The LS is very low in protein