Pickles and Crusher

Joshualee67

Location (City and/or State)
NC
they grow fast and dont stop growing just cause they are in a small enclosure
U need to upgrade often or directly start with a big enclosure [emoji846]

Thanks. I’m just not wanting him to have stunted growth from his small enclosure. It will be upgraded soon though!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I really want mine to grow at a normal rate. But I don’t have an outdoor enclosure or a big indoor enclosure. It’s actually very small. I’m trying to get something bigger but I have limited space. Will he continue to grow even though his enclosure is small?

You’ve gotten yourself a tortoise that will get very big very quick.... He needs room to support that.. exercise is needed for digestion... There are some care sheets on this forum for sulcatas filled with all the proven and tested info to get you off to a good start. Have you seen them? If not, I’ll pin links for you.

Joshualee67

NC
You’ve gotten yourself a tortoise that will get very big very quick.... He needs room to support that.. exercise is needed for digestion... There are some care sheets on this forum for sulcatas filled with all the proven and tested info to get you off to a good start. Have you seen them? If not, I’ll pin links for you.

Yes I’ve seen them. I take him outside everyday and let him explore and eat.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Gotta think real big like from @Professor Brenda
0c569911-bc73-4859-8d99-f1a17333e889-jpeg.277620

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Very nice enclosures.

Thanks Brenda! This is just their sunning garden when I’m home. They still live inside mostly... Next year, they will graduate to big yards and I may take the divider out of this garden for a smaller breed rescue that needs it:)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
They’re looking great! Nice job. Btw are you still using the shell saver?

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Wow, I didn't know there was a product like that.. thanks
I would be careful putting anything on the shell. It could inhibit absorption of vitamin D from light, especially sunlight which is needed to process calcium and in turn to grow healthy bones and shell. I never put anything but water on the shell unless there is healing needed, then, Neosporan.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I was jest asking elliemay because i believe she did a little experiment awhile back

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
They’re looking great! Nice job. Btw are you still using the shell saver?

I use it about once a week after a long soak and brush scrub... I give them a nice massage and then buff’em out with a towel... if you remember, I only started this with Pickles... and then, I used it at least every other day... now they both get weekly moisturizing.. I use a virgin unrefined coconut oil on Toretto every now n then... his shell is much improved since I got him. I know that there is much controversy on this subject but i like it.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I haven’t updated on my babies in a while!
At 1year&5months......
Little Crusher weighs 3lbs9.2oz
&
Pickles. Weighs 6lbs 3.5oz
IMG_4156.jpgIMG_4155.jpgIMG_4158.jpg

This time last year, Toretto was 2years and 4 months old and he didn’t even weigh 5lbs... now he’s 20...
He moved “out” at 3... I bet these guys only get to live inside for 2.... [emoji848]

Chubbs the tegu

Ma