Pics for previous thread i posted -eye infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Hi , guys i was away for a while and i couldnt really post pic.
Its been already a week since my tortoise got shipped sick. Hes getting little better. He even eats food and takes poop, but still doesnt really move or open eyes unless hes eating or hiding at shelter. I used some eye drops and teramycin for the eyes and its getting way better than first day. Heres the pics. Im not sure still sure about his condition.

Attachments

• 2011-11-16 12.23.00.jpg
    2011-11-16 12.23.00.jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 2011-11-16 12.23.11.jpg
    2011-11-16 12.23.11.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 2011-11-16 12.23.17.jpg
    2011-11-16 12.23.17.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2011-11-16 12.39.26.jpg
    2011-11-16 12.39.26.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 114

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
This little one needs a vet check and fast. You need eye drops and they need to be given as directed by the vet. Can you get him to a vet for a health check?? You are his angel!

M

Maggie Cummings

Did we ask you about using a coil bulb? Those are the exact symptoms...

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Did we ask you about using a coil bulb? Those are the exact symptoms...

i use zoo med repti sun 10.0. whats coil bulb?

SailingMystic said:
This little one needs a vet check and fast. You need eye drops and they need to be given as directed by the vet. Can you get him to a vet for a health check?? You are his angel!

the vets are asking morea than 700dollars. im not able to pay for that

Tony the tank said:
Is it both eyes?? ..are you keeping the animal in the dark??

it was like that first day it came too me. Im trying to do my best, im not sure what i cant do more. im using eye drop and teramycin.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
This little one looks pretty sick! His eyes look sunken like he's dehydrated. I would get him to a vet asap! Where do you live?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
This little one looks pretty sick! His eyes look sunken like he's dehydrated. I would get him to a vet asap! Where do you live?

I live in nyc and vets here us so expensive. They ask u 85 dollars just for little talk and 700 dollars for week of care.im not able to afford that ...... Im a student and i have no money....

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I wish you were closer - I would take him to my vet for you. He looks really sick - I'm afraid he might not make it if you don't get him to a vet soon. I think you've done all you can for him - he probably needs fluids and antibiotics. Sorry I can't help you more. :(

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Keep him warm and hydrated... And no lights for a few days....if it is flash burn the darkness will make him feel better..

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
kimber_lee_314 said:
I wish you were closer - I would take him to my vet for you. He looks really sick - I'm afraid he might not make it if you don't get him to a vet soon. I think you've done all you can for him - he probably needs fluids and antibiotics. Sorry I can't help you more. :(

call around for vets, tell them your story & financial situation. if you can, speak to the vet directly & hopefully one of them will work with you on costs. you can also contact a herp society & see if they can recommend a vet to help you. Here are some links i found.

http://www.lihs.org/files/board.htm

http://www.wnyherpsociethttp://www.lihs.org/files/board.htmy.org/about_us

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Tony the tank said:
Keep him warm and hydrated... And no lights for a few days....if it is flash burn the darkness will make him feel better..

im soaking daily and i started not to use uvb for couple of days like you said.

zesty_17 said:
kimber_lee_314 said:

call around for vets, tell them your story & financial situation. if you can, speak to the vet directly & hopefully one of them will work with you on costs. you can also contact a herp society & see if they can recommend a vet to help you. Here are some links i found.

http://www.lihs.org/files/board.htm

http://www.wnyherpsociethttp://www.lihs.org/files/board.htmy.org/about_us

Is that like some kind of organization? Thank you for the informations.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
I know Animal Medical Center has a Tort vet....but I heard it was expensive too. Maybe you can call and work out a payment plan.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you can't pay the $85 for the exam can't you make payments? It looks to me like that $85 might just save his life. You don't need to pay $700 for a week of treatment, but I believe you do need to pay the $85 for the initial exam. I didn't take my glider to the Vet and he died. Is that what you want to happen? In the mean time, use a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb. Is your UVB light in a coil shape?

Soak him daily in strained carrots. That's baby food, just get the carrots. Soak him in that, a mixture of water and the carrots. Use half the container of carrots and enough water to bring it up to the bridge. The place where bottom shell meets top shell. It's called the bridge. So soak him in warm carrots for about 30 minutes. That means you'll have to put a light over him to keep him wram. So a 30 minute carrot soak, and using an incandescent bulb and you might seen a difference in a week. But he really needs a Vet. He's really sick and you need to take him to a Vet and show them just how sick he really is. Tell them you'll make payments. This tortoise could die, I am serious here. He needs a Vet.

I just googled Reptisun 10.0 bulb and it came back showing a Reptisun 10.0 COMPACT bulb! If that's what you have you need to turn it off immediately. Stop reading this and go look at your bulb. If it's the compact bulb please turn it off and in a few days your guy will improve. So look at your bulb and let us know...

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
If you can't pay the $85 for the exam can't you make payments? It looks to me like that $85 might just save his life. You don't need to pay $700 for a week of treatment, but I believe you do need to pay the $85 for the initial exam. I didn't take my glider to the Vet and he died. Is that what you want to happen? In the mean time, use a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb. Is your UVB light in a coil shape?

Soak him daily in strained carrots. That's baby food, just get the carrots. Soak him in that, a mixture of water and the carrots. Use half the container of carrots and enough water to bring it up to the bridge. The place where bottom shell meets top shell. It's called the bridge. So soak him in warm carrots for about 30 minutes. That means you'll have to put a light over him to keep him wram. So a 30 minute carrot soak, and using an incandescent bulb and you might seen a difference in a week. But he really needs a Vet. He's really sick and you need to take him to a Vet and show them just how sick he really is. Tell them you'll make payments. This tortoise could die, I am serious here. He needs a Vet.

I just googled Reptisun 10.0 bulb and it came back showing a Reptisun 10.0 COMPACT bulb! If that's what you have you need to turn it off immediately. Stop reading this and go look at your bulb. If it's the compact bulb please turn it off and in a few days your guy will improve. So look at your bulb and let us know...

Ok thanks i understand what i have to do. I think zoo med reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb is not compact bulb ur talking about. My uvb is about 12 inches away from 20 gallon tank do u think thats too close?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Could you please post pictures of your enclosure so we can see what you have in there and the lighting too? That would help. What is your substrate that you are using? What are your temps? A 20 gallon tank is not very big, is there a cool side and if so what are the temps there? Please tell us what you are feeding also.

pk2610

5 Year Member
Did you talk to the place where you got him from? I think you should be able to get them to pay for the vet bills and medicine. It was terrible that you kept getting sick babies. I lost a baby tort a month ago and I kept thinking if I took him to the vet early, may be I could have saved him. Your poor tort looks very sick so please don't delay in treating him with the proper medication. Time is critical here.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
When decide to keep an animal you must be willing to consider the costs- and proper vet care. Just go speak to your vet. I did this-- got meds, guidance and a newly reduced beak-- now my little guy is eating himself healthy. Take a poop sample too. Defiantly go :)!!

Someone mentioned exactly what I went through-- I got a sick tortoise from a pet shop and took it to a vet -- she was thrilled I was helping to save it-- and in turn helped me out :) ... I only paid for a consultation.. And recorded meds and a full tune up for my little one. Keep him warm with fresh greens nearby! But get it care... It really needs it...

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Could you please post pictures of your enclosure so we can see what you have in there and the lighting too? That would help. What is your substrate that you are using? What are your temps? A 20 gallon tank is not very big, is there a cool side and if so what are the temps there? Please tell us what you are feeding also.

My enclosure is perfectly i already posted my husbandary on few blogs and even vet, they its all good

Status
Not open for further replies.