PICS - My New Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Meet my new redfoot tortoise, which I acquired from a fellow tortoise keeper last week. As you can see he's a big BOY!

I'm not sure what redfoot species he is. Maybe Terry or someone out there knows.

I would like to breed him so if anyone has an adult LTC female for sale let me know. Proven of course, would be nice. :)

MaleRedfoot.jpg

MaleRedfoot2.jpg

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Nice looking red foot! Definitely looks male in the first picture since it appears to have the start of a "waist line". The second picture looks female judging by the curvature of the anal scutes. Sometimes they will straighten back out as they mature. I can't tell how long the tail is, looks short at first but as I look harder it may be bigger. The camera may be playing tricks on me. Don't be surprised if he turns out the be a she. Yours looks to be from Panama.

-Matt

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Pat don't mean to insult your intelligence.. you have a Northern female that looks like has some Colombian blood in her. A male that size would have a distinct concave plastron starting also!

What's her SCL?

ANALSCUTEID.jpg

A closer look.. notice tail over toward foot.. he was still young at about 10" SCL.. over 5 years ago -

ANALSCUTESEXING3.jpg

Actually would you believe he is available.. I'm down-sizing my Northern group.

AGuyanaMALE.jpg

Take a look on the Home page.. http://www.turtletary.com/main.htm

Call if interested.

Terry K

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
No insult taken. The guy I bought it from said it was a male but when I got it home and looked at it's tail, I questioned it, and thought it could be a female. I guess my gut instinct was right, as I thought it would have a much longer tail if it were a male.

This redfoot is about 9 inches long and is the first one I have ever seen this big up close so I was really sure about it's gender. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm happy it's a female and I will have to check out your male Terry.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Wish I could get lucky enough to find a female like that around here! I have a male about 10" or so, and I'm sure he would love to have a female. I had seen a 16" female for sale at one point locally (saw her in person, and she was impressive!!!) but I did not have enough money or space.

Good luck with the tort!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm not getting any better at this because I would have definitely said that looked like a male to me. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Me too, Candy. With almost every other turtle or tortoise, the further away from the body the cloaca is, its a male. And the cloaca on this tortoise is way out to the end of the tail. Well...live and learn!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
Me too, Candy. With almost every other turtle or tortoise, the further away from the body the cloaca is, its a male. And the cloaca on this tortoise is way out to the end of the tail. Well...live and learn!

Yvonne it's relative.. see how "stout" the tail is! The female redfoot tail is typically about 1/4 [ or less ] the length of the males. This female has a tail with a 'different' configeration(sp?). I happen to have a Brazilian that is similar.

Terry K

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Some other things to look for are:

- The angle formed by the two anal scutes- the females tend to be about a 90 degree angle, while the males are almost a straight line across.

- The gap between the points of the anal scutes and the marginals. If the gap is tight, it is probably a female. A wider gap, that the tail can swing through, is probably a male.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Awww What a cutie :D Congratulations, she looks soooo sweet!
Terry, I love the last pic of your male, they would do a very nice couple :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Madkins007 said:
Some other things to look for are:

- The angle formed by the two anal scutes- the females tend to be about a 90 degree angle, while the males are almost a straight line across.

- The gap between the points of the anal scutes and the marginals. If the gap is tight, it is probably a female. A wider gap, that the tail can swing through, is probably a male.

Sorry gang.. I thought that was what the pics were showing.. see what happens when I try to think and 'assume' that to be common knowledge...

NERD

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
DSC03195.jpg
Does this pic show the curve well? I was told Jack was about 13 when I got him 7 years ago? Any guesses if he is older?
DSC03196.jpg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
TortoiseNerd is correct. It is most certainly a female.
I would also agree in that it appears to resemble an animal of Colombian or Venezuelan origin although there is no way to actually tell without knowing the details of its parents.
Very nice tortoise too.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Nay said:
DSC03195.jpg
Does this pic show the curve well? I was told Jack was about 13 when I got him 7 years ago? Any guesses if he is older?
DSC03196.jpg

I believe that looks like a male judging by the plastron and the tail.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
OOPs didn't mean to misdirect this tread. My pic shows my male(which I know to be a male) Just to show his nice bevel, curve, concaveness, of his plastron. His shows up so clearly I thought I would be helpful. This tread was from Pat with his new, male(female) Redfoot. Sorry
NA

Status
Not open for further replies.