Pics of my first Hermann

Status
Not open for further replies.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Here he is... He's already had his first bath and meal! Actually, I was surprised at how quickly he stomped on the food I set out - a Rose of Sharon flower and leaf from my yard. This was last night. He did not eat what I put out this morning - a mix of rose of sharon, romaine, and shredded carrot...plus I sprinkled the calcium for the first time..

A few observations and questions:

1. He/she is very inactive... I realize it's only a little guy (2 months) but I thought he would have been a bit more active. Is this normal?

2. I noticed that when he was awake yesterday and this morning, he seemed to breath awkwardly.. his head would bob up and down with breaths. Is this normal? I hope he doesn't have a respritory problem.

3. He has not entered his new "hide" - It is a toilet paper role..just temporary until I get something better. Perhaps it's too small? any thoughts?

Thanks, and I will keep you updated..

DSCN2713.jpgDSCN2720.jpgDSCN2710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
siwash said:
Here he is... He's already had his first bath and meal! Actually, I was surprised at how quickly he stomped on the food I set out - a Rose of Sharon flower and leaf from my yard. This was last night. He did not eat what I put out this morning - a mix of rose of sharon, romaine, and shredded carrot...plus I sprinkled the calcium for the first time..

A few observations and questions:

1. He/she is very inactive... I realize it's only a little guy (2 months) but I thought he would have been a bit more active. Is this normal?

2. I noticed that when he was awake yesterday and this morning, he seemed to breath awkwardly.. his head would bob up and down with breaths. Is this normal? I hope he doesn't have a respritory problem.

3. He has not entered his new "hide" - It is a toilet paper role..just temporary until I get something better. Perhaps it's too small? any thoughts?

Thanks, and I will keep you updated..

Hey Rob!
What a cutie! Name??

If the little guy is in a glass terrarium, I would consider changing it. For a little one like that a under-bed rubbermaid (not clear is perfect) Glass does not provide enough air circulation and will drive the little guy crazy with frustruation as he will be curious and want to get out, if he can see through the walls.

I have three babies, the first I adopted is just six months. With him, the older he gets the more active he has become. When they are very wee and thrown into a new environment it takes some time for them to get used to and feel comfortable with their new surroundings. As long as he is eating and getting adequate water, I'm guessing he is fine :)

To my knowledge all of the babies breathe that way :D. Their little lungs are compressed within their shell...so something has to move when they take a breath...

I would try the wash cloth for a hide until you are able to get something else?? An upsidedown pot, a half log..lots of different ones that my guys like in their habitats.

Best of luck!
Cheers, Carley :)

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Thanks..he is cute!

i think i will stay with the aquarium set up. It probably won't kill him/her! plus, it's great for viewing.

He seems to be eating well now.. fed him a few minutes ago. HE ate clover, mulberry leaves, plantains, dandelion leaves, hibiscus flower - all from my garden! this should work until the frost arrives!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
Thanks..he is cute!

i think i will stay with the aquarium set up. It probably won't kill him/her! plus, it's great for viewing.

He seems to be eating well now.. fed him a few minutes ago. HE ate clover, mulberry leaves, plantains, dandelion leaves, hibiscus flower - all from my garden! this should work until the frost arrives!

Hello Rob

I guess it depends of the tortoise, but mine was very shy and very stressed when she used to live in an acquarium, plus the humidity level was not good for her. Now that she lives on a tort table I can see that she is happier, she is more active than before.

Good luck with her :D

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
I will see how it goes with this set up for now... if it seems that he/she is not acclimatizing, then i may very well make the switch..

thanks fir the input!

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi and congratulations of your new tortoise! The little ones do spend a lot of time resting and sleeping.

As Carley says, you can see a tortoise breathing, all the organs are crammed in and they don't have a diaphram.

Little ones need a shallow bath every day to prevent dehydration.

Personally I'm not in favour of vivariums but if you are using one, try and improve the ventilation as a lack of air circulation can be a problem.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Rob, That is one cute little Herman you have. If you feel it is getting stressed or trying to climb through the glass, by the open vewing area of the Aquarium place some paper or tape on the outside up to the level it can't see over. Keep an eye on the heat and humidity and it should be ok, for now. New hatchlings do sleep and hide alot as they get more comfortable with their enclosure they and a little older they will venture out more.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
latest humidity reading: 44%

temps are good ranging from 34C at the high end to 25C at the cool end (95-77F)

I will consider putting some tape around the glass... or get creative and put something more natural looking like stone..

he's in has hide as i type this... so cute!

I will soak him again tonight.. but i think i will skip a meal today... don't want him eating too much

it's in the mid-80's here today in toronto.. maybe he needs some fresh air!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
latest humidity reading: 44%

temps are good ranging from 34C at the high end to 25C at the cool end (95-77F)

I will consider putting some tape around the glass... or get creative and put something more natural looking like stone..

he's in has hide as i type this... so cute!

I will soak him again tonight.. but i think i will skip a meal today... don't want him eating too much

it's in the mid-80's here today in toronto.. maybe he needs some fresh air!

I am happy your little one starts to feel at home :D.

I dont know if it is correct (please someone tell me if I am wrong) but my vet told me that a baby tortoise should eat everyday. Since your little Hermann is a baby, maybe you should feed him everyday.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
He fed on wild weeds in my garden this evening! plantains, dandelion, clover, hibiscus, and some other weed i cannot identify... but he liked it and he seems to be fine now... sleeping away in his hide... he is burrowed in the coconut shavings... i can barely see him!

he loves his baths... drinks a lot while in there. I think he is going to be one healthy and strong adult... walked a bit on the natural terrain in my garden..

thanks to all for your informative suggestions

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
He fed on wild weeds in my garden this evening! plantains, dandelion, clover, hibiscus, and some other weed i cannot identify... but he liked it and he seems to be fine now... sleeping away in his hide... he is burrowed in the coconut shavings... i can barely see him!

he loves his baths... drinks a lot while in there. I think he is going to be one healthy and strong adult... walked a bit on the natural terrain in my garden..

That is very great, he seems to enjoy your yard and and his baths :D

Did you pick a name for him/her?

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
siwash said:

Great! You should consider letting him spend more time in your garden than inside his vivarium since the weather is still relatively warm. Just make sure he cannot escape and there's no predator.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
HI!

The food plants you mention are excellent, but don't feed things that you don't know what they are. Some tortoises will eat anything green, and babies will try and eat your finger! Some people reckon that they get a better idea as they get older whats good to eat, but please don't think your little one would know if a plant was harmful.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
he ate a little weed before i had a chance to take it away..!

I think the weed is ok. I took care of an adult Russian for a year about 2 years ago.. the Russian ate the exact same weed regularly! It sort of looks like a clover..same size.

I have not come up with a name yet.. I was going to call him Hermy, but Isa already took that name! :)

maybe Leonardo! Or Chester.. but i still don't know if it is a male or female.

Can you tell at this stage? it's only 2 months old!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
he ate a little weed before i had a chance to take it away..!

I think the weed is ok. I took care of an adult Russian for a year about 2 years ago.. the Russian ate the exact same weed regularly! It sort of looks like a clover..same size.

I have not come up with a name yet.. I was going to call him Hermy, but Isa already took that name! :)

maybe Leonardo! Or Chester.. but i still don't know if it is a male or female.

Can you tell at this stage? it's only 2 months old!

Rob

If you want to call him Hermy, There is no problem with me or with Hermy ( I asked him
:p ) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.